Remote Controller Firmware Upgrade Issue

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone on this forum has come across the following issue I am having with my Phantom 3 Pro. The aircraft has had a successful firmware update to the latest (as at 29th August 2016), as have all three batteries I have. I believe, in fact I'm sure that the remote controller has also had a firmware update, to what I believe is the latest (version 1.6.0 I believe as I write without looking it up again).

Occasionally I use my iPad mini 2 with the Go app for flying. Other times I use my iPhone 5s.

The issue I'm having is that when I check the overall status when using the iPad I get a firmware update warning. I go through the procedure to update it and reboot the controller only to find the update warning is still there. However, when I use the iPhone 5s and check the overall status there is no warnings of a firmware upgrade being required. It shows that 1.6.0 is installed. I believe this is accurate.

So does anyone know why the iPad is reporting an upgrade being required when the controller has already got the latest firmware?

A clue might be in that the notice on the upgrade section shows the current firmware as unknown (not so when using the iPhone 5s).

I believe this is a simple data issue whereby the firmware recorded to the Go app on iPad is not registered. Any ideas?

Does you still have that problem with your iPad Mini 2 if you start everything up like this?
  • Turn on remote controller
  • Turn on Phantom
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Start DJI GO

I wonder if anyone on this forum has come across the following issue I am having with my Phantom 3 Pro. The aircraft has had a successful firmware update to the latest (as at 29th August 2016), as have all three batteries I have. I believe, in fact I'm sure that the remote controller has also had a firmware update, to what I believe is the latest (version 1.6.0 I believe as I write without looking it up again).

Occasionally I use my iPad mini 2 with the Go app for flying. Other times I use my iPhone 5s.

The issue I'm having is that when I check the overall status when using the iPad I get a firmware update warning. I go through the procedure to update it and reboot the controller only to find the update warning is still there. However, when I use the iPhone 5s and check the overall status there is no warnings of a firmware upgrade being required. It shows that 1.6.0 is installed. I believe this is accurate.

So does anyone know why the iPad is reporting an upgrade being required when the controller has already got the latest firmware?

A clue might be in that the notice on the upgrade section shows the current firmware as unknown (not so when using the iPhone 5s).

I believe this is a simple data issue whereby the firmware recorded to the Go app on iPad is not registered. Any ideas?
Is your IPad connected to the Internet as well? The app needs to talk to DJI servers in order to correct this issue. I had the same problem once. It may take a few restarts but it worked for me. Otherwise try reinstalling the app.

Does you still have that problem with your iPad Mini 2 if you start everything up like this?
  • Turn on remote controller
  • Turn on Phantom
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Start DJI GO
I will try that this minute. Hold tight while I get it all back out of case.

I started the remote controller first.
Then I turned on the P3
I waited 30 seconds at least
I opened the Go app fresh

The status bar shows Disconnected.
Pressing the disconnected bar reveals overall status as 'Normal'

Yes it is connected to the internet. After now doing MSINGER suggestion I have no camera as the P3 is not connected (no camera feed to Go app). So will now turn everything off and check the status with a correct startup sequence.

Now started the Go App first.
Then the controller only.
Overall status is showing firmware upgrade required. In the associated box which is ticked as Firmware Downloaded, the small text at the end of the line states Firmware Version 1.6.0

Now started the Go App first.
Then the controller only.
Overall status is showing firmware upgrade required. In the associated box which is ticked as Firmware Downloaded, the small text at the end of the line states Firmware Version 1.6.0
With the controller and the AC on, restart the app. Do you still see the same thing?

Excellent! Glad you got it going, however the sequence that msinger gave is the correct way to start the aircraft. But sometimes you just got to try different ways to solve issues. ;)

Interesting. I don't know if that has totally solved the issue as I am now away from home for a few hours. However I am surprised at that sequence for starting it. I was led to believe that it was Go app first followed by the controller and lastly the craft. That is how I've always done it and experienced no problems.

I will post the final test result when back home later. Thank you for all the help.

Thank you for helping solve this minor issue. I have checked the overall status and the original issue over firmware upgrade has now disappeared. It would appear that the start up sequence that I had been using was actually wrong.

WRONG SEQUENCE
- Go App
- Controller
- Craft

CORRECT SEQUENCE
- Controller
- Craft
- wait 30 secs
- Craft

Thank you for sorting this out.

Recent Posts

Members online