Range

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Probably a very common question but I seem to be having issues with my range on my P3 advanced.
In built up areas I can understand not getting much range and it generally only goes about 1500-2000 away feet before losing range and coming home.

In rural locations I've managed 3800 feet away today but I can't help feeling it should be more? Each time it's generally no more than 150' high.
The app shows decent signal and then as soon as it moves it seems to lose it?

Am I wrong in expecting more range?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: smackc4
As Numone said, get the drone up higher and keep an eye on your signal strength. Your distance numbers are normal for a standard antenna set up. You can try a simple windsurfer to increase your range.

Yes, as indicated above, gradually increasing altitude will help with range. Windsurfers are great too. Aiming is also important - even with omni antennas. Try to keep your antennas parallel, upright, but at a perfect 90 angle with the AC.

Great, thanks! I wrongly thought the higher I go the less distance I can go. I'll take it out again tomorrow to the same location as today and see how it goes. What altitude would you guys recommend?

Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...e+extender&dpPl=1&dpID=41TrZgjuISL&ref=plSrch

Yep that's them. There are a few variations on either folding types or fixed parabolic antennas, but as Mark (above) said keeping the controllers antenna parallel with the legs of the drone and aiming at the drone are important to get the best range. Your height will be dependent on the surroundings. In the bush where I live, I would take it up to 150 mtrs to clear the canopy but down at the beach 120 mtrs was enough.

Many of the world class distance guys start off low but keep a sharp eye on the signal strength, and when it drops a bar, they add 50 feet, and so on, keeping it at 5 bars as it goes out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20