Railroad interference issues?

No troubles yet, either.

Attachments

• DJI_0073.JPG
    DJI_0073.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 306
As already noted, in the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz range, you shouldn't have any issues. I will note that flying through railroad tunnels or steel suspension bridges can interrupt signal, so be forewarned.

As already noted, in the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz range, you shouldn't have any issues. I will note that flying through railroad tunnels or steel suspension bridges can interrupt signal, so be forewarned.
As well as likely compass issues.

Although most people think a train runs on huge diesel motors, they just turn the alternators which power the electric motors that actually move the train.

Since the diesel-electric locomotive uses electric transmission, traction motors are provided on the axles to give the final drive. These motors were traditionally DC but the development of modern power and control electronics has led to the introduction of 3-phase AC motors. For a description of how this technology works, go to the Electronic Power Page on this site. There are between four and six motors on most diesel-electric locomotives. A modern AC motor with air blowing can provide up to 1,000 hp.

There was about 500 engines over multiple miles...... I have video flying down them but don't have time or software to deal with it. :)

It could cause magnetic interference and mess with your GPS. Having a train pass by could make it worse - happened to me recently, phantom started drifting and couldn't land the thing. Btw I was about 350 above it..

Very nice capture. Did you use the "Tripod" mode to get the smooth cinematic effect? What was the frame (fps) rate?

Sorry, I was on vacation with no internet access when you posted this. I apologize for not seeing it sooner!

This was shot with a P3S, 2.7k and 30 fps, using an ND32 filter. No tripod mode on the P3S; I just had to keep a steady hand.

There was fairly high wind, too. According to AirData analysis I had a couple of gusts of 29 mph when I was above the bridge. You'd never know it looking at the footage.

It could cause magnetic interference and mess with your GPS. Having a train pass by could make it worse - happened to me recently, phantom started drifting and couldn't land the thing. Btw I was about 350 above it..

If you were that far away I doubt the train caused your problem. I suspect something else was the culprit.

Reactions: FlashBuddy
If you were that far away I doubt the train caused your problem. I suspect something else was the culprit.

The magnetic field from the overhead lines (high voltage cables) may indeed cause issues with the compass of the Phantom, but only if you are very close, like trying to land on the roof of the train. The field decreases rapidly in strength with increased distance. More than 100 feet away, the magnetic field is roughly on the same level as in areas far from electric wires. If you still find issues with drifting at this distance, they are definitely caused by something else.

Last edited:
I've flown over train tracks quite a few times and you should not see any problems other than a magnetic effect if close to the rails themselves. The typical comm frequencies for train communication are in the 150MHz range so that should not be an issue either. So, as long as you don't take off or land right next to the rails there should be no problem. OTH, I stay well away from cell towers as the frequencies they emit can be a lot closer to the signals the drone uses. I can't say that I have any clear experience that would confirm a problem with cell towers, but I'd argue it's better to play it safe and avoid them where possible.

Brian

A train 350 feet below you would have no effect on your compass and magnetic interference won't affect GPS.
There's a lot more steel here than in any train and it's a lot closer than 350 ft. You could be 25 feet from a train without issues
DJI_0978a-X2.jpg

It sounds like you had unrelated compass problems that caused the Phantom to ignore GPS and go into atti mode.

Reactions: FlashBuddy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3