Really impressed with FPV Australia's RPAS training

Reaction score
If you're considering doing your CASA certification, I'm blown away by training I started with FPV Australia.
They do most of the East Coast by the look of it. Possibly more.

I got stuffed around by a Company I'd have had to travel to go and do it with, and was relieved to find this local company. Then when the course started yesterday I was even more impressed:
The owner pointed out that if he just wanted us to get a tick in the boxes for CASA then he could teach the course, as he's a qualified Trainer and Assessor, but he wanted us to really learn, so he's hired experts from each field to teach it. The guys teaching air navigation have something like 50 years experience each, and REALLY know their stuff. And there was lots of hands on stuff for people who learn that way, mixed well with all the other ways of learning, so that whatever your style, you'll pick it up well.

Then they go over to a local Café for lunch, and any meal and any drink is part of the course cost, he says he does this so you can sit and chat with the instructors in an informal atmosphere away from the training centre, because when he first did his own CASA certification years before, it was sandwiches while sitting around the table they were learning at, with limited chance to just chat with an instructor.

I've only completed the first day, but I am really happy with the choice of company I went with. If you're looking for a company to do your RPAS certification, I doubt you'll find a better one.

Last edited:
If you're considering doing your CASA certification, I'm blown away by training I started with FPV Australia.
The do most of the East Coast by the look of it. Possibly more.

I got stuffed around by a Company I'd have had to travel to go and do it with, and was relieved to find this local company. Then when the course started yesterday I was even more impressed:
The owner pointed out that if he just wanted us to get a tick in the boxes for CASA then he could teach the course, as he's a qualified Trainer and Assessor, but he wanted us to really learn, so he's hired experts from each field to teach it. The guys teaching air navigation have something like 50 years experience each, and REALLY know their stuff. And there was lots of hands on stuff for people who learn that way, mixed well with all the other ways of learning, so that whatever your style, you'll pick it up well.

Then they go over to a local Café for lunch, and any meal and any drink is part of the course cost, he says he does this so you can sit and chat with the instructors in an informal atmosphere away from the training centre, because when he first did his own CASA certification years before, it was sandwiches while sitting around the table they were learning at, with limited chance to just chat with an instructor.

I've only completed the first day, but I am really happy with the choice of company I went with. If you're looking for a company to do your RPAS certification, I doubt you'll find a better one.

Let us know how you go and let us know what the bill is.
I want to get cert but cheap as possible. I don't want end up with a pilots license for a 1.5kg "toy".

Total cost of course was $3850. (including lunch every day at the café) and at the end it certifies you on the Phantom and <7kgs category.
Today we found we can add some extra Manufacturer training for other models for around $200 per model, so I'll be doing both Inspire 1 and S1000 which will raise my category to <20kgs and give me both those models on my "licence" as well.

You can only work as an employee at that stage. It's a bit like just having a pilot licence, but to make money you need to have the UOC which lets you become a business operating one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can only work as an employee at that stage. It's a bit like just having a pilot licence, but to make money you need to have the UOC which lets you become a business operating one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cool thanks. Are you going to do the UOC and what do they charge for that? I had seen their website but they haven't got any courses set for Perth

$1990 for the UOC, but then CASA also charge to come out and test you after it, and that can be a lot more, they're estimating $2000 - $3500 and I live local to them.

Crazy expensive. I think I may as well go for a pilots license...

I heard there might be a special ruling for -2kg craft coming in 2016 (from fpv Australia). As for the state if things at present, I can't believe how expensive and contrived all this is. Typical government. Yes I get the need for training but seriously, its all way too complicated and probably going in the too hard basket

If you're in Perth, still make contact with them, because once they have enough interest they run them over there, they just need to know there's interest.

The sub 2kg change is far from a certainty. There are 1.8kg hexarotors that can do near 200km/h.
You hit someone in the head with 1.8kgs doing that speed, you'll kill them.
I wouldn't wait around in the hope they'll make that change. It's not a certainty.
The UOC is still needed to do commercial work too. The licence only let's you fly for someone else, not operate as a business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lofty Visions
Passed the final exam!!!
Once CASA do their paperwork I'm a certified sub-20kg RPAS pilot for the Phantom, the Inspire 1, and the S1000.

If you go through FPV Australia you sure won't regret it. Tell them Trent sent you, it might even earn me some brownie points.

Reactions: claws
You won't regret it.
And their support goes on afterwards indefinitely with all sorts of other things too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic