RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

havasuphoto said:
GhostMaster said:
Forget about expensive immersionRC/Fatshark gear, Boscam works better and is cheaper...

I got 2000m with this setup(Helical and Boscam CL antennas):
Boscam TS353 400mw: http://j.mp/1gJ6t7s
Boscam 7" RX-LCD5802 5.8GHz Diversity Receiver: http://j.mp/1lZuham
LCD Battery Charger: http://j.mp/1h3CreQ

Everything works well and with a very clear image.
That's the same receiver that I had the DC-IN plug, break off inside the monitor-it's junk!!!
I had no issues before that-and I think that receiver actually works better with the boscam frequencies(those ending in 05). But-no way am I going to buy 1 of those again until they improve that plug-in jack.

And-since a majority of my flying is by reference to FPV, I'm not going to go cheap.

If you want to go with the immersionRC get the Duo or Uno receiver or Fatshark googles, other receivers will not work as good.

GhostMaster said:
Forget about expensive immersionRC/Fatshark gear, Boscam works better and is cheaper...

Ghostmaster,

With all due respect to you and the success you and other Boscam fans enjoy with Boscam gear, there are quite a few of us that have had excellent results with ImmersionRC/Fatshark gear, and in my case, at ranges well beyond 2,000m. In fact, almost double that range. Boscam gear may be cheaper than ImmersionRC/Fatshark gear, though price is not everyone's top criterion. I am very happy with the FPV setup I have, including their Duo receiver, 250mW and 600mW transmitters, and goggles. Add the Lilliput screen, Lumenier DVR, and a good helical and patch antenna to the mix, and this FPV rocks, near and far. I feel sorry for those struggling with a few hundred meters before the snowstorm.

Kelly

GhostMaster said:
If you want to go with the immersionRC get the Duo or Uno receiver or Fatshark googles, other receivers will not work as good.

Agree that staying within the "brand family" on vTx / vRx is a good idea, at least based on my experience in the IRC/Fatshark world. And based on what others post, mixing brands is often a recipe for short range and snowy weather.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
GhostMaster said:

Agree that staying within the "brand family" on vTx / vRx is a good idea, at least based on my experience in the IRC/Fatshark world. And based on what others post, mixing brands is often a recipe for short range and snowy weather.

Kelly

Yes Boscam gear works very well with boscam.

GhostMaster said:
havasuphoto said:
GhostMaster said:

Boscam TS353 400mw: http://j.mp/1gJ6t7s
Boscam 7" RX-LCD5802 5.8GHz Diversity Receiver: http://j.mp/1lZuham
LCD Battery Charger: http://j.mp/1h3CreQ

That's the same receiver that I had the DC-IN plug, break off inside the monitor-it's junk!!!
I had no issues before that-and I think that receiver actually works better with the boscam frequencies(those ending in 05). But-no way am I going to buy 1 of those again until they improve that plug-in jack.

And-since a majority of my flying is by reference to FPV, I'm not going to go cheap.

The problem is; I have one Immersion(air-wave band), and 2 non-airwave band FPV(I have 3 aircraft).....so, I need to find something that works well on both.
IF-the Immersion just doesn't cut it for me, then I'll swap it out for a non-airwave band VTX.
But, this is why I won't ever buy a Boscam 7" monitor...and, every one of them is the same;

Dealer told me they could send it to China, and maybe have it fixed for $91++ dollars....seriously??
I have a TS-832 "uno" receiver that I use for broadcasts, etc...I'll see how well that plays with the Immersion. But-I've already tried air-wave frequencies before, on my TS-832+Boscam, and that combination was terrible.
I honestly expected better with the Immersion and the Black Pearl.

havasuphoto said:
The problem is; I have one Immersion(air-wave band), and 2 non-airwave band FPV(I have 3 aircraft).....so, I need to find something that works well on both.
IF-the Immersion just doesn't cut it for me, then I'll swap it out for a non-airwave band VTX.
But, this is why I won't ever buy a Boscam 7" monitor...and, every one of them is the same;

Dealer told me they could send it to China, and maybe have it fixed for $91++ dollars....seriously??
I have a TS-832 "uno" receiver that I use for broadcasts, etc...I'll see how well that plays with the Immersion. But-I've already tried air-wave frequencies before, on my TS-832+Boscam, and that combination was terrible.
I honestly expected better with the Immersion and the Black Pearl.

That its not the RX-LCD5802 for sure...

More info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2062537

The DC IN jack on the side looks the same too me.
Just not sure I want to go down the same road twice.....I know the Black Pearl has the DC In jack re-enforced with metal on the outside.

havasuphoto said:
Just not sure I want to go down the same road twice.....I know the Black Pearl has the DC In jack re-enforced with metal on the outside.

Mine in the RX-LCD5802 is well built... But will fail if forced, every connects like this ones fail when forced, look at the laptops and the charger connection...

GhostMaster said:
havasuphoto said:

Mine in the RX-LCD5802 is well built... But will fail if forced, every connects like this ones fail when forced, look at the laptops and the charger connection...
I understand that-but it's always gone in straight and easy-never had any force applied to it. It's just junk.....IMHO

havasuphoto said:
GhostMaster said:
havasuphoto said:

I understand that-but it's always gone in straight and easy-never had any force applied to it. It's just junk.....IMHO

I understand your point, and opinions are opinions, we both have your own...

In my opinion the 5802 DC connector is like any other dc connector on any other tech product, someday it fails because i starts to get loose...

Revisiting this old thread...P2, AVL58, spironet cp on aircraft with sma to rp-sma adapter+90 deg adapter-puts the antenna actually below the aircraft. Landed on the edge of a box-so the end could hang off.
on the receiver/monitor(boscam), running the expensive 6? turn helical....also, running frequency 5705Ghz...
1927M at 53M...I would have gone farther, but I don't fly over houses or people...it's kind of a "thing" with me-so I stopped at the entrance to the trailer park.
Oh, stock RC transmitter in aicraft and Futaba 14SGH;
also, video was just as clear after 180 deg turn and return home because it was hanging below the aircraft....that helical antenna is fantastic;

Out, and back, including 30 seconds of hovering while I fiddled with my camera to take the picture was only 7:40...plenty of battery time left. My normal "deal" is to return at 75% battery.....so 1/3rd. that way if it enters fail safe, I still have plenty of battery left. I flew out and back in Attitude mode at 17m/sec. In F/S, the aircraft only does 8m/sec...maybe less-so it helps to plan your distance flights with those things in mind. If you trip 2nd level warning-the aircraft will land!!! and-if it's over water, it's a goner.(hey that rhyme's)

tawd77 said:
Hi, Back to the topic, I figured I would share my setup and distance I did today. Its no record, but its better than I expected!

Phantom 2Z W/ Stock RC
Black Pearl Monitor W/Spironet and Fatshark Patch antenna
ImmersionRC 600mw TX with Spironet

I made it out to 2000 meters, with no complete video loss. It would ocassionally get a little static, but never lost view. No loss when I turned around and headed back either. I stopped at 2000m because Im a wussy, and that was far enough for me. Next time out I might try to go a little further.

How did you do it? I have the same setup except only fatshark omni and no patch and I can't clear 200 m. I know I am late to the party, but I really want to know why the black pearl/immersionrc setup works for some people but doesn't for others.

helishmeli said:
tawd77 said:
Hi, Back to the topic, I figured I would share my setup and distance I did today. Its no record, but its better than I expected!

Phantom 2Z W/ Stock RC

I made it out to 2000 meters, with no complete video loss. It would ocassionally get a little static, but never lost view. No loss when I turned around and headed back either. I stopped at 2000m because Im a wussy, and that was far enough for me. Next time out I might try to go a little further.

How did you do it? I have the same setup except only fatshark omni and no patch and I can't clear 200 m. I know I am late to the party, but I really want to know why the black pearl/immersionrc setup works for some people but doesn't for others.
I had the same luck with the Immersion VTX and sold it. Those run on Air-Wave band frequencies, and for some reason in my area, I was never able to get any range. So, I went back to the Boscam frequencies-with the AVL58 and you see the results.
Keep in mind I'm using a $90 helical antenna...but I think your problem may be the area you fly.

Also-check to make sure both transmitter and receiver are on the same frequency. You can be 1 number off on the monitor or goggles and have pretty good video for 100m or so...but it's still on the wrong channel.

Also-I only use my Black Pearl Monitor as a 2nd monitor...as you can see in the picture, this is my old Boscam receiver, which works well with the non-airwave frequencies. I had 2 CP's on the black pearl next to the other monitor, and it showed nothing but snow after about 600M....
I've also done a side by side test with the same single antenna's on both monitors, and the Boscam beat the Black pearl by a few hundred meters. Your mileage may vary.
I've just never had any luck with a frequency that ends in zero.

Also-I'm in a Desert area, with nothing between me and the aircraft. Only small bushes. Almost no radio frequency noise....so it may depend on the area you fly too.

I understand your point, and opinions are opinions, we both have your own...

In my opinion the 5802 DC connector is like any other dc connector on any other tech product, someday it fails because i starts to get loose...
Mine failed. I have a Boscam-the previous version to the 5802, and after several months of use, the DC IN jack just snapped off the circuit board and inside the monitor.
Luckily-I have an electronics guy here that was able to re-soldier it back on. However, the Black Pearl DC IN jack in re-enforced with metal around the plastic, and I believe will last longer.
So no-they're not like any other tech product. They are much weaker than some.....but not all. They could have done a better job with the design.

Another thing I'm noticing on my Boscam is that the plug not longer "snaps" into the socket. It just goes in smoothly...which means it could fall out just as easily.
I run 2 monitors, 1 is a Black Pearl, just in case the Boscam goes south on me.

havasuphoto said:
helishmeli said:
tawd77 said:

Phantom 2Z W/ Stock RC

I had the same luck with the Immersion VTX and sold it. Those run on Air-Wave band frequencies, and for some reason in my area, I was never able to get any range. So, I went back to the Boscam frequencies-with the AVL58 and you see the results.
Keep in mind I'm using a $90 helical antenna...but I think your problem may be the area you fly.

Also-check to make sure both transmitter and receiver are on the same frequency. You can be 1 number off on the monitor or goggles and have pretty good video for 100m or so...but it's still on the wrong channel.

Also-I only use my Black Pearl Monitor as a 2nd monitor...as you can see in the picture, this is my old Boscam receiver, which works well with the non-airwave frequencies. I had 2 CP's on the black pearl next to the other monitor, and it showed nothing but snow after about 600M....
I've also done a side by side test with the same single antenna's on both monitors, and the Boscam beat the Black pearl by a few hundred meters. Your mileage may vary.
I've just never had any luck with a frequency that ends in zero.

Also-I'm in a Desert area, with nothing between me and the aircraft. Only small bushes. Almost no radio frequency noise....so it may depend on the area you fly too.

So, and I am sorry for being slow, it is not compatible because immersionrc is air-wave band and black pearl is non-airwave? Can you break down what this means as I have never heard of it.

You say you have never had luck with a frequency that ends in 0, but as I am looking at the avaialble frequencies..they all end in 0. (5740 5760 etc.)

I just ordered a helical antenna also, but it cost have as much as yours (VAS 10 turn).

Either way, I am super antsy because I just spent all that money on gear that should let me go at least 1 km (black pearl IRC600mw, P2, spironet omni) and I can't get past my block. You said you ditched air-wave band, but what do you think of me getting an IRC UNO receiver? Wouldn't that straighten it out?

I appreciate your time man, I really do. The guys at my 'local' hobby shop can be so intimidating.

I wouldn't bother with the UNO. airwave is 60 70 80, they end with zero. non-airwave is 05, 45, etc...they end with a 5.
Plenty of others on here have gone further using airwave like you have.
You need to change locations. Can't be near a bunch of houses with a lot of radio noise, etc. Need clear line of site.
Find a large open field out in the middle of nowhere someplace and test there.
Tree's, building, people with stuff, all impact your range significantly. The 5.8ghz band is very crowded.
You should see an increase of about double with the helical.

havasuphoto said:
I wouldn't bother with the UNO. airwave is 60 70 80, they end with zero. non-airwave is 05, 45, etc...they end with a 5.
You need to change locations. Can't be near a bunch of houses with a lot of radio noise, etc. Need clear line of site.
Tree's, building, people with stuff, all impact your range significantly. The 5.8ghz band is very crowded.

Even if the trees are below you, they will affect? ****. Up until now I have been flying at a large field near my old highschool, since I live i RHode Island I think I will try the beach today. I think the beach will be the place with least interference here.

So generally, non-airwave is better than airwave and Boscam is better than Immersion? ****, I should have went with Boscam.

helishmeli said:
havasuphoto said:

Even if the trees are below you, they will affect? ****. Up until now I have been flying at a large field near my old highschool, since I live i RHode Island I think I will try the beach today. I think the beach will be the place with least interference here.

So generally, non-airwave is better than airwave and Boscam is better than Immersion? ****, I should have went with Boscam.
Not necessariy. Spend some time reading the posts on here and decide for yourself. What works well for me won't necessarily work well for you.
Yea, tree's are normally below you ;)
But that shouldn't effect you that much.

Opwan said:
lotusman said:
tawd77 said:
Do you have the black pearl set to diversity mode, so it can pick the best signal? I have the exact setup, but havent had it over 400meters out yet. I will try longer range on wednesday if the wind settles down. I will let you know how it goes.

Hi, I see the LED flashing back and forth, it say DIV, so yes

http://youtu.be/idp7157kzU0
took a video of my first ever flight, it was lots of fun
Make sure you have the right SMA connectors on your antennas, male to female, female to male etc. lots of people make this mistake when installing antennas on RX, TX. There should be a "pin" somewhere in the mix to make good contact. I have a Black Pearl it it does fine. I'm sure it's not the best receiver out there but I didn't want to haul around another gadget on my radio. BTW I like the way you almost hit yourself on landing. :D

i have a black pearl also, with a stock antenna and a spironet omni. for some reason it always prefers antenna slot 2, even if i rearrange the spironet and the stock rubber duck. do you have this problem? also, what kinda range r u getting?

so what is the verdict here? I'm working on my FPV setup now,and so far the only thing I have ordered is the Black Pearl 7ch SMA version. I was planning on running the irc 600mw, but now I'm just confused.

I suppose I could return the BP if needed, but I just want to make sure I get a decent, reliable setup. Seems like some ppl have issues with that setup, and some don't. But I never see why they had issues... Wrong version of BP? Incorrect channel settings? Or is this stuff just really that hit-or-miss?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT