Purchasing...on the bubble...

Reaction score
New to flying these copters...have been investigating the various types of copters to purchase. Pretty much had my mind made up to get a Phantom 4 v.2 then I inadvertently posting in the Mavic forum and they suggested that I go that route. Hoping to get some input from here as to which one I should get. I like the idea of utilizing my phone or tablet as the screen. I think you can use your phone on a mavic but not a tablet.

Was hoping to get some input to provide insight as to why I should get the phantom 4. Anybody come from a Mavic or other copter? Their both priced pretty much the same....phantom is bigger and I think both have the same amount of sensors.

Each copter, as I see it, have pluses going for them.....

Anybody wanta to share their thoughts on the matter before I pick my choice.....once you buy it....its yours.

thanks in advance...

New to flying these copters...have been investigating the various types of copters to purchase. Pretty much had my mind made up to get a Phantom 4 v.2 then I inadvertently posting in the Mavic forum and they suggested that I go that route. Hoping to get some input from here as to which one I should get. I like the idea of utilizing my phone or tablet as the screen. I think you can use your phone on a mavic but not a tablet.

Was hoping to get some input to provide insight as to why I should get the phantom 4. Anybody come from a Mavic or other copter? Their both priced pretty much the same....phantom is bigger and I think both have the same amount of sensors.

Each copter, as I see it, have pluses going for them.....

Anybody wanta to share their thoughts on the matter before I pick my choice.....once you buy it....its yours.

thanks in advance...
First of all, you are able to use both your phone and tablet on the Mavics. All you need is an adapting mount. Secondly, I think the answer to which you should purchase really depends on your intended purpose. Plan on doing mapping? A P4 is the best i think. Better camera? That could be up for debate. The MA2 will be a popular choice. Just flying for fun but want a pretty good camera then a Mini 2. So i think it depends on what you're looking to do with it.

-RP

Their both priced pretty much the same....phantom is bigger and I think both have the same amount of sensors.
The Mavic 2 has the same size sensor and similar performance.
But DJI also make the less expensive Mavic Air 2 and a Mini 2 with smaller sensors and different performance.

Reactions: drifter106
When faced with this same decision 2 years ago, the Phantom's higher landing gear/clearance was an important factor for me since I am flying in rural areas with uneven ground/grass...(and the mapping focus). Have now 'graduated' to hand-catching ---and that landing gear sure comes in handy for that too....

Welcome to the forum enjoy ?

well...I went and done it!!! Ordered a Phantom 4 vs.2 just now from B&H. Real excited about getting it and working with it. Appears I will be spending some time on the flight simulator first.

Only thing I regret is after my investigations about these DJI drones it appears the Phantom 4 vs. 2 does not provide "time lapsing" whereas the other copter did....oh well.

Question...I see the batteries for said copter are $185....see them advertised on amazon for $125. The cheaper battery has the same specs as the high priced battery. Also, found a battery charger for a reduced price as well. Am I going to run into trouble with purchasing the less expensive batteries and/or battery charger?

Have several grandkids that are gonna fall head over heels when they see this thing!!!!

Really glad that I found this site....pick a lot of you guys head....lmao!

Thanks to those who reply to this.....information you share will drastically help this newbie out!!

One other thing...I ordered protectors for the blades and a 3 port charging base for the 2 batteries that I am getting. Getting the batteries and charging base from amazon. Will wait and hear what you fellas have to say about the batteries and charging base before I order from Amazon!

What about filters for camera...have found 3 and 6 filters to a packette....do I need all six or will 3 suffice? Kinda expensive but want to do the right thing coming out of the gate. Does anybody use blades that are not DJI blades? They are cheaper but do they work ok?

Good time to order....I am getting the same emotional feelings like when I was a kid and waiting for Xmas!!!LOL

One again....thanks people!!!!!

God Bless!!!

Last edited:
Question...I see the batteries for said copter are $185....see them advertised on amazon for $125. The cheaper battery has the same specs as the high priced battery. Also, found a battery charger for a reduced price as well. Am I going to run into trouble with purchasing the less expensive batteries and/or battery charger?
There are DJI batteries and there are 3rd party batteries which are often advertised as "for DJI".
If you are seeing batteries for significantly lower prices, they are going to be knockoffs.
The drone already comes with a battery charger ... do you need a second one?
What about filters for camera...have found 3 and 6 filters to a packette....do I need all six or will 3 suffice? Kinda expensive but want to do the right thing coming out of the gate. Does anybody use blades that are not DJI blades? They are cheaper but do they work ok?
Don't get sucked in by thinking you need every accessory that's out there.
Try flying first and work out which accessories do something that you really need and which ones you might actually use.

well...I went and done it!!! Ordered a Phantom 4 vs.2 just now from B&H. Real excited about getting it and working with it. Appears I will be spending some time on the flight simulator first.

Only thing I regret is after my investigations about these DJI drones it appears the Phantom 4 vs. 2 does not provide "time lapsing" whereas the other copter did....oh well.

Have several grandkids that are gonna fall head over heels when they see this thing!!!!

Thanks to those who reply to this.....information you share will drastically help this newbie out!!

One other thing...I ordered protectors for the blades and a 3 port charging base for the 2 batteries that I am getting. Getting the batteries and charging base from amazon. Will wait and hear what you fellas have to say about the batteries and charging base before I order from Amazon!

Good time to order....I am getting the same emotional feelings like when I was a kid and waiting for Xmas!!!LOL

God Bless!!!

Do not buy after market/non DJI batteries or blades. You don't want your expensive quad up in the air with inferior products. The props and batteries are what keep it up.

Additionally, i don't think there's a need to rush and buy all the accessories. If you have money to burn then go ahead but if you think you still need practice flying then just hold off. Master getting better at flying first. No expensive accessories will make your videos good if you're not a good pilot. Good luck to you.

God Bless!!!
Good drone, good choice. The first accessory you should buy is a long red ribbon to tie to your gimbal guard. The ribbon will help you remember to remove the guard before starting your phantom each time you take it out of the box. Those gimbal motors can only take so much strain. Ask me how I know.

Good drone, good choice. The first accessory you should buy is a long red ribbon to tie to your gimbal guard. The ribbon will help you remember to remove the guard before starting your phantom each time you take it out of the box. Those gimbal motors can only take so much strain. Ask me how I know.
Valid point....will do that first thing.

thanks!

Reactions: Mavikhan
Insofar as going out and buying things....

the copter will come with 1 battery. I assume it will fly for app. 25 minutes. Since it takes up to an hr and 20 minutes to charge each battery....it necessitates either waiting for the charge or buying other (2) batteries.

I am a amateur photography and know the importance of filters....will wait on those but will more than likely get a dfi multiple charging system.

Have a hand held ( battery recharging) system that I can take to the field that offers a 120v charge receptacle. The way I see it, I will get 3 runs with the charged batteries AND a fourth run from charging up the first battery. I am hoping for an hour 1/2 flight time all together.

thank you all for the helpful insight!!

Definitely get more batteries, especially if you want to be in the air for 1 1/2 hrs. As far as how many minutes on 1 fully charged battery, quite a few variables involved with that answer. I fly P3P’s and I have 15 batteries that I rotate with. Not saying you need that many but I recommend 3-4. A spare set of blades also.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31