Remote control GoPro w/o wifi

Reaction score
As we "all" know, gopro hero3+ has a wifi remote, that DJI says not to use because its interfere with controls.

Is there any other way of controlling the GoPro midair? I see that i should have bought the Vision+. But that is to late now that i have P2, H3-3D and Hero3+Black. Its like i'm already bound up with expensive equipment.
And with the vision+ i cant use the camera for other things..

Any tips? Or can i just forget it completely?

I don't necessarily think you "should have bought the Vision" so don't feel like you've gotten something inferior, you're better off thinking like your next statement, with the Vision models the camera doesn't do you any good in any other application, with the GoPro you can use it for anything.

The P2 non-vision's RC works on the same frequencies as wifi.. it's not wifi just the same frequencies that's why you can't have the gopro's wifi on, or else as your Phantom gets farther from you (the RC), the local gopro's wifi can override the signal from your RC and the Phantom flies off and is lost.

so no, there's no direct control of the gopro camera in midair. If you're taking video, just start the video before you take off and stop it when you land... use editing software later to snip out the bits you want to keep, even the free gopro video software works well for that and there are plenty of free aftermarket video editors.

If you want stills, there's 2 ways to accomplish: personally I just put the gopro in timelapse mode and tell it to take a photo every 1 or 2 or 5 seconds... all you need to do is hover for a few seconds and you know you got your shot... sift through and delete all the extra pics later.
Other folks here say there's a mode where you can be recording video and take stills at the same time, but they also say those still images aren't quite as high quality as if you're only taking stills... I can't verify, I've never played with that mode I always just record video or take pics.

all you need is a couple 16GB cards, there's pretty much no way you're going to fill one during the limited flight time of a Phantom before you have to come back and land to swap batteries, just swap in a new memory card in the gopro too. 16GB Class10 MicroSD cards are like $10 these days, pretty cheap. I see 3 packs for under $30 all the time.

for actually changing the GoPro settings on the ground, I turn the wifi on and use the ipad app which makes it a LOT easier to change resolution, picture mode, etc. but you gotta be sure to turn the wifi back off before flight. You need to be careful with that of course one time I almost flew off with the wifi still on but I noticed the blue blinking light on the gopro as soon as I took off.

in the end it might be a teensy bit more effort on your part but I am way happier with the gopro version. plus if you decide to add FPV the systems you can add go much farther than the Vision's wifi fpv.

You can control the Vision camera but good luck getting it to shoot anything close to the quality of the GoPro. Like QYV says, there's little need to have remote control during flight. In fact, I can't think of any reason to remote control the GoPro while recording. In technology, we call that "functionality looking for a need". Get your settings dialed in before you fly, hit record and off you go.

You can set the GoPro up to take 14.4 video and also take 12mp pics every 5 sec or greater. I use it all the time and it works great.

Ian is right, just set it up and no need to worry just delete what you don't want.

Tom

Bear in mind that if you do photo+video simultaneous, the stills are of significantly worse quality than in timelapse mode. They are of the same resolution if you shoot 1440p but they are much more compressed with very visible artifacting.

The only problem is that i need FPV for flying where I need to take pictures..
If i set my gopro to timelapse, will the gopro still output video for FPV? If thats the case its no problem anymore :)

A lot of people have asked me to photo their houses from above. And i cant circle around there like an newb, trying to get the right picture. With FPV i can atlease see where the cam is taking photos :) Then i can hover for a couple of seconds, just to get 3-4 pictures, and then get into next position..

But off course i see what you guys are saying, and i agree with you. I have seen pictures from gopro vs vision+, and its a difference :) Thank you for taking the time to answer! appreciate it!

Yes, you can still see the output from the GoPro while in timelapse mode. The feed will blank for about 1/2 second each time it takes a picture though. I set mine to 1 shot every 5 seconds and it's fine.

This is however, one of the reasons I have 2 cameras that I can switch between.

Rilot,

Thank you for the info on the difference between time laps and video/photo modes.

My main use is photos for real estate and really did not know of the difference because I never noticed the difference between the file size. It seems that in video/photo in 14.4 a pic is 2.8, in time laps the same shot is 4.4, and in just still, which you can't do when flying, is 6.7.

Thank you again for the heads up it will help my picture taking skills.

Tom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik