Rant....

Reaction score
I have been elated with my new P3A that arrived friday afternoon. A few bumps in firmware updates (my fault) and it was ready to fly. With both batteries charged I have flow it (as fast as they would re-charge) friday-all saturday- sunday morning. And then today.... I saw it. A stress crack... and lost my mind.

I saw all the posts about cracks and then re-designs, and then people sending in cracked housings and replacement housings are not doing it. I figured since those posts were a month or more ago I would have an updated bird. Nope, apparently not. I do have the updated motors and what not so thats good. I am just really annoyed. My dealer said send pictures and an email to let them investigate (like they had never heard of it before :eek:) And I already know contacting DJI and gong through them is gonna be a few weeks. I am so mad that I have to get service this quickly. Sigh. Ok rant over. :(

Can you attach a photo?

3 days of flying... Some folks have confused mold seams and other gaps as cracks.

Not doubting you per se... Just sayin'... ;)

its a crack, 100% but here ya go.
IMG_2124.JPG

Sadly: "Whoop, there it is!"

I do. But it's sold via a dealer via Amazon. So Amazon can't swap, I have to return, wait for my money, then re-order. It's annoying at best. If I do that though I'll just save 150.00 and get the p3p with battery refurb from dji for 750.

Hopefully the location you purchased it from will replace it for you.

You are unlucky. The first thing that you should get replacement for your drone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
I do. But it's sold via a dealer via Amazon. So Amazon can't swap, I have to return, wait for my money, then re-order. It's annoying at best. If I do that though I'll just save 150.00 and get the p3p with battery refurb from dji for 750.
not only that, you have about a 50% chance the next one will crack.

I owned 2 separate P3Ps and never had any issues of cracking. I still believe many, not all, are flown "hard" resulting in the infamous cracks.

After about a week and about 12 flights I was reading about stress cracks, decided to check my P3P and sure enough there was one almost identical to the one pictured. Contacted DJI they told me to send it in, I haven't as of yet crack has not grown any larger and still the only one. I guess I will fly her until things change

I have had my P3 for about 13 months and I just recently discovered 2 stress cracks. Granted, I don't fly as often and as far as many on this forum but I consider myself lucky to have lasted this long without incident. I debated whether to try and shore up (strengthen) my motor mounts using epoxy or just bite the bullet and swap the shell. I went ahead and removed the top shell today and discovered that in addition to the 2 cracks there are several pieces that have also broken off around the screw holes and threaded studs. Looks like it's going to be a bigger repair job than I thought. The only stress I can think of that I placed on the bird was a slow and low altitude fall after clipping a racing gate. It fell down and landed upside from about 3 feet into grass. I check it thoroughly and found no damage or cracks so I don't know if the recent cracking was a delayed symptom or what. At any rate I'm going to repair and probably order a spare shell for a replacement down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Same here. Decided the quickest , least painful solution was the metal motor mounts. Seem to be keeping problem in check.

Yeah I ordered strong arms last night for it. They were on sale for 8 bucks so it was a no brainer. I am thinking of getting it repaired and and in the week or so it takes to do that they will be here. And then put them on before the first flight. I have not flown it that "hard" I did a speed test when I first got it just to see, after that it just cruises around the sky. I will sway this things cruising speed is SO much faster than most of the others I have owned. Thats the one option i miss from my Solo was the simple setting to slow the bird and the rotation separately down. It was fast and easy. Now I just adjust the sticks higher for less gain and I cold mess with the expo but what a PITA.

Dont send it in to djis repair facility until you absolutely have to. I have two P3s and both of them had to be sent in for repair and both of them had to be sent back within days of returning because of crappy work and zero quality control. My P3P has stress cracks that showed up after going to Cali twice and my P3A had stress crack appear after only a few flights out of the box.As far as my P3P goes, ill live with the cracks. If they get any worse ill put strong arms on and ill use epoxy as well if need be.

Reactions: morph1
Well on a good note, the dealer through amazon has taken care of it. They are really nice and really fast. It went out Tuesday fedex group, arrived thursday, by friday morning it was processed and has a new shell on it (the newer gen shells I am assuming) and it will be shipping back to me monday. They were awesome. I hope anything else I have to do goes through them because they are great. ((Its Camrise/STCNYC))

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic