Read this in the 107 FAA Study Guide...T/F?

Thanks.....thats one of those trick questions, glad I spotted it!

Unfortunately it's not a trick question but a question designed to test if you have a firm grasp of the fundamentals rather than practicing for a test.

One thing that many people didn't account for was the fact that Part 107 is for ALL Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) under 55lbs which include a lot of fixed wing (airplanes) aircraft. It's easy (and incorrect) to think that all drones are MultiRotors(MR) because we have to include single rotors (helicopters), dual rotors (Coaxial for instance), Hexcopters, Octocopters, and of course my personal favorite fixed wing (airplanes) aircraft.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ and N017RW
Unfortunately it's not a trick question but a question designed to test if you have a firm grasp of the fundamentals rather than practicing for a test.

One thing that many people didn't account for was the fact that Part 107 is for ALL Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) under 55lbs which include a lot of fixed wing (airplanes) aircraft. It's easy (and incorrect) to think that all drones are MultiRotors(MR) because we have to include single rotors (helicopters), dual rotors (Coaxial for instance), Hexcopters, Octocopters, and of course my personal favorite fixed wing (airplanes) aircraft.

Good points, thanks....I am sure I'll have more questions later on.

The question seems to be based on lift performance to prevent a stall and not fuel consumption, fixed wing need lift to stay up there and we don't. Being a phantom pilot I see performance as traveled distance vs battery depletion and a head wind is not a performance enhancer but tail wind sure is. So if I'm getting the gist of this they are talking flight performance on a fixed wing and the craft would still consume more fuel in a head wind as our quads do as their air speed would be high but not their ground speed.

Part 107 is not Phantom or MR centric. It is an atmospheric/aerodynamic question and you would have (likely) gotten it wrong if you approached it from a Phantom's perspective.

Due to an adequate headwind, I have actually flown a fixed wing r/c aircraft backwards from the ground perspective.
Never got to negative ground speed, but have been in the situation where, in a Cessna 150, the traffic on the road below me was moving faster than me. Even though my indicated airspeed was over 100 mph.
Got to remember that Part 107 is aimed at all remotely piloted vehicle operations (fixed wing, helo, quads, etc) not just our phantoms. My Part 107 certification makes I legal for me to fly even some of the large, sophisticated 'drones' - not that any company or agency that has one is asking me too . So general aviation questions like the one the OP posted are legitimate.

Reactions: BigAl07
"For example, a tailwind quickly changing to a headwind causes an increase in airspeed and performance. Conversely, a headwind changing to a tailwind causes a decrease in airspeed and performance. In either case, a pilot must be prepared to react immediately to these changes to maintain control of the aircraft."

This is from the FAA study guide.......is the correct or backwards?

This is correct as many in this thread have pointed out. It is, however, a momentary effect affecting manned aircraft. The scenario is generally applied to approach to landing. The most critical situation is where the headwind changes to a tailwind. It the wind speed change is greater than the aircraft's margin above stall speed, the aircraft will stall. To prevent the stall, the pilot has to react very quickly by adding the appropriate amount of power/thrust which must be followed by another appropriate reduction in power/thrust in order to prevent the aircraft from being too fast for a safe landing.

To see an example in action... throw a paper airplane into the wind and it goes up(should in theory at least), thrown with the wind and it drops(no lift)

When a moving aircraft is suddenly subjected to a quick change in wind direction, lift is momentarily affected. For example: An airplane flying at 100 kts into a ten knot headwind has a 100 kt airspeed and a 90 kt ground speed. It that wind suddenly shifts into a tailwind, the airplane will >momentarily< experience a reduction in airspeed in the amount of 10 knots. This is what wind shear is all about. After the airplane stabilizes in the air mass it will once again develop a 100 knot airspeed but a 110 knot ground speed.

The issue becomes important when an airplane is already flying close to the "stall speed". A sudden shift from a headwind to a tailwind could cause an aerodynamic stall.

Reactions: BigAl07
Part 107 is not Phantom or MR centric. It is an atmospheric/aerodynamic question and you would have (likely) gotten it wrong if you approached it from a Phantom's perspective.

Due to an adequate headwind, I have actually flown a fixed wing r/c aircraft backwards from the ground perspective.

I've flown a Cessna 172 backwards in the same scenario too! Fun times!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic