Reasons to hold off, besides camera?

Adding my thoughts..

1. Smaller so can't handle as high winds as the P4.
--> I'm not sure how high of winds you plan to fly in but there's a video of a guy with a 120mph leaf blower on a P4 and a Mavic. Almost seems like the Mavic did better maybe because of the low profile design. But it seems to do very well regardless.
2. No landing gear making taking off and landing from uneven terrain and high grass harder. Plus no hand catches for situations like when you are on a boat.
--> True. I'm concerned about this too.. Just a very little. But it didn't stop me from ordering... :-D
3. Camera needs focusing. I can see myself getting shots that are out of focus because I didn't focus.
--> Good point and I feel the same way. But I'm a fairly smart guy. I'll figure it out.
4. Narrower FOV compared to P4.
--> I guess I never really complained or thought about the FOV. I doubt I will notice it much. I will have 4.3 miles to back up and increase the FOV if needed.
5. Folding legs. How many cycles until those ribbon cables break like they did on the old Motorola flip phones.
--> DJI says good up to 5000. So if you do the math on that... Lets say you are crazy and fly this every single day and you at a minimum fold the legs and unfold 5 times a day. That's 1000 days of folding bliss. Or roughly 3 years. I think it will be fine.
6. Folding props. Those hinge points on the props are weak points and high stress points. They carry the full weight of the craft and thrust of the motors. Loose a prop and it is complete hull damage and possible injury to bystanders. I am wary but love the compact design. I really do want one but have concerns
--> Got me here. I never even considered it. I think it's a valid point. Probably good to add to the pre-flight check list and change your props every xxx hours of flight maybe.

Now what do I really think? I'm giddy like a little girl. I actually think I may think about getting this drone more than I think about sex. But I've been married for 20 years so... :-/
Seriously though. I think DJI did their homework and I trust this will be just an awesome drone. I will however, spend the $99 for the DJI insurance. Just in case. It's a worthy investment I think.

What do I love so far about what this drone has to offer?

1. Size - OMG. I can fold it up and put it in a small bag and take it everywhere with me. Seriously, I'm taking it everywhere.
2. 4.3 miles - Are you kidding me?? Now do I want to go that far? No, not necessarily but with the P3 I have been at about ~3000 to ~4000 feet consistently. I lose video but mostly not controls. This is welcome!!
3. 40 mph - NICE. Small form factor and still beats my P3 crazy.
4. Form factor of a racer but stable like a camera platform drone should be - Why is that important? See 5
5. I saw one reviewer flying this drone under trees, over a sidewalk, through a gazebo, in and around stuff that I have always wanted to with my P3 but never have. Size matters here. But also - 6.
6. Auto switch between ATTI and GPS. Uses the vision system when GPS is not available which means, if you are flying under a bridge or table or whatever and GPS is lost, the drone is not going to develop a mind of it's own and take off.
7. Follow me with obstacle avoidance! Yes!! I can get some mountain biking shots or whatever! Within reason.. I'm not going to just trust that obstacle avoidance system altogether but if it helps, that's awesome!!
8. Size - OMG... did I say this already? I'm excited that I won't have a huge Drone Crates backpack on my back and I can take this everywhere. I mean do you realize that I had to work hard to get United Airlines status JUST SO I COULD BOARD THE PLANE SOONER and get a spot for my backpack Drone Crate on the carry on?? This is seriously a game changer.

Ok.. That's my schpeal.. I can't wait!!

DJI website does not say that the Mavic handles high winds better than the P4.

Mavic.jpg

Yup, returning home into the wind, SLIGHTLY better. But lookup the Leaf blower test on YouTube.

First off all gusting winds are not the same as a leaf blower. The volume of air from a leaf blower is small. Secondly, where are the tests confirming the air velocity out of the leaf blower nozzle? I never see my leaf blower blowing things away at 250 mph. Thirdly, the summary of this test was:

Wind.jpg

Last edited:
First off all gusting winds are not the same as a leaf blower. The volume of air from a leaf blower is small. Secondly, where are the tests confirming the air velocity out of the leaf blower nozzle? I never see my lead blower blowing things away at 250 mph. Thirdly, the summary of this test was:

View attachment 66935
Ok... from that one specific YouTube leaf blower test, in my opinion, the physical body of the Mavic obviously appeared to be more stable in air than the P4. Either way, it's a very good thing to see from the Mavic.

Yup, returning home into the wind, SLIGHTLY better. But lookup the Leaf blower test on YouTube.
DJI website says that the Mavic can fly a stable 24mph in winds up to 38mph. It states that it rivals the P4 because of it's powerful motors and form factor designed to be better aerodynamically. Personally, I would call this a huge success on the Mavic side. :)

First off all gusting winds are not the same as a leaf blower. The volume of air from a leaf blower is small. Secondly, where are the tests confirming the air velocity out of the leaf blower nozzle? I never see my leaf blower blowing things away at 250 mph. Thirdly, the summary of this test was:

Winds are not the same as a leaf blower, true. The test is simply an indicator. Benchmark testing the P4 with the same wind from a blower as the test with the Mavic. The volume of air from the leaf blower will decrease drastically the further away from the nozzle you are. So the manufacturer may say 120mph at the nozzle but 5' away and you may be at 40mph.

But again, this was just a simple test to see if the Mavic can hold it's own against the P4. DJI's website states that it can. Personally, I'm not going to dwell on this much. Portability of the Mavic blows the P4 away, but if that isn't important, then perhaps the P4 is the better choice.

3. Camera needs focusing. I can see myself getting shots that are out of focus because I didn't focus.
--> Good point and I feel the same way. But I'm a fairly smart guy. I'll figure it out.

I saw one of the reviewers mention that you could set the focus back to infinity in the Mavic's settings. Does that mean it will focus like the P4 or like a GoPro which seem to be always in focus?

I can totally see the benefits of the tap-to-focus setting, but most of the time I like to just take off, fly, and explore. I can TOTALLY see myself forgetting to keep hitting "focus" and losing some cool shots.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl