Rain

Reaction score
How sensitive is the Phantom to rain.

I ask cause I got hit by a shower. The bird was in the air less than a minute before I put it on the ground and turned it off

I ask cause I got hit by a shower. The bird was in the air less than a minute before I put it on the ground and turned it off
Should be fine if thats all the longer you were in it. But you sure don't want to be in a shower for very long Im sure. I have flown in heavy fog and a very light mist. Bird was dripping by the time I landed. No prob at all though.

Hi,

Thought I'd try my luck at re-opening this topic.

I live in Scotland which, as most of you may know, is a VERY rainy place. The rain does, however, make everything look 10x cooler from the sky, especially if there are low clouds etc.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried flying the P3 (or even other models) in light rain/drizzle before and if there are any suggestions about safety in doing so?

Reactions: Sixgun89
Hi,

I live in Scotland which, as most of you may know, is a VERY rainy place. The rain does, however, make everything look 10x cooler from the sky, especially if there are low clouds etc.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried flying the P3 (or even other models) in light rain/drizzle before and if there are any suggestions about safety in doing so?
From a mechanical point of view the P3 isn't as resistant to rain as the P4. Vents on P3 are on the top sides for the props to force air through the craft for cooling, bad for rain. The P4 have their vents on the bottom of the motor arms for air to enter and exit, circulated with a fan inside the craft to push the air around. Since the P4 vents are on the bottom it's more difficult for rain to enter the inside of the craft.

Bottom line, I would be very worried about P3's flying in any rain, however I have no experience with this because I live in sunny California where it rarely rains. But I did fly in fog once in Huntington Beach with my P3P and it was soaked when it returned. I quickly wiped it down and never had an issue afterwards. I will never fly in fog again, whew.

From a mechanical point of view the P3 isn't as resistant to rain as the P4. Vents on P3 are on the top sides for the props to force air through the craft for cooling, bad for rain. The P4 have their vents on the bottom of the motor arms for air to enter and exit, circulated with a fan inside the craft to push the air around. Since the P4 vents are on the bottom it's more difficult for rain to enter the inside of the craft.

Hey John, Do you have any good flying spots in your area? Plenty out here in the desert for you to try. I'm about 30 min. away and was looking for somewhere new to get some footage.

Reactions: Bazza.

Hi,

What about the soaking wet camera?
I will personally let you know tomorrow... My drone crashed on a roof and was stuck up there all night and it rained all night non stop right until the next day when it was rescued lol am picking it up tomorrow so I will test it and let you know

What about the soaking wet camera?

So keep in mind that DJI on there own also did there best to make the drone water resistant and that includes the camera setup including the gimbal ring.

We have had several conversations with the Team at DJI in regards to how the camera is water resistant and one of the first things
you will notice is that it does not use the same material as the drone so the seams on the camera are very secure as even dunking it in water will not induce water intake into the camera and has the ability to still record if not submerged entirely as long as the signal permits.

The problems of the camera all stems from the gapping hole in the middle of the drone called the gimbal ring and that is the biggest threat we had to address.

We created the Surge Ring not to seal it as it needs to remain open but to slow down the intake of water and slow the water intake down.

The Surge Ring also did an excellent job at negotiating horizontal rain , another needed feature on the Phantom series.

We also learned one interesting fact about the camera lens and why it is on so tight from the factory and that is to keep the camera lens from taking on
any water they had to put the camera lens on with a factory seal.

This was to minimize any water spots to get on the lens .

Many of us use filters so we break the factory seal and never quite put it on again with such force, yet the camera remains very water resistant but maybe not for a long period of time before it was factory sealed. we are not sure about that but interesting none the less..

We realize that everyone would love to have the drone as a submarine and we would love also , but are goal was to provide a drone that could withstand a 30 ,minute storm to get in with confidence and get out safely and we have achieved that was are rather clever 3 part system and studying storms , rain and snow under slow motions conditions to see what penetrates and how.

We have made improvement for the drone in every area allowing for better and more secure flights.

We also understand that many of you are going to just try to put it in the eye of the hurricane , lol and we cannot stop you but remember Wind is now your worst enemy.

Thank you
Coal
Phantomrain.org

Attachments

• QUEST AND ANSWER.jpg
    QUEST AND ANSWER.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 305
Hi guys
came across the rain twice yesterday in two flights , here is one of them ( just a very short footage ) , the bird was unexpectedly great and had a normal behavior i was rushing to land asap , i finally ended up kept flying , the rain stopped shortly after .

Reactions: Neon Euc
Hi guys
came across the rain twice yesterday in two flights , here is one of them ( just a very short footage ) , the bird was unexpectedly great and had a normal behavior i was rushing to land asap , i finally ended up kept flying , the rain stopped shortly after .

Outstanding video , love that you captured a few drops.

You should think about getting the Phantom Rain wetsuit.

Reactions: Onemanshow
Once you have the Wetsuit you can push the limits and have a blast , as we cannot wait until the next superstorm to capture by air.

For now we captured this 26 minutes in the Pouring Rain and its a good example of what types of weather you can fly in.

Wow, what a ride. I was really hanging on there.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Mavic flying in hurricane Irma

This was outstanding , This is what were hoping to see from those purchasing the Phantom Rain Wetsuits, and here it is on a Mavic. Keep in mind that the camera lens on the Mavic is just a little bit more out in the open with less protection the the Phantom Camera, which brings up an interesting point and that is what can you do if the rain drops stick to the lens when the rain slows down?

1. go straight up fast as you can to clear the lens ,
2. jumping into sport mode can also clear the lens at times
3. Flicking the camera down and up is also a very good way as we saw you apply that technique
4. Spin the Drone in a 360 to catch the wind to wipe the lens

If you ever get yourself a Phantom 4 , keep us posted and will be glad to get you a Phantom Rain Wetsuit on the house. :)
This was so much fun to watch as anything could have happened and you would have captured the moment.

Coal
Phantomrain.org

ADVENTURE BEGINS.jpg

Last edited:
Best video I've seen in these forums in weeks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl