Question about Wifi Controller and Signal

Reaction score
I just bought a Phantom 3 Pro 4K. I have used my IPhone 6+ and my Samsung Galaxy note table both so far. I keep getting weak transmission signal or lost after being up 250' feet or even out a couple hundred feet. I've tried to make sure antennas where positioned right but still getting the weak signal. I even lost signal at times... and as a new pilot that is scary. I've tried different locations and still samething.

I guess my main question is could this be caused or harmed by having the wifi remote versus the remote that connects phone and controller with wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Tim

I wouldnt blame the weak transmission on the Phone/Note but more on the bird and controller itself. Are you facing the bird when flying? It's a wifi feed from controller to device, not wifi to the bird. Did you buy it new or used?

Some Standards and P3 4k's just dont do well with transmission. Most people end up buying range extenders to keep from losing signal.

The advantage P3A and P3P have over the Standard and P3 4k is the lightbridge technology allowing you to fly further away and not lose signal. Also USB tethering instead of wifi connection from controller to device.

I wouldnt blame the weak transmission on the Phone/Note but more on the bird and controller itself. Are you facing the bird when flying? It's a wifi feed from controller to device, not wifi to the bird. Did you buy it new or used?

Some Standards and P3 4k's just dont do well with transmission. Most people end up buying range extenders to keep from losing signal.

The advantage P3A and P3P have over the Standard and P3 4k is the lightbridge technology allowing you to fly further away and not lose signal. Also USB tethering instead of wifi connection from controller to device.

No I bought it used from a friend of mine who flew it literally 2 times then didn't want it. Yes I'm facing the drone when flying but like I mentioned I have moved antennas to try and make sure they aren't pointing straight at drone.
So what is he range on the pro 4K? I was under the impression that that was the top of the line P3... Is that not right?
I should be able to get video from a few hundred feet away.

Can you please tell me some good extenders and also what is lightbridge? Will of the the controllers that use a wire to connect work with my drone? Really just ready to use this and enjoy It. Not too much fun flying 200 feet high and out 150 feet to lose signal.

Maybe I misread your post. Do you connect your phone to the controller through wifi or through a cable? If you connect through wifi, then you have a Phantom 3 4k. If you connect through a USB cable, then you have a Phantom 3 Pro. These are 2 different drones.

If you have a Phantom 3 4k, you cant use a Phantom 3 Professional controller with it.

Maybe I misread your post. Do you connect your phone to the controller through wifi or through a cable? If you connect through wifi, then you have a Phantom 3 4k. If you connect through a USB cable, then you have a Phantom 3 Pro. These are 2 different drones.

No I connect though wifi. It's a P3 Pro 4K.. I wasn't sure if the weak transmission singal could be cause damage by that... I really want to be able to flight this thing higher than 250-300' and same on distance. I've formatted card re downloaded app. Any help please??

Is the P3 Pro 4K not the best P3 you can get?? What is typical range as far as video transmission is concerned?

I just bought a Phantom 3 Pro 4K. I have used my IPhone 6+ and my Samsung Galaxy note table both so far. I keep getting weak transmission signal or lost after being up 250' feet or even out a couple hundred feet. I've tried to make sure antennas where positioned right but still getting the weak signal. I even lost signal at times... and as a new pilot that is scary. I've tried different locations and still samething.

I guess my main question is could this be caused or harmed by having the wifi remote versus the remote that connects phone and controller with wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Tim
Get yourself a windsurfer..I think they help a little or you have to spend some money on some sort of WiFi booster sets

Why post about a P3 Pro in the Standard / 4K section ... its wrong section completely and the P3 Pro uses completely different controller / connection etc. etc.

Quote : "I just bought a Phantom 3 Pro 4K" ......

But totally confusing because then goes on to say :

Quote "I guess my main question is could this be caused or harmed by having the wifi remote versus the remote that connects phone and controller with wire" ....

As we all know ... each form of the P3 has only one way to connect controller to display ... P3S via WiFi .... P3A / P3 Pro via cable .. there is no optional way ...

Would help if OP took a photo of the actual controller - then we could be sure of which version he really has ...

Nigel

I believe it is just a misnomer on the part of the OP. My bet is that he has a P3-4K and he is sticking "pro" in there mistakenly, maybe because he was told it was a Pro by the "friend" who sold it to him.

Reactions: Former Member
I believe it is just a misnomer on the part of the OP. My bet is that he has a P3-4K and he is sticking "pro" in there mistakenly, maybe because he was told it was a Pro by the "friend" who sold it to him.

I think so. He has a Phantom 3 4k. Its hard to tell the difference by looking at them because they both have gold stripes and gold emblem. But the Phantom 3 4k says Phantom 4k on the emblem.

OP you do not have the top of the line Phantom 3. What you have is a one step above the Phantom 3 Standard that has a 4k camera.

Here is the Phantom 3 food chain:

Phantom 3 Standard - cheapest and fewest features
Phantom 3 4k (OP has this one) - second cheapest
Phantom 3 Advanced - 3rd cheapest with 2.7 camera
Phantom 3 Professional - Top of the line with 4k camera

No I connect though wifi. It's a P3 Pro 4K.. I wasn't sure if the weak transmission singal could be cause damage by that... I really want to be able to flight this thing higher than 250-300' and same on distance. I've formatted card re downloaded app. Any help please??

Is the P3 Pro 4K not the best P3 you can get?? What is typical range as far as video transmission is concerned?

You dont have a P3 Pro 4K. You have a P3 4k. Not a Pro. Range can be maybe 700 - 1300 feet and maybe max altitude 400 feet (FAA law). I have never had great range with a Phantom 3 4k.

If you want to fly higher and further, get an antenna booster, or sell what you have and buy a Phantom 3 Advanced or Phantom 3 Professional.

Where were you flying? If you're taking off in an urban area with lots of interference, the range tends to go diwn.

You dont have a P3 Pro 4K. You have a P3 4k. Not a Pro. Range can be maybe 700 - 1300 feet and maybe max altitude 400 feet (FAA law). I have never had great range with a Phantom 3 4k.

If you want to fly higher and further, get an antenna booster, or sell what you have and buy a Phantom 3 Advanced or Phantom 3 Professional.

Thunder-- I fly my P34k over 3000' with stock antennas,,haven't hit RTH Yet I'm not sure what kind max range it will get yet,,sooo,

I'm thinking maybe a loose antenna connection inside the remote,,there are a few people I've read about that have had that problem,,range should be better than that,no?

Thanks for the info. When you say antenna booster are you referring to wind surfer or a wifi range extender to install in remote? Thank you for your help.

I'm thinking maybe a loose antenna connection inside the remote,,there are a few people I've read about that have had that problem,,range should be better than that,no?

Yea I would think the range should be better than 1000' and 300' high. Think the guy was mad I made a mistake saying what I had.

Thunder-- I fly my P34k over 3000' with stock antennas,,haven't hit RTH Yet I'm not sure what kind max range it will get yet,,sooo,

Ive never had that kind of luck with any of the ones Ive repaired, they seem to max out on range alot sooner than that, but maybe youre flying ijn unobstructed areas. Thats pretty good range without antenna boost.

Its possible since he bought it used. Something might be broken.

Thanks for the info. When you say antenna booster are you referring to wind surfer or a wifi range extender to install in remote? Thank you for your help.

You can try a windsurfer, alot of people use them. A good Wifi range extender is going to cost you alot more than a windsurfer, and give you better range. If it were my P3 4k, I would try a set from a place that I can return them.

This is an Itelite that will need to be installed from Walmart! They are usually good quality.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ITELITE-...6177&wl11=online&wl12=295822789&wl13=&veh=sem

Here are some from Amazon, they just slide on:

Amazon.com: SKYREAT Copper Parabolic Antenna Signal Range Booster for DJI Phantom 4/4 Pro/Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced/4k/ Inspire 1 Controller Transmitter Signal Extender (2 Pcs): Electronics

Try to buy from a place that will let you return them if it doesnt help your range. And most important, buy the right ones. You will need antennae for the Phantom 3 4k, make sure it says that in the ad or on the box.

Ive never had that kind of luck with any of the ones Ive repaired, they seem to max out on range alot sooner than that, but maybe youre flying ijn unobstructed areas. Thats pretty good range without antenna boost.

Its possible since he bought it used. Something might be broken.

You can try a windsurfer, alot of people use them. A good Wifi range extender is going to cost you alot more than a windsurfer, and give you better range. If it were my P3 4k, I would try a set from a place that I can return them.

This is an Itelite that will need to be installed from Walmart! They are usually good quality.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ITELITE-...6177&wl11=online&wl12=295822789&wl13=&veh=sem

Here are some from Amazon, they just slide on:

Amazon.com: SKYREAT Copper Parabolic Antenna Signal Range Booster for DJI Phantom 4/4 Pro/Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced/4k/ Inspire 1 Controller Transmitter Signal Extender (2 Pcs): Electronics

Try to buy from a place that will let you return them if it doesnt help your range. And most important, buy the right ones. You will need antennae for the Phantom 3 4k, make sure it says that in the ad or on the box.

Will something like this work?

Amazon.com: BlueProton DJI Phantom 3 Standard WiFi Signal Range Extender Antenna Kit by ARGtek: Camera & Photo

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures