Re: Charging Muliple PV batteries at once

NEILS said:
I may be wrong about this so don't go trying until we have more info from others but I would have thought the p2v battery would draw the current it needed to charge the battery regardless of supply output?
Don't know for sure, but I have a busted battery to test on anyway. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. :)

I don´t think this has been posted yet.

http://youtu.be/CA1cWjFD1Cw

The materials should be quite simple to come by.

I tried it out with both my old chargers, no go for the iCharger 1010B+ since it tries to measure the present voltage voltage before initiating a charge and the F2V batteries read as dead empty. Brushed motor burn-in mode seemed to only work a couple of times out of the 30 or so I tried. My trusty Multiplex LN-5014 on the other hand had no trouble at charging at the chosen 3.5A.

I got my battery last week but the actual P2V hasn't cleared customs yet, so I got impatient and gave the charging hack a try. As far as I can tell it is working fine. What I wanted to do was use my car battery or a smaller sealed battery to do field charging and since the recently released official DJI car charger is incredibly overpriced and very hard to get I think the Multiplex will do the job for now.

However I ordered a HiTec 44169 X4-80, this together with the youtube hack using the original battery plus two spares should provide more than sufficient air time to learn to handle the basics of my latest toy.

In case some of you are not familiar with field charging, the car engine must be running while you charge; if this is too environmentally unfriendly get a big enough sealed gel battery, charge it at home from the mains and take it with you. I would recommend at least a 20 Ah battery, I have one of those and it managed to start a car with a dead battery without breaking a sweat.

Hey xybe, as I already have that parallel charging board, could I use the HiTec 44169 X4-80 and charge sufficiently through just one of those ports? Or can they be combined somehow? I would prefer not having to do a separate connector for every one of my batteries.

Amra said:
Hey xybe, as I already have that parallel charging board, could I use the HiTec 44169 X4-80 and charge sufficiently through just one of those ports? Or can they be combined somehow? I would prefer not having to do a separate connector for every one of my batteries.

From what I read the charger can output 6 amps at 12 volts per port output, so you would be spreading out the 6 amps between the batteries connected to the board, so if you charge two batteries at the same time it should not take much longer than the standard charger but the more batteries you add the slower it will get.

If you want to use the board there are chargers out there that will output more current than the X4.

Well I bought 3 of those cheap car chargers in the other thread as a temporary option, I have a amp meter attached to my leisure battery so I will see their charging output, will see how well they work out. I'll update later on.

I have now received all parts of my field charging setup & tested it today.

It looks like this

75AH Leisure battery - 20A charger - parallel board with 3 DJI proprietary connections for 3 batteries.

I'll link to the different items later if people are interested.

I have found that the battery (or my charger, not sure) breaks the connection if I go above 6A for charging, so currently charging at 5.9A and I'm not sure if it can be charged at a higher rate.

EDIT: Topping of from 35% to 100% took 35 minutes with a LiPo fast charge option. Quite nice.

Amra said:
EDIT: Topping of from 35% to 100% took 35 minutes with a LiPo fast charge option. Quite nice.
as stated multiple times, P2V lipos have internal charger that manage the voltage ramps charge and balancing of cells
so you have to provide only 12V limited to 4-5A max current

The best way is to use Pb program on charger as shown in a previous video

http://youtu.be/CA1cWjFD1Cw (look at min 6.30)

Regards

urgno said:
Amra said:
as stated multiple times, P2V lipos have internal charger that manage the voltage ramps charge and balancing of cells
so you have to provide only 12V limited to 4-5A max current

The best way is to use Pb program on charger as shown in a previous video

http://youtu.be/CA1cWjFD1Cw (look at min 6.30)

Regards
Yup urgno, I'm doing that now. Works fine.

Will be interesting to know if parallel charging works well when I have several batteries to charge. I guess I will use 5.9A times number of batteries and it will regulate itself down as one battery finishes charging etc.

of course is possible, but as the dji charger has only 4 amps
you will be charging 3 lipo in 3 times the time needed ... small improvement :roll:

the best way is to get a 12V power supply with a current limiter
so you can choose how much amps you want to give to batteries (4amp if one, 8amps if two and so on)

I now have two batteries and have run into a weird issue when trying to parallel charge them both at once.

When I plug them into the parallel board & turn them on, the one with higher voltage starts to charge the other battery. When I put out 10A from the charger, the batteries alternate between charging, not at the same time (maybe they are both charging at the same time, but it alternates between the battery with the LEDs loading bars to indicate charging, so I can't be sure.) Maybe I will post a video later to illustrate what I mean.

Since they are alternating between charging, one of the batteries will stop charging when close to full, this is the same behavior when you are close to full voltage with the standard DJI charger and turn off the battery, it won't auto-detect that it isn't completely full & you must turn the battery on to fully charge it.

Quite annoying this, obviously I'd like to be able to charge them both at the same time without the batteries interacting with eachother, anyone have any tips?

If you don't turn the batteries on they shouldn't interact. They do charge without turning them on unless you're trying to charge from above something like 80%.

geo

Amra said:
I now have two batteries and have run into a weird issue when trying to parallel charge them both at once.

When I plug them into the parallel board & turn them on, the one with higher voltage starts to charge the other battery. When I put out 10A from the charger, the batteries alternate between charging, not at the same time (maybe they are both charging at the same time, but it alternates between the battery with the LEDs loading bars to indicate charging, so I can't be sure.) Maybe I will post a video later to illustrate what I mean.

Since they are alternating between charging, one of the batteries will stop charging when close to full, this is the same behavior when you are close to full voltage with the standard DJI charger and turn off the battery, it won't auto-detect that it isn't completely full & you must turn the battery on to fully charge it.

Quite annoying this, obviously I'd like to be able to charge them both at the same time without the batteries interacting with eachother, anyone have any tips?

I experience the same behavior with my charger. My charger does a "battery check" so I have to power on the battery before my charger will think the battery is "OK". Once it's on I can charge the battery in Pb mode at 12V and can't go above 5.5 amps or the battery automatically shuts off. In my case this is also true when doing a parallel charge. I can't go above 5.5 amps or the battery keeps turning on and off. I bet if you look closely what you will notice is happening is that one battery is turning off then the other causes it to power on and this goes back and forth between the batteries

jdvmi00 said:
I experience the same behavior with my charger. My charger does a "battery check" so I have to power on the battery before my charger will think the battery is "OK". Once it's on I can charge the battery in Pb mode at 12V and can't go above 5.5 amps or the battery automatically shuts off. In my case this is also true when doing a parallel charge. I can't go above 5.5 amps or the battery keeps turning on and off. I bet if you look closely what you will notice is happening is that one battery is turning off then the other causes it to power on and this goes back and forth between the batteries
This is exactly what I mean. If I have the batteries off, my charger does the battery check as you mention and gives me an error 'low voltage', obviously because it doesn't detect the batteries since they are off. Maybe if I could force my charger to deliver the charge without a battery check it would work, but I'm not sure.

It begs the question how the DJI charger works, because it will of course initiate the charging automatically, I wonder how that might be applied to third-party charging.

Maybe parallel charging is out of the question? I do recall seeing some video though, where 3 batteries were merrily charging in parallel properly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20