Regrets

my father has a P3P while I have the P3A I bought a few weeks after he got his.

Had I known the resolution/downlink to the tablet in flight would be better (10mbps vs 2mbps) I would have bought the P3P instead. At the time I thought I was just getting a faster charger (A $60 value) for $250 more. I would have been more than happy to pay the extra $250 for the better downlink video & charger. 4k video still not a big issue for me yet. So that was NOT a selling point for me.

If I crashed mine.. I'd get the P3P the next go around...

Yikes, I didn't know about the video download rate difference. I got the P, thought I might just be satisfying my gadget lover personality, but now I'm glad I did. The Light Bridge video feed is AWESOME!

Nothing strange about it, it's typical human behavior. Companies love doing this to people to make them feel lesser for nor spending the extra $250. You got the silver model, not the gold model, it's very obvious and in a way saying that you got the second best model. But really your mind made the decision and the price difference was not worth it, but the heart wants the gold model just because it's the best and we love the notion of "the best".

I can promise you the better 4K camera and the 100W charger does not equal $250 difference but they still charge it and call it the best for the more profit the company makes. The same goes for basically everything...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The faster video download speed increasing the clarity of the live video speed I'm thinking makes the Pro well worth the extra money. And I didn't even know that until I read this thread. I thought I was slightly insane going for the P, for the 4K video it's hard to take advantage of. I'm glad I went slightly insane now. The live video feed is insanely great!

Reactions: Juventino
Well, I don't know why but every time I see a P3P, I get angry then just plain jealous, (I have a P3A which is GREAT, but am wishing I spent the extra $$$$ on the P3P). I'm sure its just greed though, does anybody else feel this? lol
I don't even need drone footage, never the less 4K, but it would be nice.. if I could play 4K on anything lol
It might just be the fact that I like the gold stickers and the gold plate.... wish I could have a gold plate that says Phantom Advanced.. lol that would be nice :)
Sounds compulsive behaviour... the drones are virtually the same except for the camera.

They dont share the same sensor, p3p is sony exmor R while p3a is panasonic.

Umm, nope. P3p & p3A use same sensor which is the Sony. The p3standard uses the Panasonic.
The difference between the p3a and p3p is in the main gimbal board. The p3A is missing a few chips for 4K , DSP , etc

1c5acff238a1f298984de84e8e97980a.jpg

Since the video feed back to your device is only 720p, I wouldn't think the clarity would be different between the P and A. But you really find it is?

I have a P3P, and think it's probably overkill. With a high resolution monitor (higher than 1080p, but not full 4K -- very common), and the right hardware and video player software, I get sharper images at 4K. But down converting a 4K image to an intermediate size is computationally intensive, and with some hardware/software combinations can look HORRIBLE. I'm kind of on the fence. I have a Lenovo Laptop with a 3100 x 1800 resolution display. It does real good with the 4K input. But I've used some video player software that BOMBS.

And don't think you're going to feed a 4K signal into a 1080p resolution monitor equipped PC. If the hardware can handle it, it's tricky averaging pixel neighborhoods to get to a 1080p image. You're almost surely better off feeding it 1080p to begin with.

It definitely is visibly different but probably only noticeable if you have both to compare to. It doesn't change end result just live feed and it is due to the p3A not having a dedicated DSP it shares it I think.

I have noticed that my 1080 down converted from 4K videos look slightly better than my advanced 4K videos.
But it's not enough to make a difference. You could shoot 2.7k on the advanced and downscale it to 1080p if you wanted that minuscule higher quality 1080 footage. I love both of mine, I only got them both since it was such a great deal and would buy either one again. The 4K is not now and I don't think will ever be a widely used / adopted thing, because you have to have such a large screen or sit that much closer to the screen to see the difference. 1080p is essentially the sweet spot where most people's eyes will see the biggest benefit in quality.

So everyone just enjoy your bird !! We may all be using "old antiquated equipment" in a couple weeks anyway lol with the new announcement and all that

went with the Pro.... it works very well with the HDMI module and the HeadPlay display.... you want to have some fun just have someone come by and start asking you questions about your quad setup... then sit them down beside you and have them put on the HeadPlay display and take them for a flight...
You just made a friend for life... its a blast watching their reaction the first time....

Reactions: Juventino
Doesn't the P3A have 2.7K , that is plenty and what I use now predominately on my P3P since it's availability. You are just fine with P3A..Knowing he crafts are identical except for the 4K , I would have saved a few dollars and just purchased the P3A..I am like many here, get the best with all the gadgets..but 2.7K is best of both worlds for filming...CHeers

Doesn't the P3A have 2.7K , that is plenty and what I use now predominately on my P3P since it's availability. You are just fine with P3A..Knowing he crafts are identical except for the 4K , I would have saved a few dollars and just purchased the P3A..I am like many here, get the best with all the gadgets..but 2.7K is best of both worlds for filming...CHeers

Yup the p3a does have 2.7k,

As I said before the 4K isn't the biggest difference in my opinion. The biggest difference is the p3A has its lightbridge downlink capped @ 2mbps and the pro has 10mbps - 2mbps downlink. So the 5x more bandwidth allows the pro to have a crystal clear 720p live stream .. Where as the advanced is noticeably worse, that said its still light years ahead of the p2v+ which was pretty awesome anyhow so either way you will love your bird.

I'd say for most users the P3P is overkill & unnecessary so don't stress yourself. There isn't much point to having the 4K camera without a newer computer with a fast processor, lots of RAM, & a discrete graphics processor with its own RAM, & a 4K display device. You can always pick up a P3P camera down the road & upgrade to 4K later.
The biggest benefit to me of the P3P 4K video is in the extracted still frames which are about 4 MB in size, which is quite usable, as opposed to a 1 MB or a 2 MB, from a lower resolution video, and no superior equipment is needed for their extraction. I get the best of both, with continuous 4K video and selected 4 MB still frames extracted from it, rather than either or. I do have a 4K monitor, but frankly, I can't see any difference in the video over my HDMI resolution monitor. It's all about the still frames extracted from the 4K video.:cool:

BTW are there cheaper back packs than the hard shell im not paying 150 for plastic and foam lol
How's $33 sound for the real DJI branded hardshell backpack?
That's the current Best Buy bundle with a new P3P, at $1,029!:cool:

It's a shame that 4K is so hard to come by even if you have a 4K TV like me. The only way is to use Netflix or Youtube from the smart TV and that just gets laggy because it doesn't have a buffer memory and the networkcard in the TV is too slow...

The other way is to actually plug in some equipment that can play 4K through the HDMI 2.0 connector that I have. And that's a mess too, because I don,t have a newer computer with 4K output, my PS4 doesn't support it, no Apple TVs support it...

But when I do plug in my 4K camera and have shot something in 4K and compare to 1080p, WOW is there a difference! It looks somuch clearer and all of the sudden 1080p look grainy...

It's a shame that 4K is so hard to come by even if you have a 4K TV like me. The only way is to use Netflix or Youtube from the smart TV and that just gets laggy because it doesn't have a buffer memory and the networkcard in the TV is too slow...

The other way is to actually plug in some equipment that can play 4K through the HDMI 2.0 connector that I have. And that's a mess too, because I don,t have a newer computer with 4K output, my PS4 doesn't support it, no Apple TVs support it...

But when I do plug in my 4K camera and have shot something in 4K and compare to 1080p, WOW is there a difference! It looks somuch clearer and all of the sudden 1080p look grainy...
Obviously, the larger the 4K TV screen, the more apparent the difference should be. On a 28" Dell 4K monitor next to a 27" HDMI monitor, at a normal computer viewing distance, it's hardly noticeable to me.

Obviously, the larger the 4K TV screen, the more apparent the difference should be. On a 28" Dell 4K monitor next to a 27" HDMI monitor, at a normal computer viewing distance, it's hardly noticeable to me.

Well on a 5K iMac the difference is also night and day. You're also sitting way closer to a desktop computer than a TV. So I think there is a huge difference even on a computer monitor

Well if you have the P3P in the first place, you don't have this discussion.:)

I have both the pro and advanced, why wouldn't I be in this discussion lol

Reactions: NepenthesLucas
think I read that the new ipad will be 4K.... if true then I would think an appleTV 4K would follow... ??
I don't have a 4K TV but when I pass one in a store and check out the display they sure look great...
If you shoot in 4K you just keep the original 4K video and downconvert it to 1080... then later when you get a 4K TV/4K Apple TV you will thank yourself for having the original 4K video...

If you shoot in 4K you just keep the original 4K video and downconvert it to 1080... then later when you get a 4K TV/4K Apple TV you will thank yourself for having the original 4K video...
Like I said in previous posts. If videos your thing the pro is the choice even if you currently don't need 4K. It future proofs your video.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well on a 5K iMac the difference is also night and day. You're also sitting way closer to a desktop computer than a TV. So I think there is a huge difference even on a computer monitor

Could also just be great downscaling from my 4K graphics card when rendering the 4K content on a1080p monitor, which minimizes the differences. Or my eyesight...;)

Reactions: NepenthesLucas
think I read that the new ipad will be 4K.... if true then I would think an appleTV 4K would follow... ??

I could guarantee you that "the next iPad" will not have a 4K screen if that's what you mean
1. 4K resolutions are 16:9 aspect ratios, iPads are all and have always been 4:3
2. The way Apple bumps up the resolution is by scaling 1x is 1024x768 that's why iPad line (except for Pro) has a retina resolution of 2048x1536 because it's 2x
3. The iPad Pro already has a very high resolution and the A9X is struggling at that which is 5.5 million pixels, 4K is 8 or 8.8 million pixels.
4. The iPad Pro already has 4K support since it can edit videos in 4K (not all kinds of 4K but Apple advertises it even).

That being said, I do believe we may see 4K cameras soon even in iPads possibly this year and "iPad Air 3" will probably also be able to edit 4K videos. Apple TV 5 will also add 4K support, I’m sure of it...

Could also just be great downscaling from my 4K graphics card when rendering the 4K content on a1080p monitor, which minimizes the differences. Or my eyesight...;)

We're all different :) and picky of different things so yeah you may be right

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl