Range Issue after repair

Reaction score
As the title states, I've got a range issue whereby for example if I were to take off vertically and try to reach 400' altitude the drone will loose connection around 260' and the most I can get it to is like 320' and any inputs from the controller will automatically "disconnect and return to home" and start to descend.

I had a bent gimbal and sent the drone into DJI in Southern California.

Prior to their repair the P3S had no problems going up to 400' and then flying from there.

Now it seems that there is a very poor connection with both the batteries in the controller as well as the drone being 100% charged.

Is it worth it to start looking at a range extender???? Hate to screw with it if I don't 100% have to..

Sorry, don't know how to check logs, or where they are. I have the latest software version downloaded to my IPhone..

Going straight up above you is the worst possible location, signal wise. Fly forward as you gain altitude, and keep the RC antenna vertical.

Going straight up above you is the worst possible location, signal wise. Fly forward as you gain altitude, and keep the RC antenna vertical.

The antenna is vertical so I got that much correct, I will try and see if going forward at the same time helps. Today it's raining and overcast so I'll see if the clouds interfere with the GPS and the signal.

Can one connect their phone or I/O device via a USB cable to the controller rather than WiFi? Maybe that would help too??

Prior to their repair the P3S had no problems going up to 400' and then flying from there.

Honestly, I would look at a much simpler explanation. If you didn't experience this problem prior to the repair, I suspect that what you're experiencing now could be traced back to the time it spent at DJI. Can you determine if they updated the firmware in the Phantom prior to sending it back to you.

Can one connect their phone or I/O device via a USB cable to the controller rather than WiFi? Maybe that would help too??

Unfortunately, there is no option to connect your device to a P3S via cable. It's strictly a "wi-fi" connection.

I updated the DJI GO app's version when I got the drone back.

Now, I'm also getting an error "compass error, *************" something about cannot fly GPS mode and then it goes to ATTI mode and then back to GPS . Brought it back down and tried to calibrate the compass even though I didn't get a compass error on the app stating it needs to be calibrated, but ?? It seems to fly better but I'm cautious as the drone would not stop when I let go of the control's so I had to use my brain a bit to get it back to where I knew where it was as my Iphone X sucks outdoors for screen view (they are overrated)

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
No, I couldn't sync the drone at first as the app was not logged in so when I logged the app in I had to update the software version..

Actually, just flying it in the rain, and the range is better today than it was last week when I tried. At the same distance the drone is staying connected. So ?? But there's a compass issue at the moment so I have to see hot to calibrate the compass as taking for granted that it will stop when I think it will stop is scary as it keeps traveling at like 25 mph on the direction it was going and I am thinking it is at X and it's a ways off it gets scary....

No, I couldn't sync the drone at first as the app was not logged in so when I logged the app in I had to update the software version..
Software and Firmware are not the same thing.

Rod

Ok, where do I upgrade the firmware? What version should I have "Most" importantly where do I check this?

Check out this web-sight
DJI Phantom 3 Standard Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

It is in the app, and I wouldn't update until you do some more test...

I was trying to figure out if you did a firmware update before you flew it, that can cause some issues. :eek:
In my signature P3S => Fly-it or Fryware-it (Rod)

also, you haven't answered this question yet.

"Did you sent the remote it during the repair?"

Check out this web-sight
DJI Phantom 3 Standard Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

It is in the app, and I wouldn't update until you do some more test...

I was trying to figure out if you did a firmware update before you flew it, that can cause some issues. :eek:
In my signature P3S => Fly-it or Fryware-it (Rod)

also, you haven't answered this question yet.

"Did you sent the remote it during the repair?"

Sorry, yes I sent the controller in with the P3S. Sent them everything other than the SD Card, propellers and charger..

Ok, that helps I always send mine in, and it worked like it should when I got it back.
I have many posts on firmware causing the unit to fail and having to send it in for repair.

Phantom 3 standard Rc signal lost

Terrible signal performance

I really think this what happens.
Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

And I really think you need to do some more testing, not tinkering. ;)

This is why I was fishing for an answer if you could remember if you did a firmware or not. ;)

Rod

No problem at all. I just flew it again and I calibrated the compass on the unit, took a few attempts in order to get far enough away from the the building at work but I didn't get the compass error. I did get it when I turned on the drone but I was already planning to do the calibration.

Flew it an it seems to go up to 400' and there are no range problems but get about 1/8 mile or so away and it automatically wants to come home on its own.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT