Reasons to hold off, besides camera?

lol no.. and in that case I guess every reviewer and video the people simply don't know how to adjust the sharpness.lol
Have you watched this video... If you have a 4K monitor, watch in 4K.

The sharpness of the Mavic Pro is fine. In fact, from watching this video I think the Mavic camera is better!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I've seen that video, also using my 4k monitor and while better then some others, its still obviously not as clear/sharp , also forgot to touch focus every single few feet and it will become that much worse.
That said its still more then adequate for a small portable drone, but IMO not on the same field as a P3P/P4

1. If you live in a state/province that has snow/freezing temps during winter, then I would suggest waiting until February or April to buy the Mavic, because if you order now and get your Mavic in November what are you gonna do if it starts snowing?

Awesome images, snowy landscapes make for magnificent footage.

2. I expect DJI to release the Phantom 5 in a couple months and or a Mavic Pro 2.0?

Certainly not before the summer if not a whole year from now.

This forum is just staggering. Owners of 1000 dollar drones, not knowing the most basic camera functions like focusing, not knowing that the sensors are the same, as in exactly the same, not knowing the lens is of equal quality, despite it being said and proven over and over again.

DJI even states that the only difference is wind handling and FOV on the product page. Still a few individuals just refuse to accept the truth, and worse, are allowed to continue to spread misinformation.

Since its almost winter here in Canada I'm expecting freezing temperatures and plenty of snow like always, so I am going to hold off on ordering my Mavic until spring unless it goes on sale during Christmas...
Some reasons to hold off :

1. If you live in a state/province that has snow/freezing temps during winter, then I would suggest waiting until February or April to buy the Mavic, because if you order now and get your Mavic in November what are you gonna do if it starts snowing? It's not fun flying a UAV outside in freezing temps. So why not wait until winter is over and maybe DJI will get everything right with the Mavic (bug wise)

I agree with you on this one. Yes, you can get some great shot of snowy landscape, but most of the time it's just freezing cold, windy, foggy or/and dark.
Bought my P3A during Christimas, and didn't really fly a lot until April/May. So with the Mavic I would most likely get it right away, or I just hold of until spring, and wait for some price drops.

This forum is just staggering. Owners of 1000 dollar drones, not knowing the most basic camera functions like focusing, not knowing that the sensors are the same, as in exactly the same, not knowing the lens is of equal quality, despite it being said and proven over and over again.

DJI even states that the only difference is wind handling and FOV on the product page. Still a few individuals just refuse to accept the truth, and worse, are allowed to continue to spread misinformation.

I don't know why they went to a comparatively narrow 28mm lens.
BIG difference from the 20mm on the P4.
I would MUCH rather have the 20mm.
Maybe by the time all the issues are discovered and addressed, and I'm ready to switch, they will have the 20mm lens as an option.
Actually a zoom would be nice.

Reactions: Victor K
I don't know why they went to a comparatively narrow 28mm lens.
BIG difference from the 20mm on the P4.
I would MUCH rather have the 20mm.
Maybe by the time all the issues are discovered and addressed, and I'm ready to switch, they will have the 20mm lens as an option.
Actually a zoom would be nice.

Some reviews show that there is a 2X digital zoom on the Mavic. However I can't tell if the zoom is what gets recorded on the Mavic micro SD card or the zoom is just what is displayed on your phone via the controller. It's a digital zoom, so it's just cropping your existing image. This along with the tap focus for objects nice and close will give a depth of field look. This is something normally not available on a fixed aperture drone, so it's kinda cool having that option.

Actually, nothing I've seen can sway me away from buying one eventually (don't have the funds at this moment). I don't have a 4k drone yet, I have a Yuneec Typhoon Q500+, and I love it, and love the video I get from it, so buying a 4k drone will be a nice bump in camera quality, and of course the portability is a HUGE plus. I'm gonna take this thing everywhere with me. I went to San Francisco in July 2015, and man I wish I had this thing with me then. Wouldn't do a Casey Neistat (fly in no fly zones), but would get some great footage of the Bay Area. Luckily I'm going again in July 2017, so I'll have my Mavic by then :)

I think DJI has Apple on their back now unofficial. Look at the design of P4 including its charger. It's Apple tone and it was the first DJI product to Apple sells in their shelves. Now with Mavic, IOS was first supporting Mavic and I noticed all Mavic reviews have iPhones on it.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

lol Silly. I've spent almost as much on my antenna set up and boosters and some other mods that cost more then a mavic. I'll probably get one, when "I" see the quality on par with the Phantoms. I like all you guys watched every review and watched all the videos and they all look fine, but not on the same level. It's clear as day when I see the differences.Also to add the gimbal doesn't seem as stable, at least the videos I've seen so far they don't look as smooth especially when yawing, which both have problems with.
Plus I like using a larger screen then a tiny 5-6" phone, as for what the Mavic is, I'm excited, but not naive and going to wait to see if it comes with issues, like the Phantom series does.
I also think the new Phantom series will have a 5-10x zoom, 40+ minute flight time, better camera by a big margin and fast!
Obviously they have to have something to justify the higher price tag then the new Mavic

lol Silly. I've spent almost as much on my antenna set up and boosters and some other mods that cost more then a mavic. I'll probably get one, when "I" see the quality on par with the Phantoms. I like all you guys watched every review and watched all the videos and they all look fine, but not on the same level. It's clear as day when I see the differences.Also to add the gimbal doesn't seem as stable, at least the videos I've seen so far they don't look as smooth especially when yawing, which both have problems with.
Plus I like using a larger screen then a tiny 5-6" phone, as for what the Mavic is, I'm excited, but not naive and going to wait to see if it comes with issues, like the Phantom series does.
I also think the new Phantom series will have a 5-10x zoom, 40+ minute flight time, better camera by a big margin and fast!
Obviously they have to have something to justify the higher price tag then the new Mavic
So you're not in denial then?

That rambling was a hot mess. It's obvious what's going on. Lol

Hey

Everybody is saying that camera isnt as sharp as P4. Even if it is true.

What OTHER reasons can be, to hold you off from buying one?

I really like the Mavic and always buy the latest DJI product but am hesitant on this one for the following reasons:

1. Smaller so can't handle as high winds as the P4.
2. No landing gear making taking off and landing from uneven terrain and high grass harder. Plus no hand catches for situations like when you are on a boat.
3. Camera needs focusing. I can see myself getting shots that are out of focus because I didn't focus.
4. Narrower FOV compared to P4.
5. Folding legs. How many cycles until those ribbon cables break like they did on the old Motorola flip phones.
6. Folding props. Those hinge points on the props are weak points and high stress points. They carry the full weight of the craft and thrust of the motors. Loose a prop and it is complete hull damage and possible injury to bystanders. I am wary but love the compact design. I really do want one but have concerns.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I really like the Mavic and always buy the latest DJI product but am hesitant on this one for the following reasons:
Adding my thoughts..

--> I'm not sure how high of winds you plan to fly in but there's a video of a guy with a 120mph leaf blower on a P4 and a Mavic. Almost seems like the Mavic did better maybe because of the low profile design. But it seems to do very well regardless.
2. No landing gear making taking off and landing from uneven terrain and high grass harder. Plus no hand catches for situations like when you are on a boat.
--> True. I'm concerned about this too.. Just a very little. But it didn't stop me from ordering... :-D
3. Camera needs focusing. I can see myself getting shots that are out of focus because I didn't focus.
--> Good point and I feel the same way. But I'm a fairly smart guy. I'll figure it out.
--> I guess I never really complained or thought about the FOV. I doubt I will notice it much. I will have 4.3 miles to back up and increase the FOV if needed.
5. Folding legs. How many cycles until those ribbon cables break like they did on the old Motorola flip phones.
--> DJI says good up to 5000. So if you do the math on that... Lets say you are crazy and fly this every single day and you at a minimum fold the legs and unfold 5 times a day. That's 1000 days of folding bliss. Or roughly 3 years. I think it will be fine.
6. Folding props. Those hinge points on the props are weak points and high stress points. They carry the full weight of the craft and thrust of the motors. Loose a prop and it is complete hull damage and possible injury to bystanders. I am wary but love the compact design. I really do want one but have concerns
--> Got me here. I never even considered it. I think it's a valid point. Probably good to add to the pre-flight check list and change your props every xxx hours of flight maybe.

Now what do I really think? I'm giddy like a little girl. I actually think I may think about getting this drone more than I think about sex. But I've been married for 20 years so... :-/
Seriously though. I think DJI did their homework and I trust this will be just an awesome drone. I will however, spend the $99 for the DJI insurance. Just in case. It's a worthy investment I think.

What do I love so far about what this drone has to offer?

1. Size - OMG. I can fold it up and put it in a small bag and take it everywhere with me. Seriously, I'm taking it everywhere.
2. 4.3 miles - Are you kidding me?? Now do I want to go that far? No, not necessarily but with the P3 I have been at about ~3000 to ~4000 feet consistently. I lose video but mostly not controls. This is welcome!!
3. 40 mph - NICE. Small form factor and still beats my P3 crazy.
4. Form factor of a racer but stable like a camera platform drone should be - Why is that important? See 5
5. I saw one reviewer flying this drone under trees, over a sidewalk, through a gazebo, in and around stuff that I have always wanted to with my P3 but never have. Size matters here. But also - 6.
6. Auto switch between ATTI and GPS. Uses the vision system when GPS is not available which means, if you are flying under a bridge or table or whatever and GPS is lost, the drone is not going to develop a mind of it's own and take off.
7. Follow me with obstacle avoidance! Yes!! I can get some mountain biking shots or whatever! Within reason.. I'm not going to just trust that obstacle avoidance system altogether but if it helps, that's awesome!!
8. Size - OMG... did I say this already? I'm excited that I won't have a huge Drone Crates backpack on my back and I can take this everywhere. I mean do you realize that I had to work hard to get United Airlines status JUST SO I COULD BOARD THE PLANE SOONER and get a spot for my backpack Drone Crate on the carry on?? This is seriously a game changer.

Ok.. That's my schpeal.. I can't wait!!

6. Folding props. Those hinge points on the props are weak points and high stress points. They carry the full weight of the craft and thrust of the motors. Loose a prop and it is complete hull damage and possible injury to bystanders. I am wary but love the compact design. I really do want one but have concerns.

1) From what I've seen, the Mavic is more stable while tying to remain in one spot in high winds. The P4 can travel upwind in SLIGHTLY higher winds due to higher thrust output.

2) Hand catches look pretty easier on the several videos I've seen. This will be a must on challenging terrain.

3) I'm pretty certain there will be an auto focus option in the next Mavic Firmware update. Just being able to change focus is a great addition in itself.

4) I like the narrower FOV because I don't have to get as close to an object for perfect framing. And if you want a wider shot, the increased range makes it easy. You have the best of both worlds.

5) That is a concern that's yet to be seen, but the 5000 cycle torture test DJI has done is a good start.

6) Hopefully DJI has engineered the hinge well. This seems like less of a concern to me than stripping threads in plastic props like in the Phantom line.

The Mavic is a technological marvel. I think the only issue people may come across are gimbal malfunctions. This is pure speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

1) From what I've seen, the Mavic is more stable while tying to remain in one spot in high winds. The P4 can travel upwind in SLIGHTLY higher winds due to higher thrust output.

2) Hand catches look pretty easier on the several videos I've seen. This will be a must on challenging terrain.

3) I'm pretty certain there will be an auto focus option in the next Mavic Firmware update. Just being able to change focus is a great addition in itself.

4) I like the narrower FOV because I don't have to get as close to an object for perfect framing. And if you want a wider shot, the increased range makes it easy. You have the best of both worlds.

5) That is a concern that's yet to be seen, but the 5000 cycle torture test DJI has done is a good start.

6) Hopefully DJI has engineered the hinge well. This seems like less of a concern to me than stripping threads in plastic props like in the Phantom line.

The DJI website says the Phantom 4 is better in high winds.
Mavic.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.