Question about antannae lead length.

Reaction score
I have seen various 'proper' range extending antennae and most seem to use screw on leads to connect the antennae to the controller. I have also seen antennae advertised as suitable for mounting, via a suction cup, on a car roof or bonnet whilst the pilot and controller are inside the car. Again screw on leads are used to connect the antennae to the controller but they are long.

This got me to wondering, is the length of such leads critical and matched to the antennae?

My VERY limited understanding of radio transmitters and receiver suggests the length of the antennae is connected to the wavelength of the intended radio waves so I am wondering if the same applies to the leads.

N017RW

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The leads are not part of the tuned section and do not alter the matching. However the length and number of connections does create signal loss. Keeping the leads short and with few connections is best.

N017RW

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Nearly all antenna cables are coaxial, so Yes.

Reaction score
The antenna is supposed to match the wave length. The cables do have an insertion loss. Short is always the best, but not necessarily so for the antenna itself.

Reactions: ianzone

N017RW

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
In practice antennas are typically less than a full wavelength due to [physical] practicality.
The most common fractions are 5/8, 1/2 & 1/4.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TX Baron