Refurbished

Reaction score
Ok I have seen multiple threads over this and want some perspective. Before anyone really says anything about other threads, most of them are pre-changes to warranty policy and also about lesser models such as the standard. With the Pro having more electronics that can fail (light bridge etc) I wanted an opinion on that.

I am going to purchase tomorrow the P3P Refurbished + battery for 750 from DJI. My question is, who has gotten (direct) from DJI refurbished models and what has been your experience.

The website says they only refurbish customer 7 day returns and carries the same warranty. So I don't mind getting it based on that. For those that have gotten them, how has your experience been? Any issues more so than new purchases?

When considering price vs value, I really can't beat the 750 vs 900. And I am impatient and don't want to wait another month till I save up the rest haha.

I did some research on this a while back. Based on what I've read/heard, the quality of the refurbished model(s) appears to be excellent. In addition, the warranty they extend covers any potential issues that might occur with the Phantom 3P. I totally understand not wanting to spend $900 if you can get a perfect one for $750. I just bought a new P3A after waiting/watching prices for two weeks. I already have a P3 4K, so I didn't need the P3P. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase!

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Yeah I don't need the P3P since my computer can't even edit the footage, however even with the P3A+Buying a battery = price of P3P with extra battery so heck, future proof myself some haha. Even new with a discount some for the advanced I would still be out even more to get the battery. So many choices haha.

Thanks for the feedback though I appreciate it.

One ore thing, did you order yours from DJI? How long do they usually take to get in? (the impatient part here lol)

I bought a refurb from dji and on the 4th flight it dropped out of the sky.

Reactions: Lefty63
What was left of it is wadded up sitting in a box that has not been touched in over 1.5yrs. It's a long story but prior to the refurb they had an aircraft of mine in repair over 14 weeks. I raised hell because others with same issue were sending them in after I did and getting them back.

It turned into they wouldn't be able to fix it under warranty. After some back and forth conversations I was told because of it appearance somebody there must have placed it in salvage where it was destroyed and no longer available. I then get a call from so-called manager that offers to sell me a refurb. Tells me how great the aircraft will be and how they will have a tech go completely through and tweak it will all the updated everything. He said it will look and fly better then what comes off the production line.

After not giving a response, this so-called manager which gave his name as Ed Windham / Tahoe Ed he knew me from the internet and really appreciated all the help and support I give others. He said because of this he was going to take 50% off the cost. He said he ship it out that day if I agreed to pay. So I paid.....and then after some more hell raising it was 2 weeks later before the aircraft was even shipped from California.

Here's the jacked up part....while waiting for this suppose to be outstanding refurb to show up, I get a somewhat mangled box with something flopping around inside. I open it to find no shipping packing material of any kind. But there was my aircraft that I had originally sent that I was told was destroyed. It was missing the camera and gimbal which was damage free when I sent it in the beginning. At this point I spoke with an attorney and emailed this Tahoe Ed guy and let him know I was going to be involved with anymore candyland BS and would soon be filling a claim at my local court system. Later that day I received a tracking number for the refurb. (Btw, the dji people never refer to the aircraft as a refurb.)

The refurb aircraft fell out of the sky on the 4th flight. I did not want to go through anymore anything. I preordered a P3P and have had good luck now for 1.5yrs.

Yeah I have been tolling over the idea of just buying new. I can get the P3A new with tax and shipping for 791.80 but without the second battery. I will have to shell out the money for the battery, but at least I wont have to wait long and at new I can feel more confident about it haha. Besides the fact that my computer will only edit 1080p so I'm cool without the 4k.

With the Pro having more electronics that can fail (light bridge etc) I wanted an opinion on that.

Lightbridge is the primary reason people love DJI aircraft, the range sets you free. That's DJI's prime advantage over all others. LB far exceeds the performance of Wifi, which is what everyone else uses (I'm not sure about Autel). I will never by another drone using Wifi, that's old school. And if you buy a craft using wifi, it will be hard to sell because there is little desire for it. DJI's "Phantom Standard" product using wifi has poor range too, not to mention the long connect time before take off, and re-connect time during flight when connection is lost. Lightbridge is the bees knees, you'll enjoy it.

Yeah I have been tolling over the idea of just buying new. I can get the P3A new with tax and shipping for 791.80 but without the second battery. I will have to shell out the money for the battery, but at least I wont have to wait long and at new I can feel more confident about it haha. Besides the fact that my computer will only edit 1080p so I'm cool without the 4k.

The Phantom Advanced has LB also, a worthy craft if 2.7K resolution is all you need. I only shoot 1080 for convenience, it looks great on my TV via YouTube. However, if you ever plan to fly with googles through the optional HDMI module upgrade, you'll want the Pro since it's download stream is a higher data rate, resulting in less artifacts in the image. This data rate doesn't affect the recorded image on the SD card, only the streamed image to the googles.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw that too about the goggles. I have a Hubsan h501s and it's a terrible camera but I did the whole fpv thing with it and it was not for me. I do want to do some fpv stuff but honestly the phantom is. It the platform for that for me haha

Ok I have seen multiple threads over this and want some perspective. Before anyone really says anything about other threads, most of them are pre-changes to warranty policy and also about lesser models such as the standard. With the Pro having more electronics that can fail (light bridge etc) I wanted an opinion on that.

I am going to purchase tomorrow the P3P Refurbished + battery for 750 from DJI. My question is, who has gotten (direct) from DJI refurbished models and what has been your experience.

The website says they only refurbish customer 7 day returns and carries the same warranty. So I don't mind getting it based on that. For those that have gotten them, how has your experience been? Any issues more so than new purchases?

When considering price vs value, I really can't beat the 750 vs 900. And I am impatient and don't want to wait another month till I save up the rest haha.

enjoy your refurbed unit and put the extra $ in your pocket
I think that includes the second battery as well as the one with quad
so really your getting the pro for 650.
WE ALL BUY a SECOND BATTERY anyhow ....

bought 6 refurbs from B&H over 2 years and all have been excellent quads

still flying my refurbed pro from last dec.....
paid 849 then when still 1300 new

I believe they were dji refurbed by stickers on them.

good luck and have fun flying!

Yeah I don't need the P3P since my computer can't even edit the footage, however even with the P3A+Buying a battery = price of P3P with extra battery so heck, future proof myself some haha. Even new with a discount some for the advanced I would still be out even more to get the battery. So many choices haha.

Thanks for the feedback though I appreciate it.

One ore thing, did you order yours from DJI? How long do they usually take to get in? (the impatient part here lol)
I actually didn't buy a refurb. I just ordered a new P3A w/ case, lightning cable + lanyard from Amazon (new). I made sure that Amazon was the primary seller/distributer, and not a 3rd party seller (make sure you check DJI's new warranty policy!). I paid right around $795 for all the above (New). It will be arriving tomorrow :)

As another member mentioned above, DJI revolutionized the industry with the release of Lightbridge. As much as I love my P3 4K, the Wifi can be quite annoying. The signal usually cuts out around 300-500m if I'm in/around any type of urban area. Even in urban areas, Lightbridge has range well beyond this, and can reach 5km in open space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Oz
I have had no problems with refurbished equipment but here is how to protect yourself from DJI's customer support if you get a bad one. DJI sells there refurbs on Amazon - and they are usually a bit lower prices then DJI's site. Type in "DJI Refurbished" to find them - Amazon hides them in search results. Even if the price is the same buy on Amazon Marketplace. DJI fulfills and ships the unit. . If you have any problems, Amazon can, and will, step in IMMEDIATELY if DJI is unresponsive. They will even force a refund. Amazon is he 2000 pound gorilla - I ride on their back when I can :)

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I actually didn't buy a refurb. I just ordered a new P3A w/ case, lightning cable + lanyard from Amazon (new). I made sure that Amazon was the primary seller/distributer, and not a 3rd party seller (make sure you check DJI's new warranty policy!). I paid right around $795 for all the above (New). It will be arriving tomorrow :)

LOL you and I posted the same info on Amazon at the same time - great minds think alike LOL

Reactions: Goldsaum82
I have bought a lot of refurbished electronic equipment and have never once had a problem until dji.

Now here's a good point.... They now have WAY more retail merchants involved then back when I got the aircraft I did. What makes it good about retail merchants is they have returns coming from customers with buyers remorse.

Reactions: kirk2579

I purchased a refurb P3P and it arrived looking like new in the box with all new accessories. With a full warranty it is essentially like new... a over $200 cheaper.

I purchased a refurb P3P and it arrived looking like new in the box with all new accessories. With a full warranty it is essentially like new... a over $200 cheaper.

When did you receive your P3P, and where did you get it from?

I have bought a lot of refurbished electronic equipment and have never once had a problem until dji.

Now here's a good point.... They now have WAY more retail merchants involved then back when I got the aircraft I did. What makes it good about retail merchants is they have returns coming from customers with buyers remorse.

Yep once I get more experience a refurbed P4 is top of the list. Also I used to work in retail and many times labeling new stock as "refurbished" and putting on an R serial number is another way of selling overstock without hurting retail prices...

i sent in a two week old unit for repairs, crashed due to my inexperience with the aircraft. Never tried to claim it under warranty. DJI lost it and kept sending me refurb units. Three units sent to me, three units sent back. Each had their own issues. I finally went to an outside advocate, and received a brand new unit. Good luck with your refurb unit. As others mentioned, buy thru Amazon. They will back you and force a refund. DJI will give you such a run around, you'll wish you never bought their products.

Yeah I ended u ordering the P3A with battery from a DJI authorized on amazon, overnight for 850. Its 100 more than the refurb P3P but its new and I honestly have 0 need for the 4K. Nothing i own can even think about playing it anyhow haha. Thank you everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it. Once thing though, Goldsaum82, you said you bought it from amazon direct not 3rd party. One thing I saw on DJI's site is that Amazon direct is not authorized in the US, it is in Canada though. I thought that was very strange. I found one of the authorized list on amazon so I was good. I wanted refurbished but only found the shipped and sold form amazon and since it was not on the DJI list I passed it over. Amazon would cover me for 30 days anyway but I want my full 6/6/12 from DJI haha

Reactions: Robert Whitaker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers