After normal flights, have you found cracks or considerable deformations on your propellers?

• No

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • Yes - After 50 flights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - After 100 flights

• Yes - After 1 year

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi there fellow Phantom pilots.

In a thread posted by DJI titled "Top Ten Common Mistakes Phantom Pilots Make", they included the following statement: -"We suggest changing propellers every 50 flights, and a set of propellers should not be used for more than 100 flights. If you haven’t used a set of propellers for more than 50 flights, but they’re over a year old, still change them, as the threads will degrade over time from exposure to air."-

I've asked why the recommended replacement interval is based on the number of flights, as opposed to cumulative flight time. Considering that the alluded life-limited condition of the props would be tied to potential material fatigue, which is paced by the duration and intensity of the stress they are subjected to; and that "a flight" is currently recorded as anything from just firing up the motors on the ground or hovering for a minute, up to 20 minutes of intensive flying maneuvers over several miles; it seems the actual flight time (which is also recorded) should be the metric used for the recommended intervals, with a tolerance range depending on individual mission profiles (i.e. aggressive flying/braking vs. hovering or smooth movements).

Also, the recommendation of replacing the props after one year, regardless of the number of accumulated flights/flight time, is even more puzzling. It seems highly unlikely that the materials that these props are made of would be prone to considerable decay over just 12 months, providing of course they are stored properly. Air alone doesn't erode plastic or carbon fiber.

So I'm posting the poll at the top of this thread to get a sense of everyone's experience with the props over time, excluding of course after crashing or having a prop-strike.

Any comments and experiences will be most appreciated!

In a thread posted by DJI titled "Top Ten Common Mistakes Phantom Pilots Make", they included the following statement: -"We suggest changing propellers every 50 flights, and a set of propellers should not be used for more than 100 flights. If you haven’t used a set of propellers for more than 50 flights, but they’re over a year old, still change them, as the threads will degrade over time from exposure to air."-

Also, the recommendation of replacing the props after one year, regardless of the number of accumulated flights/flight time, is even more puzzling. It seems highly unlikely that the materials that these props are made of would be prone to considerable decay over just 12 months, providing of course they are stored properly. Air alone doesn't erode plastic or carbon fiber.
I think the problem here is that you've accepted what was in that DJI forum post.
There are a number of inaccuracies in it and it looks like some is guesswork on the part of whoever made it.
If it was important to swap props, DJI would have made this clear in the manual - but they didn't.
Experience of many fliers has shown that the stock props will last a long time and many more flights that the post you refer to suggests.

Reactions: Loz and N017RW
I think the problem here is that you've accepted what was in that DJI forum post.
There are a number of inaccuracies in it and it looks like some is guesswork on the part of whoever made it.
If it was important to swap props, DJI would have made this clear in the manual - but they didn't.
Experience of many fliers has shown that the stock props will last a long time and many more flights that the post you refer to suggests.

Thanks for the feedback.

It is worth noting that the thread in question was posted by a DJI moderator at the DJI official forum, so accurate or not it is information being posted by the OEM.

It is only because of it, and the fact that I do not agree with the mentioned replacement intervals (or at least with the rationale being stated) that I consider worth raising the questions. Indeed, if the props are to be life-limited parts, their inspection/replacement schedule should be prominently included in the manuals.

So if anything I hope the DJI moderator realizes that they produce aircraft, and as such, claiming that a critical component is time-limited should be substantiated and properly reflected in the technical publications.

It is worth noting that the thread in question was posted by a DJI moderator at the DJI official forum, so accurate or not it is information being posted by the OEM.

So if anything I hope the DJI moderator realizes that they produce aircraft, and as such, claiming that a critical component is time-limited should be substantiated and properly reflected in the technical publications.
Unfortunately the DJI forum and the moderators are very unreliable sources for accurate information.
They are about as authoritative as DJI online help (ask three people there and get three different answers)

Looking for additional feedback. Has anyone seen cracks on propellers that have not been involved in a crash?

Hi there fellow Phantom pilots.

as the threads will degrade over time from exposure to air."-

Exposure to Air? Seriously?!? What am I supposed to do with new, yet to be used props, keep them in a vacuum?

Plastic doesn't degrade in air..... let it sit in UV radiation (sun) and I'll believe they would need replacing. But who stores there phantom on there patio? [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have my original blades on my P3A, bought it when it was first released... No problems so far, looking at them now, I do notice 1 or 2 very small chips and some scratches on the blades, probably from the bugs and dust in the air.... I think I will be tossing them out...

I have the original four props on my 3A so they're all 12 months old with >200 flights. Apart from bug splat stains and a few other scuff marks, they're appear to be fine. However, UV does have a detrimental effect on plastics, so I decided this week to change them; at £10 for four, it's better to be safe than sorry...

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I have 28hrs (163 flights) and 7 months accumulated with the first set of 4 props on my P3A. I've always wiped and inspected them before and after flying, and so far they look as good as new.

It is indeed better to be safe than sorry, and not worth risking causing harm or damage, plus losing an $800 device, over a $12 prop set. Which is why it is critical (DJI...) to establish a rational inspection and replacement schedule.

2 yo props on my P2nv.
Short of trauma they will outlast many other components on a Phantom.

I answered the poll, but I haven't flown enough flights to really qualify.
Time in flight is more of the issue than number of times in flight since as it was mentioned, UV will degrade plastic, and few of us fly all the time in the dark or indoors but rather in open sunny days.
If the props can be made snug before flight then they probably won't become loose.

Looking for additional feedback. Has anyone seen cracks on propellers that have not been involved in a crash?

Nope, I fly a P3A and P3P - both with Carbon-fibre props, ~ 9 months, both sets still in excellent condition.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31