Propeller guards

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a newbie drone pilot and should take delivery of my P3A tomorrow (Like a kid waiting for Christmas morning again!). I have seen some P3s with propeller guards and wondered how effective these really are and are they recommended for new pilots please?

I also wondered whether the negatively impact on the flight of the drone with the extra weight (albeit very small) and the string that goes around them.

Many thanks in anticipation.

I have prop guards too. But not no strings up. Strings r nice to help keeping the branches of the trees from getting behind or snagging the side of the prop guards. It's good if u live in the area, or filming in a area, where there is a lot of trees. I have just got them for myself, flew with them a few times, but don't have that many hours with them, or consider not an experience with them. Maybe someone can give us his/her opinion.

Guards do make for a safer flight near the ground, especially for new pilots. The added weight (around 4 oz.) does reduce flying time although not by much. More of an issue is the wind resistance they create. But for close and low fights they do help by protecting your expensive baby. Even a brush with a branch or other object could bring the drone down and ruin your day and your drone. I use removable guards so when I'm flying farther out and high, it doesn't have the weight or wind resistance of the guards. When It's low and around/through objects it has the added protection needed.

Reactions: charlieb4
Hi All,

I am a newbie drone pilot and should take delivery of my P3A tomorrow (Like a kid waiting for Christmas morning again!). I have seen some P3s with propeller guards and wondered how effective these really are and are they recommended for new pilots please?

I also wondered whether the negatively impact on the flight of the drone with the extra weight (albeit very small) and the string that goes around them.

Aside from the info already given, check out these search results for 100+ other posts that may help you decide.

Also, if you are interested click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Good luck and happy new year!

Hi All,

I also have the 3A and about 2 years ago when I got mine I put them on but not that silly string. Read up on it as in some scenario, probably taking them back off, the longer screws, if used, rather than the factory ones, will damage your motors.

I can not tell any difference in performance or other flight characteristics, though I did not fly mine long before I put them on, so do not have a lot of time to compare them to.

Had mine for over a year. Use them in and around trees. Don’t change the flight or time. If you get the set the has red and white guards it helps when flying with visual orientation.

Reactions: Tancho321
That's great. Thank you all for your help. For the cost I think it makes sense to protect the New investment! Just had text to say it should be delivered in the next hour! I am driving my other half crazy!

That's great. Thank you all for your help. For the cost I think it makes sense to protect the New investment! Just had text to say it should be delivered in the next hour! I am driving my other half crazy!
They didn't tell you?.... all Phantom deliveries have been stopped. The government stepped in and proclaimed no further fun shall be had.

They didn't tell you?.... all Phantom deliveries have been stopped. The government stepped in and proclaimed no further fun shall be had.
Noooooooooo!!! [emoji6] Fortunately it has all arrived safely. Just got to find some videos on how to set it up and update firmware etc. Won't be flying today as raining heavily and the wind is gusting.

A much more effective protection for your Phantom is to choose a flying area well away from trees and obstacles.
When there's nothing to hit, it's hard to get into trouble.

Reactions: Motlock
Noooooooooo!!! [emoji6] Fortunately it has all arrived safely. Just got to find some videos on how to set it up and update firmware etc. Won't be flying today as raining heavily and the wind is gusting.
If I were you, I would try to fly it straight out of the box (after having read all the flight manual from cover to cover, of course, several times). :)

http://download.dji-innovations.com...en/Phantom_3_Advanced_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf

Phantom 3 Advanced - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI

That way you'll know if any problems existed on delivery, as opposed to being caused by something you have done. Make a note of the various firmware/software versions that you are using as well.

(This advice and more is contained in Oso's tips link in post #4. I suggest you read it - it's all good advice)

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
Guards do make for a safer flight near the ground, especially for new pilots. The added weight (around 4 oz.) does reduce flying time although not by much. More of an issue is the wind resistance they create. But for close and low fights they do help by protecting your expensive baby. Even a brush with a branch or other object could bring the drone down and ruin your day and your drone. I use removable guards so when I'm flying farther out and high, it doesn't have the weight or wind resistance of the guards. When It's low and around/through objects it has the added protection needed.
Do you have a feel for the flight time reduction? It should be a hair over two minutes based on payload effect on flight time tests some users have performed.

Do you have a feel for the flight time reduction? It should be a hair over two minutes based on payload effect on flight time tests some users have performed.
No, I usually never fly a battery all the way out. But I have noticed a drastic affect with wind resistance between the two modes. Logic dictates that besides the increased weight ( I weighed a full set of snap on/off guards including the bolts on a digital scale 4.71 oz if I remember correctly) and increased surfaces that this will indeed shorten the flight. However, if the flight only is low and slow, then the reduction in flight time would be fairly minimal. Your 2 minute estimation would seem to be in the park... so to say.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20