Props

M

Melvoid

I know there's a lot of conversation about props, but I waded through what I could find and didn't get much. After about 7 years of flying two different models (P1 and P3), I had my first real crash today. Hit a thin bare branch that I couldn't see, flipped the 'copter, and it hit the ground inverted. Happily, it seems the only thing wrong was two props broke. I replaced them with my spares, but now I don't have a full set of spares, so...

... I looked for replacements and found all kinds of cool stuff. I know lots of people have warned against aftermarket, and carbon fiber, and 3-bladed props, but I saw DJI brand Carbon Fiber props, supposedly for the Phantom 3. Any opinions on these? I ordered the standard ones for now, but I'm thinking that if DJI makes them and says they're for this model, how are they? I'm thinking the black props might look cool if nothing else.

I had a set of the dji black cf blades,they worked just fine. Just make sure that they are from dji.
The best props I use now on my P3P’s are the Zoar beechwood props. They are a bit spendy, but are very well balanced and a Lot quieter. They do have a metal hub so you need to make sure they are tight. Been using them for well over a year on multiple P3Ps and never needed to rebalance and never had one spin off, even when doing high speed braking.

The black carbon are just fine. I use them on my P3A. No problems and looks cool for sure.

I don't have any experience with the carbon fiber props except what I've read here over the years. My take-away is they're stiffer and more likely to shatter if they contact anything. Some people have said they make a 'sharper' sounding noise, and some say because of the stiffness the bird is more responsive.

OTOH, if you just want cool looking black props, dye some white ones... works well. I used RIT liquid to dye 4 OEM props Navy Blue, still have them and they still work fine. Been thinking about dying some with a mix of burnt orange and a touch of brown for a 'wood look'...

I have no complaints with the original props, so I do think one of the main attractions for the carbon ones is the look. Of course, they were also over 2x as much $$. I just need to have a spare set on hand, mainly.

Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: KachemakDiver

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31