Register the drone

Reaction score
So this is still a thing we have to do? Can we put the label inside the battery as I did with the P2 or does it need to be seen on the outside

You must register it before the first flight and the Reg# must be on the OUTSIDE of the aircraft. No requirement as to size of lettering but EXTERNAL is now law.

So this is still a thing we have to do? Can we put the label inside the battery as I did with the P2 or does it need to be seen on the outside
It sounds like you're saying you previously registered with the FAA. If that's the case and you registered under Section 336, you should use the same FAA registration number (as long as you're only flying as a hobbyist).

Reactions: BigAl07

I would add, if you previously registered a drone and you now have a different drone, you need to make a new registration application for the new drone. Every drone should have it’s own registration number displayed on the outside of the drone.

*Moderator Edit*: The above applies for Part 107 operations not hobby/recreational, at least not today 4/9/2019

Reactions: trcsmith
I would add, if you previously registered a drone and you now have a different drone, you need to make a new registration application for the new drone. Every drone should have it’s own registration number displayed on the outside of the drone.
You only need to register each drone individually if registering under Part 107. And if you're not flying under Part 107 rules, then you don't need to register under Part 107. Save yourself the extra effort and cost and register under Section 336.

You only need to register each drone individually if registering under Part 107. And if you're not flying under Part 107 rules, then you don't need to register under Part 107. Save yourself the extra effort and cost and register under Section 336.

No, according to the FAA, recreational fliers must register as well. See quote from FAA below.

“You are considered a recreational user if you fly your drone for fun, as a hobby. It is important to know when and where you can fly and how to register your drone.

Step 1: Register Your Drone
Even if you're only flying in your backyard, drones that weigh more than 0.55 pounds must be registered.
1. Register your drone with the FAA – Visit faadronezone.faa.gov and select "Fly Model Aircraft under Section 336" to get started.”

No, according to the FAA, recreational fliers must register as well. See quote from FAA below.
Right. But, there is no need to "make a new registration application" (as you suggested above) for another drone if flying as a hobbyist. When registering under Section 336, the FAA gives you a registration number that can be attached to an unlimited number of drones.

Right. But, there is no need to "make a new registration application" (as you suggested above) for another drone if flying as a hobbyist. When registering under Section 336, the FAA gives you a registration number that can be attached to an unlimited number of drones.

You are correct that a unique certification may be used on more than one qualified drone under 336. I recently had to re-apply for a new certification for the same drone when I went from recreational pilot to a 107 licensed pilot. Thanks for clarifying the question.

I'll he starting from scratch. Dont have the old drone anymore and dont recall the number.

5.00 wont kill me..I'll be fine lol

Dont have the old drone anymore and dont recall the number.
You can find your registration number by logging into your account at the top, right of this page.

Maybe I can use a very small permanent marker and right on the drone
That would be okay if you don't ever plan on selling your drone. If you think you might sell it, it would be better to use some type of semi-permanent marking method like a label or vinyl decal.

Save yourself a headache and pay the $5 and register the drone and put a sticker on the outside where it can be seen, it has been my experience in the past 40+ years dealing with the government in aviation that it’s just not worth the grief, they all interpret the regs in different ways
Just my two cents

You must register it before the first flight and the Reg# must be on the OUTSIDE of the aircraft. No requirement as to size of lettering but EXTERNAL is now law.
I just registered mine yesterday (rec flyer) and I didn’t see anything about having the numbers on the outside?

*Moderator Edit*: The above applies for Part 107 operations not hobby/recreational, at least not today 4/9/2019
Lol.I was like crap I only have one reg # on both my drones.

Ok thanks,
When I registered my drone all it said was to “affix” the registration number to the aircraft. Didn’t say where specifically.

While I do think they should make it more APPARENT and a lot more PROMINENT, if you dig just a pinch deeper they do have a graphic that details this pretty well.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone/media/UAS_how_to_label_Infographic.pdf

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.