RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

PCDan said:
I know what you read about the DJI Controller antenna. The truth is that you should match the direction of the antenna with the P2. So the P2 has 2 tiny whip antennas on each leg front and back that are vertical. You should be parallel to them. It really is more important on the P2 end.

Thanks, good to know … that one is easy to tinker with to find best position.[/quote]

Theoretically. Lol. But doesn't matter too much. You could do a TP link 8db antenna mod to the controller and get 3+ mile range :). I haven't gotten my fpv range that far yet lol

PCDan said:
The connector issue is a pain in the A** … few retailers tell you if male/female. I just ordered all my FPV stuff today, all SMA but have no idea what is SMA male or female. No doubt I will need some adapters.

I ordered three different adapters and ... guess what? The first two times I needed them, I didn't have the right ones.

Sorry off topic here … I ordered all the FPV goodies today from 3 retailers, but I forgot to get a controller mount for the Black Pearl. What are you all using to mount to the Phantom controller?

PCDan said:
Sorry off topic here … I ordered all the FPV goodies today from 3 retailers, but I forgot to get a controller mount for the Black Pearl. What are you all using to mount to the Phantom controller?

The carbon fiber generic one seems to work OK. I'm using one from Phil Ravenshear (Ravecreative on here) which works well but is a tad expensive - but very cool and matches the Phantom tx white.

PCDan said:

I tried all kinds of different mounts...the one machine metal attached to eyelet for the lanyard, another one made of carbon fiber... but the one I use like in the top part of photo was one made from a 3D printer. If you look in the Classified for sale forums here you'll find it. Looks good and works perfect.

d4ddyo said:
I tried all kinds of different mounts...the one machine metal attached to eyelet for the lanyard, another one made of carbon fiber... but the one I use like in the top part of photo was one made from a 3D printer. If you look in the Classified for sale forums here you'll find it. Looks good and works perfect.

Yes, that is the one I have, too. The only problem I'm worried about with it is the issue with taking it off and putting it on regularly. The 3D printer material is not as tough as nylon or other synthetic so there is a warning not to keep putting it on and taking it off. That is not a problem unless you are traveling and having to disassemble everything several times during a trip.

I used it once on a trip and decided that I would take the CF one for future ones. Then I changed over to a T8FGHS and had to go with the carbon fiber anyway.

However, I don't want to knock it too much - it is a very good piece of gear and looks nice as well as being functional. The balance is superb.

ladykate said:
d4ddyo said:

Yes, that is the one I have, too. The only problem I'm worried about with it is the issue with taking it off and putting it on regularly. The 3D printer material is not as tough as nylon or other synthetic so there is a warning not to keep putting it on and taking it off. That is not a problem unless you are traveling and having to disassemble everything several times during a trip.

I used it once on a trip and decided that I would take the CF one for future ones. Then I changed over to a T8FGHS and had to go with the carbon fiber anyway.

However, I don't want to knock it too much - it is a very good piece of gear and looks nice as well as being functional. The balance is superb.

well it fits perfectly in my backpack and will see how it works in my hard case. I don't plan on taking it off.

ladykate said:
PCDan said:

The carbon fiber generic one seems to work OK. I'm using one from Phil Ravenshear (Ravecreative on here) which works well but is a tad expensive - but very cool and matches the Phantom tx white.

thanx … just ordered one from ravecreative

That mount from RaveCreative snaps in perfectly. Got mine for the BlackPearl.

On topic. Immersion RC 600W tx/Black Pearl/ iosd mini/CW Helliaxial58/V2 Spironets took me out to 2km but I chickened out, even though knowing others have gone much further. That's way more than enough for my filming need.

jayhas said:

On topic. Immersion RC 600W tx/Black Pearl/ iosd mini/CW Helliaxial58/V2 Spironets took me out to 2km but I chickened out, even though knowing others have gone much further. That's way more than enough for my filming need.

Same here. It's really battery limited. Pretty sure I'd make 2.5km with my set up if I had a straight shot, but I fly sort of a dogleg course to avoid houses and roads. When I hit 2km I was at 50% battery so it was time to head home.

If you're interested in setting distance records there are lots of tweaks you could do I'm sure, but from a photography standpoint it would only be of interest if there is something you want to film that is in a really inaccessible place. And of course you have no "loiter" time.

The other point is if you live in a place like I do where there is lots of trees, you really can't drop below line of sight altitude or you lose video.

jondrew said:
If you're interested in setting distance records there are lots of tweaks you could do I'm sure, but from a photography standpoint it would only be of interest if there is something you want to film that is in a really inaccessible place. And of course you have no "loiter" time.

Yep. I think it is battery limited. With all the tweaks on antennas and gear that have come out, normal working distances with the P2 are easily covered by FPV. I think this thread originally started because of poor range and working distance. We've surely beat that to death and Shrimpy's goal of solving the problem seems to have been met.

ladykate said:
jondrew said:

Yep. I think it is battery limited. With all the tweaks on antennas and gear that have come out, normal working distances with the P2 are easily covered by FPV. I think this thread originally started because of poor range and working distance. We've surely beat that to death and Shrimpy's goal of solving the problem seems to have been met.

+1 to both.

jayhas said:

Awesome! 2km will be plenty for me. I just ordered the same set up but went for the IB Crazy helical.

With the BP 32CH version i got arround 1.5km range with immersionRC 600mw, more than enough for most users.

GhostMaster said:
With the BP 32CH version i got arround 1.5km range with immersionRC 600mw, more than enough for most users.

I ordered the 7 channel F Band BP which is supposed to get along better with the IRC600. If everything on this thread holds true I should have good fpv distance and reception with the antennas I ordered.... if not i will just get an IRC v3 DUO5800 RX.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I finally got my FatSharks yesterday and wanted to do some flying. (All flights were with Immersion 600mw and Fatshark/Spironet Tx antenna). First flight was with a Spironet on the FSs and I think I went out to around 500m-600m. Didn't have my DVR running. Second flight I put my Immersion Patch antenna on the FSs (easier to direct the antenna by moving my head I think) and put the other Spironet on my 5802 diversity monitor channel A with the old Rubber Ducky on the B channel. I set everything up, started the DVR and flew out towards the local sewage treatment plant. It was very windy so I wanted to stay as low as possible, I kept hitting FailSafe due to LOS interference with the tree line so I eventually got it up over 130m. After I landed I reviewed the IOSD video from the monitor that was taken with the Immersion antenna and was amazed to see it kept up very well with the Patch antenna on my FS goggles. I only went out to 1.6km, but it still worked good enough.

So at least for me, a pair of Spironets with the Immersion 600mw gets me out to 1600m. Not too shabby. I was about to order some IB Crazy RCPs but maybe I'll wait a bit.
ScreenShot2014-05-04at111349AM_zps53a4edc1.png

Update: Went back out after the wind died down and got to a hair over 2km with acceptable video from the Spironets
ScreenShot2014-05-04at75532PM_zpsbf8fd73e.png

jondrew said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but I finally got my FatSharks yesterday and wanted to do some flying. (All flights were with Immersion 600mw and Fatshark/Spironet Tx antenna). First flight was with a Spironet on the FSs and I think I went out to around 500m-600m. Didn't have my DVR running. Second flight I put my Immersion Patch antenna on the FSs (easier to direct the antenna by moving my head I think) and put the other Spironet on my 5802 diversity monitor channel A with the old Rubber Ducky on the B channel. I set everything up, started the DVR and flew out towards the local sewage treatment plant. It was very windy so I wanted to stay as low as possible, I kept hitting FailSafe due to LOS interference with the tree line so I eventually got it up over 130m. After I landed I reviewed the IOSD video from the monitor that was taken with the Immersion antenna and was amazed to see it kept up very well with the Patch antenna on my FS goggles. I only went out to 1.6km, but it still worked good enough.

So at least for me, a pair of Spironets with the Immersion 600mw gets me out to 1600m. Not too shabby. I was about to order some IB Crazy RCPs but maybe I'll wait a bit.
ScreenShot2014-05-04at111349AM_zps53a4edc1.png
I know it's not 5k. But that's pretty good. Is the additional gain for the expense worth it?

d4ddyo said:
I know it's not 5k. But that's pretty good. Is the additional gain for the expense worth it?

You mean over the rubber ducky standard antennas? Definitely. I'm not sure I'll ever fly out much past 2km on any regular basis. Certainly not from my house because that would mean having to cross housing developments/roads etc.

I may mess around and try to build my own helical antenna just for yuks, but again, I'm not really trying to max out range.

jondrew said:
d4ddyo said:

You mean over the rubber ducky standard antennas? Definitely. I'm not sure I'll ever fly out much past 2km on any regular basis. Certainly not from my house because that would mean having to cross housing developments/roads etc.

I may mess around and try to build my own helical antenna just for yuks, but again, I'm not really trying to max out range.

Oh I know that. I mean to actually try ibcrazy's antenna. 1.3k ain't bad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl