Question about drones..

Reaction score
I am almost afraid to ask a question because of my last thread..

I have never owned a drone before, I am a newbi..

I want to buy a drone for around $500 - $600 dollars soo after paying all that money for a drone my question is....how long does a drone last?.. Do drones break, crash and get lost a lot? Because if I pay that much for a drone I want it to last for a while.

Read up in the forum most your questions will be answered & Yes they can break in a crash & get lost sometimes but thats usually due to pilot error ;)

I want to buy a drone for around $500 - $600 dollars soo after paying all that money for a drone my question is....how long does a drone last?.. Do drones break, crash and get lost a lot? Because if I pay that much for a drone I want it to last for a while.
Have a search on ebay or similar,got some good used ones,ok priced aswell,these phantoms very easy to learn and fly,yes as above say they can crash,got one of these in 2016 and it still goes good,never lost one yet
Screenshot_20180218-173503.jpg
,this just example

Last edited by a moderator:

You can easily get into a new Phantom 3 Standard with complete warranty or even a lightly used Advanced or Professional for less than $600.

99% of the broken, crashed, lost drones are due to pilot error. It's easy to fly and stay out of trouble at the same time. Some pilots simply take risks flying long distances or at high altitudes and eventually pay the price.

The better care you take of them, the longer they last. If you're not abusing them, doing anything crazy, storing them or flying them where you can induce corrosion in the electronics, they should last a very long time. The batteries would be the thing to worry about, as they can only last so many charge cycles, but they should still last a good while if you cycle them properly.

Hi BillyBoot, and don't worry about asking questions.

Firstly, I think most would agree that a drone would last pretty long if you 1) fly smart, and 2) perform maintenance, and 3) watch out for warning signs.

As mentioned above, drones that meet an early demise are mostly due to pilot error.

As just_nick mentioned above, if you are a smart / careful pilot, then the main concern would be batteries eventually wearing out.

I would highly recommend that you try studying for a 107 pilots license. You won't NEED one if you just want to fly as a hobby, but it sure gives you a lot of information about drones, weather conditions, general aviation, and air safety that will help you make better decisions... even if you are just flying for recreation.

Maybe though it would be best to start with an inexpensive drone just to see if you like it??? I can't think of any particular ones to recommend because I have only ever flown phantom 3 Advanced and Pro models, but I am sure there must be one or two nice, less expensive drones out there. Hope this helps.

The probability of your new toy crashing or being lost is inversely proportional to the effort you put into understanding how they operate and your experience flying one. Spend some time here reading, download the manual for the model your going to buy and spend some time understanding the functions. Operating any of the current GPS equipped AC is easy to learn but difficult to master. Patience will reward you.

Ahh... I found the last thread you started that was closed by a moderator.

First, sorry that there were a lot of people who were dismissive of your question. I think it might be hard for a lot of people who have a lot of experience flying drones to remember their state of mind when they first got interested in buying a drone.

So I would encourage you to learn about the basic laws regarding flying a drone first before spending a significant amount of money on one.

To fly legally, there are quite a few restrictions. Many cities / towns around the US are making even MORE restrictions.

If you go on youtube you will see a lot of people flying drones illegally. Many people do that. I don't fly illegally and wouldn't recommend anybody fly illegally. Other people don't care what I think.

So again, before you shell out $600 on a drone, please do some research to find out:

1) what drones are actually capable of doing (in terms of altitude, flying time, speed, distance, etc.), and

2) What your LOCAL laws are regarding operating a drone, and

3) What the national (FAA) laws are regarding operating a drone.

I know we are all enraptured by the idea of being able to fly high and to fly free, but unfortunately things are not that simple.

Ahh... I found the last thread you started that was closed by a moderator.

First, sorry that there were a lot of people who were dismissive of your question. I think it might be hard for a lot of people who have a lot of experience flying drones to remember their state of mind when they first got interested in buying a drone.

So I would encourage you to learn about the basic laws regarding flying a drone first before spending a significant amount of money on one.

To fly legally, there are quite a few restrictions. Many cities / towns around the US are making even MORE restrictions.

If you go on youtube you will see a lot of people flying drones illegally. Many people do that. I don't fly illegally and wouldn't recommend anybody fly illegally. Other people don't care what I think.

So again, before you shell out $600 on a drone, please do some research to find out:

1) what drones are actually capable of doing (in terms of altitude, flying time, speed, distance, etc.), and

2) What your LOCAL laws are regarding operating a drone, and

3) What the national (FAA) laws are regarding operating a drone.

I know we are all enraptured by the idea of being able to fly high and to fly free, but unfortunately things are not that simple.
Good advice here....

I find it amazing you might fly to the letter of the laws and local regulations always. Good for you if you can. Knowing what the regulations are and understanding their intent is a good start.

Buy a bugs 3 for $99 on woot it has brushless motors comes with 2 batterys 3 houseing covers canr go wrong, just be careful they are fast in high mode, than buy a dji

Buy a bugs 3 for $99 on woot it has brushless motors comes with 2 batterys 3 houseing covers canr go wrong, just be careful they are fast in high mode, than buy a dji
Thanks man....I just bought a Bugs 3..... I can't wait for it to get here.

You will enjoy it alot, watch the YouTube videos on the bugs 3 there are 100's of them, 9 out of ten of drone bloggers pick the bugs 3 as there favorite non gps drone

Thanks man....I just bought a Bugs 3..... I can't wait for it to get here.

Keep in mind you'll need to register it since it weighs more than 255gr.

Drone Safety Tips
  • Register your drone
  • Fly your drone at or below 400 feet above the ground level
  • Keep your drone within your line of sight
  • Be aware of FAA Airspace Restrictions
  • Respect privacy
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people
  • Never fly near emergencies such as fires or hurricane recovery efforts
  • Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
2 Options for Flying Your Drone
There are two options to fly your drone legally. Each option has different requirements depending on how you want to fly.

Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336)
For more information, see: Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (Part 107)

• Fly for recreational OR commercial use
  • Register your drone
  • Get a Remote Pilot Certificate from the FAA
  • Fly a drone under 55 lbs.
  • Fly within visual-line-of-sight*
  • Don't fly near other aircraft or over people*
  • Don't fly in controlled airspace near airports without FAA permission*
  • Fly only during daylight or civil twilight, at or below 400 feet*
* These rules are subject to waiver.

For more information, see: Fly under the Small UAS Rule

Keep in mind you'll need to register it since it weighs more than 255gr.

Drone Safety Tips
  • Register your drone
  • Fly your drone at or below 400 feet above the ground level
  • Keep your drone within your line of sight
  • Be aware of FAA Airspace Restrictions
  • Respect privacy
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people
  • Never fly near emergencies such as fires or hurricane recovery efforts
  • Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
2 Options for Flying Your Drone
There are two options to fly your drone legally. Each option has different requirements depending on how you want to fly.

Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336)
For more information, see: Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (Part 107)

• Fly for recreational OR commercial use
  • Register your drone
  • Get a Remote Pilot Certificate from the FAA
  • Fly a drone under 55 lbs.
  • Fly within visual-line-of-sight*
  • Don't fly near other aircraft or over people*
  • Don't fly in controlled airspace near airports without FAA permission*
  • Fly only during daylight or civil twilight, at or below 400 feet*
* These rules are subject to waiver.

For more information, see: Fly under the Small UAS Rule
Thank you BigAlI07.. :)

Reactions: BigAl07
Thank you BigAlI07.. :)

Sorry if I was dismissive but it seemed you continued to state your ill-advised intentions of flying outside of guidelines even after being given links to them.

Good luck and fly safe!

Reactions: Just Mark
And you can buy insurance from State Farm or Allstate for $60 a year that covers your UAV

Reactions: BillyBoot

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl