Reasons to hold off, besides camera?

Reaction score
Hey

Everybody is saying that camera isnt as sharp as P4. Even if it is true.

What OTHER reasons can be, to hold you off from buying one?

Firmware/App/Mobile Phone updates i would imagine, seen many grounded because of various updates in the Phantom range, i think the Karma has the edge here, only one device to update, DJI's app dependency to fly has taken basic flight from the Pilot in trying to please everyones devices, how many have you seen join here because some app no longer works or their device keeps rebooting?

Let the dust settle and see how many join here asking why their drone wont work ... or even where has it gone.

Last edited:
Newness and all the growing pains associated with it. There are still no reliable reviews available. We still don't know how well the new body, new motors and retractable arms would hold in real world. There may be bugs in firmware that would take couple of months to sort out. And by Christmas there bound to be better deals then just MSRP.

If you believe rumors that DJI has rushed Mavic to the market to kill off Karma buzz, then it would be wise to make sure you are not getting under cooked meal.

So if you don't need it immediately and can contain your excitement, wait at least until early adopters find issues and give DJI time to correct.

Interesting topic, I've had a Phantom 1, 2 and 3 Pro, skipped the P4 and have ordered the Mavic.

I might be too optimistic but I figured DJI learnt a lot in recent years about product launches, and testing and that combined with general maturity in the market I was thinking the Mavic might be a smoother launch.

Interesting topic, I've had a Phantom 1, 2 and 3 Pro, skipped the P4 and have ordered the Mavic.

I might be too optimistic but I figured DJI learnt a lot in recent years about product launches, and testing and that combined with general maturity in the market I was thinking the Mavic might be a smoother launch.

Samsung had decades to work on their phones. It did not shield them from the mess the Note 7 launch has become. Mavic is substantially different from Phantom line, so we can not simply assume that DJI has everything figured out.

Samsung had decades to work on their phones. It did not shield them from the mess the Note 7 launch has become. Mavic is substantially different from Phantom line, so we can not simply assume that DJI has everything figured out.

Agreed.

But for the P3 the biggest issue was DJI GO was not approved by Apple for the app store meaning people had the P3 but were unable to fly it, I see the Mavic Pro is already in DJI GO so that's a good start.

Whatever happens its going to be interesting!

Hey

I don't know of a more open ended question.....

1) Price
2) Need
3) DJI's track record with new products
4) Will there be a P5 out in a few months

I could spend more then a minute on this and come up with about 10 more reasons. Bottom line, each person's situation is very different and this question does not serve to narrow anything down.

If you just bought a P4 I wouldn't upgrade. If I had a p4 I wouldn't upgrade. Otherwise get it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Bigdz
Hey

Not everybody is saying the camera isn't as sharp as P4. That was before tap-to-focus was discovered. Some are even saying the Mavic camera is sharper than the P4 with proper focusing.

There isn't any reason for holding off buying one unless you cannot afford it. You can get a used P3A or P4 at much lesser price or a discontinued 3DR Solo for $380 with all the extras if you want one at reasonable price today.

Reactions: Brubaker and Kilrah
The only reason not to pull the trigger right now (for me) is this crazy ordering and shipping thing going on Judging from the market response in every channel I see, everyone will be overwelmed when it hits the stores. And Xmas is coming too lol :D

So I´m chilling and taking hold of my anxiety. As bad as I want it - and I want it just as bad as everyone else - unless an opportunity comes up (and I honestly don´t see that happening :p) I´ll wait untill things calm down a bit.

That may also bring the extra benefit of more real-world, pilots-like-us reviews, even though I´m pretty confident in DJI with the Mavic it´s never a bad thing to wait a little and see. I´ve got my other drones here working fine to keep me distracted and business going.

The current lack of a SDK from DJI could be a downside for some depending on how long it takes to arrive and how quickly existing apps can be adapted for it.

I know early firmware updates for the P3 caused lots of problems for people last year, but they mostly seem to be sorted out now with 1.9, it will be interesting to see if the Mavic goes through the same FW growing pains.

There should be a sticky with the title "The Mavic's camera is as sharp as the P4, period".

Hold off if you own a P4.
All the reviewers are talking about build quality. They all say it feels expensive and solid.
For durability, in depth testing, head over to rc groups and read what blade strike has to say. He has probably been beta testing.

I have had a P3P since they first came out. I upgraded from the Vision plus because the P3P had a better camera better range and better app. None of that can be said for the Phantom 4 or Mavic Pro so I will be waiting to for the Phantom 5 to see what that can do. The Mavic is portable but I am happy with my DJI backpack.

OK folks, let's answer one question: Has DJI (or Apple, or Samsung, GM, Ford, IBM or for Bog's sake, Boeing) managed to come out of the gate with a new product that is largely defect free?

Beuhler?

The new mantra in software is 'release early, release often'. The older term for this was 'beta tester' (hi Google). Now, there are many good reasons to be a beta tester. Excitement, being on the leading, er bleeding edge. Obtaining performance unavailable otherwise. But There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Early Mavic users will be watching their little prizes do the DJI dance, the 'I can't hear you' slow waltz and the 'Oops, there it goes' symphony. Count on it.

If that warms your hot plate, go for it. If you have other things to do, wait a bit. DJI does seem to largely straighten out problems (unless it's on an Inspire, go figure). Just takes a while. I'm still working on my P3s taking lots of pictures. When I'm not just working, that is. I'm waiting for the Inspire 2 / Phantom 5. Just waiting. It's less expensive that way and makes my wife happier.

EDIT: More rational reasons (sorry) - You use Litchi / Autopilot or another third party program. AFAIK, the SDK for the Mavik hasn't been released. It will take some time to intergrate the new tech into those programs. Likewise, hardware mods. It will probably take about a week for somebody to gin up a Windsurfer like antenna mod. The internals will probably take a bit longer. And that controller gives me the willies. Do Not Want (I don't think).

I am a heavy user of HDMI goggles during flights and was disappointed to learn Mavic will not provide HDMI interface for me to use my expensive goggles and forces me to buy another DJI brand specific google. That's not fair.

Buy batteries only from DJI, buy goggles only from DJI, buy drones only from authorized dealers.....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am a heavy user of HDMI goggles during flights and was disappointed to learn Mavic will not provide HDMI interface for me to use my expensive goggles and forces me to buy another DJI brand specific google. That's not fair.

Buy batteries only from DJI, buy goggles only from DJI, buy drones only from authorized dealers.....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Oops. They've gone full Apple.....

Can you use an Android tablet with an HDMI output for a Mavic?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.