Regulations for Spain

Reaction score
This is my first thread post and I am hoping to get some up to date information on the regulations for flying drones in Spain. I am a little worried in that I have just ordered a Phantom 3 pro and have been waiting a few weeks for to arrive. Too late to stop the order! I have now read on the web that Spain banned all drones (except those flown by the armed forces) with effect from the 15th September 2015. When I researched the regulations before buying the rules only prohibited commercial use and non commercial use seemed to follow the rest of the world.
I could have a very expensive table decoration so would really appreciate some information from anyone who might know what is going on over here.

This is my first thread post and I am hoping to get some up to date information on the regulations for flying drones in Spain. I am a little worried in that I have just ordered a Phantom 3 pro and have been waiting a few weeks for to arrive. Too late to stop the order! I have now read on the web that Spain banned all drones (except those flown by the armed forces) with effect from the 15th September 2015. When I researched the regulations before buying the rules only prohibited commercial use and non commercial use seemed to follow the rest of the world.
I could have a very expensive table decoration so would really appreciate some information from anyone who might know what is going on over here
That's horrible if that is true-- IMHO everyone in almost every "civilized" country at some time in the future will be severely restricted in even the hobby use of the technology because of the potential bad uses. The no fly zones are expanding every week in the USo_Oo_O.

I can only see stuff about commercial drones which is probably similar to the USA

Spain: temporary regulations on commercial use of drones approved

So NO ban even for commercial

Thanks for this link. The problem seems to come from the following extract (a translation into English) from a guidance document issued in April 2014 and reinforced only a few days ago.

"Aeromodelismo activity is regulated by the Royal Aeronautical Federation of Spain and in addition, each region and each municipality may have its regulation practice this sport or recreational, but they must always respect the general aviation legislation.
Model aircraft flying below 100 meters high and can not fly over or on urban population groups (beaches, concerts, the streets of any city, etc ...) cores. They must fly in designated areas. Otherwise, sanctions can be assumed and should be reported.
Therefore individuals who acquire a general store a lightweight and easy to use system with radio control (R / C) and GPS, with or without built-in camera, computer or buy a kit to assemble a multirotor with autopilot, with a mini- camera, or build themselves an airplane for FPV (flight "first person view") with front view camera, autopilot, streaming video, may only be used in designated areas under the regulation rules model aircraft activities. Should consult the rules of your municipality or autonomous region, also it is recommended to be put in contact with a model airplane club in your area to fly model aircraft safely. In no case they may use for professional or commercial activity."

In a tinpot country like Spain I am not suprised. Catalonia seems to be going for independence so each region is different.
Spain has 2 police forces - one is almost a military Police force.
Having said that I have always found spain very laid back and not very hot on enforcing many laws. It is a joy to drive around with almost no speed cameras and no cctv.
Personally I would just use common sense and try to stay out of trouble.

On another level I am surpised companies like DJI don't get together to lobby governments and stop dimwits brining in laws about things they dont understand.
I am still amazed that you can't fly in a US National Park miles from anywhere and yet you can fly in the middle of a big city!!!

In a tinpot country like Spain I am not suprised. Catalonia seems to be going for independence so each region is different.
Spain has 2 police forces - one is almost a military Police force.
Having said that I have always found spain very laid back and not very hot on enforcing many laws. It is a joy to drive around with almost no speed cameras and no cctv.
Personally I would just use common sense and try to stay out of trouble.
It has changed a lot here now. The government and local authorities are very short of money, speed cameras and other ways of fining people are now very common so taking a risk, especially with the number of Guardia (military) police around is really a non option. But thanks for your comments.

On another level I am surpised companies like DJI don't get together to lobby governments and stop dimwits brining in laws about things they dont understand.
I am still amazed that you can't fly in a US National Park miles from anywhere and yet you can fly in the middle of a big city!!!
And you cant fly around stadiums, and you cant fly where local ordinance prohibits it, and you cant fly in your yard if the neighbors don't like it-- and on and on and on:confused::confused::confused::confused:-- the long and short of it-- stay low profile:D

I totally agree with you there must be a lot at stake for these companies especially with the explosion in sales. I would much prefer sensible guidelines or rules to allow all responsible drone users to enjoy their hobby or business.

It has changed a lot here now. The government and local authorities are very short of money, speed cameras and other ways of fining people are now very common so taking a risk, especially with the number of Guardia (military) police around is really a non option. But thanks for your comments.

I was on holiday in Spain in December last year. I drove from Bilbao down south and stayed in Cordoba. I covered 3,000 miles and spent a lot of time exploring the lovely mountains. It is one of the most mountainous countries in Europe.
I only saw about 4 speed cameras the whole trip. The roads are awesome - almost no traffic and I went very fast. A driver's paradise!!!

What part of Spain are you from? I bet you could find an area far away from people?

And when I said tinpot I meant the governments not the people lol.

I was on holiday in Spain in December last year. I drove from Bilbao down south and stayed in Cordoba. I covered 3,000 miles and spent a lot of time exploring the lovely mountains. It is one of the most mountainous countries in Europe.
I only saw about 4 speed cameras the whole trip. The roads are awesome - almost no traffic and I went very fast. A driver's paradise!!!

What part of Spain are you from? I bet you could find an area far away from people?

And when I said tinpot I meant the governments not the people lol.
I am close to Marbella which is nothing like the real Spain you describe, still very beautiful but with a lot of expats of all nationalities. I have a wonderful coastline 100 meters from my door and would love to fly around there. Yes I could drive 30 mins inland to the hills. Unfortunately I am the sort who would worry about the Guardia turning up unless I knew I was flying within my rights.

I drove down to Marbella and yes as you say nothing like real Spain. Having said that drive slightly North and you are soon in the mountains!
Yes I would worry about the Guardia civil as well - how Spain can still have a paramilitary Police force in this day and age whilst being a part of the EU is beyond me!

Yep - they may be part of the EU but they do what they want to do! Still apart from the drone issue we enjoy life down here. I have e mailed the lawyer who wrote the article in your link asking if things have changed and his opinion if things have changed.

I drove down to Marbella and yes as you say nothing like real Spain. Having said that drive slightly North and you are soon in the mountains!
Yes I would worry about the Guardia civil as well - how Spain can still have a paramilitary Police force in this day and age whilst being a part of the EU is beyond me!

You have a big misunderstanding of the police in spain.
The local police are like traffic wardens in UK, deal with parking, school child crossings etc.
The guardia national police deal with real crime.

I fly in Spain all the time without issue and have talked to the national police several times without any problems.

There are a lot of shops selling drones in Spain and lots of footage online.
Just be sensible where you fly.

. I am a little worried in that I have just ordered a Phantom 3 pro and have been waiting a few weeks for to arrive. .

Why did you not order it Spain and you could had it next day and with local 2 year warranty ?
Even ordering direct from DJI only takes about a week as it shipped out of London.

Thanks for this, where do you fly in Spain? I intend to use my drone down at the beach mostly for photo shots at sunrise and sunset. Do you think I would have a problem with this - I live near Marbella

Why did you not order it Spain and you could had it next day and with local 2 year warranty ?
Even ordering direct from DJI only takes about a week as it shipped out of London.
I was able to get a very good deal online including a spare battery and case for the same price as they wanted in the local stores - but it meant waiting a couple of weeks.

Thanks for this, where do you fly in Spain? I intend to use my drone down at the beach mostly for photo shots at sunrise and sunset. Do you think I would have a problem with this - I live near Marbella
I live up near Alicante.
I have done quite a few inland video, not done beaches yet but intend to when I get more time.
Not enough hours in the day to get it all in :)

You have a big misunderstanding of the police in spain.
The local police are like traffic wardens in UK, deal with parking, school child crossings etc.
The guardia national police deal with real crime.

I fly in Spain all the time without issue and have talked to the national police several times without any problems.

There are a lot of shops selling drones in Spain and lots of footage online.
Just be sensible where you fly.

sorry I meant the guardia national - the ones in green who strut and swagger!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic