Prop replacement

Reaction score
What kind of props to you guys recommend for replacement other than the original DJI ones? Just curious if there are any better ones out there in the market!

What kind of props to you guys recommend for replacement other than the original DJI ones? Just curious if there are any better ones out there in the market!

This is a very common sentiment... that you can bolt-on performance improvements. But you can’t.

This is a fly-by-wire device in which the flight characteristics are governed by the master controller. In addition, DJI has tuned the propulsion system to work with the components it was designed with to create a very stable flying camera platform.

Don’t worry about trying to squeeze out more performance and focus on the photography where you have the creativity and most significant impact.

Just curious if there are any better ones out there in the market!
I have yet to see 3rd party props that work better than OEM DJI props. If you want to use props that are guaranteed to work well, then stick with OEM DJI props.

Okay I was just wondering if maybe they made one that has same performance but slightly quieter.

Okay I was just wondering if maybe they made one that has same performance but slightly quieter.
I invested in a prop balancer for a quieter ride. The DJI props come fairly well balanced from the factory but a little fine tuning reduced the high-pitch shrill I was hearing.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I invested in a prop balancer for a quieter ride. The DJI props come fairly well balanced from the factory but a little fine tuning reduced the high-pitch shrill I was hearing.

Do you have a link to the prop balancer?

Do you have a link to the prop balancer?
The Du-Bro model that comes with the correct prop balancing rod for the P3 is available here on Amazon.

The Speedy TM prop balancer works well too. I like this prop balancer better since it doesn't come with a bunch of pieces that need to be assembled (like the above Du-Bro prop balancer).

Last edited:
+1 on the OEM props. I have only had 2 props so far from DJI that were very unbalanced. As msinger mentioned get the Du-Bro, it works great.

The Du-Bro model that comes with the correct prop balancing rod for the P3 is available here on Amazon.

The Speedy TM prop balancer works well too. I like this prop balancer better since it doesn't come with a bunch of pieces that need to be assembled (like the above Du-Bro prop balancer).

Awesome! Now I’ve never balanced a prop before so is there a specific way any of you suggest for best results.

Here's an example showing how to balance props:

I like to place a piece of clear Scotch tape on the underside of the props that need to be adjusted.

I have noticed poor flight stability when using 3rd party props which on further inspection were poorly made. DJI props are pretty good out of the box. Anyone got experience with their carbon fibre propellers?

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
This guy spins them tight.....Im my book that's wrong....He sure should snug them down and use the Dji prop tightener took and run them tight and use the Dji tool to slightly "snug" THEM TIGHT ! After all.......IF you lose a prop in flight ...that quad will fall from the sky....when you decelerate the motors / props the props are subject to >"reversed"< aerodynamic forces that loosen them....! Correct me If i'm wrong !

Last edited:
This guy spins them tight.....Im my book that's wrong....He sure should snug them down and use the Dji prop tightener took
I spin the props on until they stop freely spinning. Then, I hold the motor with one hand and turn the prop 1/8 - 1/4 a turn with the other hand.

This guy spins them tight.....Im my book that's wrong....He sure should snug them down and use the Dji prop tightener took and run them tight and use the Dji tool to slightly "snug" THEM TIGHT ! ... Correct me If i'm wrong !

My understanding is that the correct way to snug up the props is the way msinger posted above. The wrench which DJI included is to be used to loosen the props, not to tighten. That's because there is a danger of over-torque and damage to the threads if you over-tighten with the wrench. This is not documented anywhere that I've seen, but the evidence is implied because the P2 series was advertised as "spin-on" self-tightening props - no snug needed. And yet, a wrench was included.

The proper procedure is to loosen and then tighten each prop after each flight. Use the wrench if needed to loosen. Use your fingers to tighten.

The video above, which I remember from 3 summers ago, was posted in 2014 in the metal hub P2 series days. Spinning on the props was recommended by DJI back then...

Not recommended and not a good idea with the more modern composite hubs or the P3 series with the braking action. In fact, I wouldn't do it anyway, even on a P2 with metal hubs. I would snug 'em up. And I would loosen and snug after each and every flight - no exceptions.

Last edited:
The video above, which I remember from 3 summers ago, was posted in 2014 in the metal hub P2 series days. Spinning on the props was recommended by DJI back then...

Not recommended and not a good idea with the more modern composite hubs or the P3 series with the braking action. In fact, I wouldn't do it anyway, even on a P2 with metal hubs. I would snug 'em up.
Mark...... Then its pretty misleading then in many ways..especially the drill bit cleaning up the threads (metal) it should say This is Only recommended for the P2 series type props and like you typed....You would Not do it any way !..Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl