RC losing contact.

Reaction score
I am having trouble losing RC contact in a short distance ..200 to 300 meters.
I have a modified controller with 3 antenna and I also have a second original. I have extended directional antenna and omni antenna and tried them both.
I have researched alot, reconnected each comtroller, rolled back the firmware a couple of times.
While I do not think it matters, I have used and an Iphone 6, an Ipad 4th generation wifi only and a Samsung 5 under dgi go.
I had an experienced pilot run the drone out over 2 kilometers using the ipad originally but now it looses contact.

Can anyone give me something to try?

I am having trouble losing RC contact in a short distance ..200 to 300 meters.
I have a modified controller with 3 antenna and I also have a second original. I have extended directional antenna and omni antenna and tried them both.
I have researched alot, reconnected each comtroller, rolled back the firmware a couple of times.
While I do not think it matters, I have used and an Iphone 6, an Ipad 4th generation wifi only and a Samsung 5 under dgi go.
I had an experienced pilot run the drone out over 2 kilometers using the ipad originally but now it looses contact.

Can anyone give me something to try?
First off, welcome to the forum. Lots of nice people I've met here and all are helpful.

That being said, there's not much anyone can offer without knowing which DJI product you're referring to.

I think we can rule out the portable device. You can fly without one if you really wanted to. No connection to signal strength, range, etc.

There's a number things that can be going on. The first thing I would try is a different location. Find a wide open field. You mention 2 kilometers at one time. Are you losing signal in that same location?

For now, stick with the original factory controller. And you're sure nobody has messed with wiring inside? The P3S is an all-in-one firmware update so be sure both the A/C and R/C are in synch in terms of firmware. You mentioned rolling back to previous version so be sure the controller is rolled back as well. I'm not familiar with that process so I can't be of much help here.

Loose antenna connections are also possible. Inside the controller and on the A/C.

Lastly, I had similar issues with my P3S. It ended up going back to DJI and received a new mainboard under the factory warranty.

And be sure to search the forum for similar threads. This topic has been discussed a zillion times with a zillion possible solutions. You will probably get confused, but in the end it's going to come down to one of only a few things; loose connection, signal interference, faulty hardware.

I'm sure someone will weigh in with the "it's a wi-fi" drone and that's true in terms of the video transmission back to your R/C. The radio control signal is not wi-fi and as such wi-fi will not impact the actual range, just the video reception.

Reactions: Capt KO
OMG. Another p3s with signal problems, will it never end? Yes I own one, with a powered range booster. VERY susceptible to interference. Clear space, (no magnetic or local wifi) is needed for any distance. LarBear, think you nailed it with your advice. Good luck ToddP3S

I currently fly over a lake in the country, cell service available no wifi..this is where it went out over 2 km and now only get out ashort distance and i went deep into the country where no cell service or wifi and still same thing with 2 controllers. Sounds like it might be a board issue.

I currently fly over a lake in the country, cell service available no wifi..this is where it went out over 2 km and now only get out ashort distance and i went deep into the country where no cell service or wifi and still same thing with 2 controllers. Sounds like it might be a board issue.
If it's happening with both controllers, it could be a loose antenna in the A/C or the main board. Some people are not hesitant to take those things apart and take a look. Me, not so much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav