Question regarding compass interference ....

Reaction score
So here's my situation. If I fly off the top of my parking garage (which is perfect, because you're 6 stories up and you have a great line of sight for the signal, Most the time that I put it on the surface of the parking garage, I get compass interference, and we've discovered it's because there is huge amounts of iron rebar in the surface. And that's what's causing the compass problem. However, when I take the drone to a open field it shows completely 100% in calibration without doing anything. There are times that I'm just going to have to take off for the parking garage. It's just a lot simpler. So here's the question: If it allows me to take off with compass interference, is that cleared up as soon as it leaves the parking garage? It would seem so, based upon the way it acts when I take it to the field an Hour later. Btw, it flies 100% perfect off the garage with that compass interference alert.

Thanks!

My experience is that the compass is good as it clears the interference, it has happened to me several times and once in the air all was well. As long as the compass is calibrated in a clean area all worked well for me.

Reactions: glen e
Glen, once your in the air check in GO , sensors, and I bet the compass will be in the green, as long as you have enough satellites to save your home point your bird will know it's way home.

Glen, once your in the air check in GO , sensors, and I bet the compass will be in the green, as long as you have enough satellites to save your home point your bird will know it's way home.

Thx, I did exactly that today ,and That's exactly what I discovered as well. So compass interference doesn't negate/destroy a recent calibration.

Reactions: Erised
you are taking serious risk doing this. When you power on the drone in an area that interferes with the compass, the drone may incorrectly think its facing a direction it's not. Once you take off and the interference changes or clears, the drone can fly erratically, even uncontrollably because it cannot make heads or tails of what it's seeing. It might fly fine 9 times. But that 10th time...

There are videos illustrating this happening online resulting in near misses or crashes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20