Remote ID Options

Reaction score
anyone found a simple Remote ID option for older DJI products? I'm looking at the Holy Stone, but also might just buy a newer drone with Remote ID included.

I'm a Part107 pilot but don't fly much...I'm also a fixed-wing pilot, so I'm not inclined to ignore remote ID and risk eventual enforcement action

Reactions: brigerdrones
By "fixed wing", do you mean r/c, or manned pilot?

If you're a manned pilot too, you have a very good reason to comply. Any 107 violation can transfer over to your manned ticket.

To answer your question, get the Holy Stone and then register your drone accordingly. Which older DJI do you have? Some DJI legacy drones can become RID compliant via firmware update.

I have a 3 pro....old, but still capable for my needs.

Yes I'm an IFR Private Pilot.....not messing around with the regs. My plane has public tracking, and I don't really have a problem with my drone having it even though <400 there is no reason we should be having conflicts

anyone found a simple Remote ID option for older DJI products? I'm looking at the Holy Stone, but also might just buy a newer drone with Remote ID included.

I'm a Part107 pilot but don't fly much...I'm also a fixed-wing pilot, so I'm not inclined to ignore remote ID and risk eventual enforcement action
I purchased the Holy Stone RID. It costs me around $80 usd.

I got my holy stone at Amazon it was 89.00. I bought the holder from pixel. I flew my P4A yesterday for flight trials. I couldn’t tell of any I’ll affect,s. I made sure I was broadcasting on the rid module before takeoff withe the drone finder app.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
I got my holy stone at Amazon it was 89.00. I bought the holder from pixel. I flew my P4A yesterday for flight trials. I couldn’t tell of any I’ll affect,s. I made sure I was broadcasting on the rid module before takeoff withe the drone finder app.
What is the app for the iPhone? I can’t find Drone Finder in the App Store.

Reactions: Droneted
These are the two I'm aware of. I use Drone Scanner periodically to confirm my RID broadcast modules are working. I haven't tried Air Sentinel.
There don't seem to be many options at the moment. I'd be interested to learn about others.

The fewer apps the better. I’ve tried the iOS version of Drone Scanner and it will see Bluetooth transmissions, but not WiFi due to limitations of WiFi in iOS. Here is the link to it Drone Scanner

According to their documentation the Android version will also detect WiFi transmissions from RID modules depending on your equipment and version of Android you are running.

I have a Phantom 4. Who sells the cheapest remote ID to comply? Does it come with its own battery? I suppose it has to have some kind of power. Thanks for any information.

The HolyStone Remote is one of the cheapest at $89 and does have its own battery that charges from 5V USB. Has a 5 hour duration on a full charge.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Is it just a matter of putting it on the drone, charging the battery and go or does any programing have to be done or should I say what else would I need to do. Thanks for the help.

You download the HolyStone ‘Drone Go2’ app to program and activate the module.

There is Velcro tape to attach the module to the aircraft. Make sure you do not place it in an area that will interfere with the GPS reception of your aircraft.

@IronSky1 makes a 3D printed mount that you may want to consider using too.

so I bought the Holy Stone...you link it in their app, and then you register it on the FAA website. This thing is so tiny, I can't imagine anybody anywhere would be close enough to pick up my signal, BUT I'm legal so I'm happy.

My old Phantom works fine for my needs, so this will buy me some time until I really need more.

Do you have a remote ID on your Phantom? I need to get one for mine. Still trying to decide what to get.

Looks like this is the unit I'll have to purchase for my standard Phantom 4.

Anyone suggest a good position on the P4 before I start experimenting with it?

AD

You need to mount it in an area that will not block GPS reception by the aircraft. Not sure if all Phantoms have the GPS antenna mounted in the same place. Someone like @msinger or @Droneted may be able to shed light on that subject.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl