Purchase time: Phantom 3 Advanced or Phantom 3 Professional

Reaction score
I dont have a 4K tv and I am relatively new to the quadcopter scene, a few months of flying to be exact. Is P3A a better purchase than P3P considering I will likely upgrade to the next upgrades after a year or so? apart from 4K what is the advantage that people have seen if you guys have used both. how much better is the 1080p footage on a 4K and is it worth the extra cost?

thanks

Unless you can view & process 4k don't bother.

4k is better quality but takes a high end computer to edit and a much longer upload time if you plan on sharing.

I decided on the advanced myself in the end as could not really see the benefit of 4k for me.

I have the found the advance to give super video quality as well.

The only other difference is the battery charger is slightly quicker in charging.

I do notice that will be available as a spare part soon and i may buy one.

especially if you're planning to follow the DJI release cycle and re-up every year.

Reactions: hot dog
I got the phantom pro. 4K converts to better looking 1080P. Charger is beefier. Resale value probably higher. If it's just 1080P, save the money and go with the advanced.

if you ever decided to upgrade the camera, you probably could get something for the advanced camera with all the crashes happening lately

Last edited:
I dont have a 4K tv and I am relatively new to the quadcopter scene, a few months of flying to be exact. Is P3A a better purchase than P3P considering I will likely upgrade to the next upgrades after a year or so? apart from 4K what is the advantage that people have seen if you guys have used both. how much better is the 1080p footage on a 4K and is it worth the extra cost?

thanks

If you search the forum this has been asked many times and there are arguments for both. Apart from the 4k camera the professional also has a faster charger. I went with the Advanced as I'm not convinced about the benefits of 4K at the moment and saved the money to spend on an extra battery and backpack.

4k will definitely give you a better picture, even if it is down scaled to 1080p but if you shoot straight 1080p on the 4K camera it will look identical. As robinb also pointed out 4k files take longer to process and upload and obviously take up more room on the SD card. Finally I researched 4K TV's and discovered that if you sit 10 to 15 feet away from one it would have to be over 80" to see a difference between 4K and 1080P.

Although there's plenty of people who have bought the Pro I do wonder how many actually shoot in 4K

I have the pro and never film in 4k. My 2011 Mac mini can't handle it. I'm sticking with 1080 until I upgrade the Mac, which probably won't happen until after my P4 arrives. Lol

I have excellent PC desktop and laptop, no question 4K for me. You don't need to have a 4K TV to get the benefits of 2160P. Just watch one of the many Youtube uploads if you need proof.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic