Recommendation for improving remote controller range

Reaction score
I have been flying over the ocean launching from my boat to film sail boat races. Most of the time I lose connection and can not get the hole corse. I have seen some online from drone world has any one tried it? Or are there any others I should look at.

Yes that is correct - what I meant was that YOU need to be pointing directly at the aircraft when you hold the controller. The further away you get the more critical it becomes. Also at a distance of 1.6 miles you need about 300' of height.

Some courses are 10 to 15 miles. Sail boats move slow I'm on a power boat so to catch up to the drone and do a battery change is no problem for me.

Some courses are 10 to 15 miles. Sail boats move slow I'm on a power boat so to catch up to the drone and do a battery change is no problem for me.
You can get more distance the 2pc set of $25/pr windsurfer reflectors, you'll get about 3mi over the ocean, however the next problem you'll have is battery life. DBSmod can go farther 4+, but you'll need battery modifications to go that distance, the antenna costs more, and it's more bulky to store the RC in the case. Since you're a marine application you should carefully consider the case ramifications for the RC. With Windsurfer or DBSmod you will be highly directional for coverage. You'll have to be very careful to ALWAYS face the antenna reflectors toward the craft, IE don't turn around to talk to someone and expect the craft to be happy. Also, I hope you have learned and tested dynamic home point, so the craft doesn't go back to the original boat launch location. And lastly, make sure you're not using 1.5 firmware over water, that's the kiss of death.

Last edited:
You can get more distance the 2pc set of $25/pr windsurfer reflectors, about 3mi over the ocean, however the next problem you'll have is battery life. DBSmod can go farther, but costs more and is more bulky to store the RC in the case. Since you're a marine application you should carefully consider the case ramifications for the RC. With Windsurfer you are highly directional, same as DBSmod. You'll have to be careful to ALWAYS face the antenna reflectors toward the craft, IE don't turn around to talk to someone and expect the craft to be happy. Also, I hope you have learned and tested dynamic home point, so the craft doesn't go back to the original launch location. And lastly, make sure you're not using 1.5 firmware over water.

Thanks but some times the ocean is not your friend and it is a race and i need real range. I can not take my boat into the race corse

Thanks but some times the ocean is not your friend and it is a race and i need real range. I can not take my boat into the race corse
You should start of with a windsurfer. It should give you 6km range easily. See how you handle the 'small' distances before you jump onto the DBS range mods. It takes a bit of skill to keep your antenna focal point at that range, especially if you are on a moving/rotating platform like a boat.
If you have a fast boat, then just maintain your distance. When you are dropping signal, pull up anchor...

And the ocean is no-ones friend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers