Recurring auto-focus issues while shooting video

Reaction score
I always use AF when shooting video, but have often found that unless I tap the screen after take-off, my video is out of focus. The focus appears to be locking before takeoff (on the grass or other close subject) and not adjusting to infinity while in the air - unless I tap the screen to reset it. If you have to tap the screen, it's not AF!

I've probably flown six different P4Ps over the years. Some have never had this problem, a few have always had it, while others have developed the problem. It's either a glitch or I'm doing something wrong... suspect a glitch because I never do anything wrong. :) Anyone else had this issue?

Tryed reinstall of app,,,,idea came from here,I didnt just say it
Screenshot_20210601-200631.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As of Firmware version 01.03.0418 (2017.03.07)
-Added AFC (AutoFocusContinuous) function to support continuous auto focus when switching between scenes.

AF does a (re)focus when:
1. The drone is powerd On.
2. The screen is tapped.

AFC does a (re)focus when:
1. The drone is powerd On.
2. The screen is tapped.
3. The drone does NOT move for a few seconds (scene switching).

Attachments

• AF main screen.png
    AF main screen.png
    1 MB · Views: 111
  • AFC main screen.png
    AFC main screen.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • AFC setting OFF.png
    AFC setting OFF.png
    982 KB · Views: 107
  • AFC setting ON.png
    AFC setting ON.png
    976.3 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Pygar70
...How'd you go @Pygar70 ?
This AFC thing is frustrating. There seems to be very little information online about it. My understanding is that the drone needs to remain stationary for a period of time before it will refocus. But how much time, and what if the camera moves but the drone doesn't? I tried testing it to determine how long I need to keep still for it to refocus, and I couldn't get consistent results. The most frequent re-focus interval - with the drone not moving (it was resting on a platform) - was about 20 seconds. But then sometimes it was longer, sometimes it didn't refocus at all and sometimes it would refocus sooner if I moved the camera, or maybe that was just coincidence?

Just between you and me, I always fly with my DJI goggles. And this could be my problem. I don't know if AFC works with the goggles. The software on the goggles is flying the drone - not DJI Go. When using the goggles there's no tell-tail chirp or those screen markers to tell you that a refocus has taken place. And the viewing clarity, although pretty good, is not good enough for me to know if my focus is spot-on. I haven't yet been motivated to properly test it with the goggles, as it would involve repeating the exercise a number of times and carefully analysing the footage.

So it may be that AFC doesn't work with goggles. It's been a couple of years since I updated the firmware on them. Another possibility is that I just don't keep still long enough for the refocus to kick in - especially if the requirement is 20 seconds. I rarely hover in one place for very long, and if I am stationary, the drone will either be rotating or the camera moving, or both.

When using goggles with a P4, you actually have to take off using the screen and then transfer to the goggles post launch - otherwise the drone flies in safe-mode. What I usually do is tap the screen while the drone is in the air - just before I transfer to my goggles. When forgetting to do this my footage has sometimes been in focus and sometimes not, and I think this is entirely due to how quickly I do the change over. If I pause long enough before disconnecting the screen, it gets time to refocus on infinity, if I'm quicker (& forget to tap) - it doesn't, and my footage is ruined.

I'll have a crack with my Goggles RE and test this out on my next flight. It's cold and wet in this neckl of the woods, so, it won't be anytime in the coming dyas or week, but this does intrigue me to see if i get the same issues you're mentioning...

RoOSTA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav