Prop Guards???

Here are the best prop guards money can buy. Use this inside the house. When you stop crashing into things with it, you will just about never hit anything outside the house with a phantom.
hubsan-rcdronearena.jpg

I also have small quad copters, they are listed in my forum signature.
Ah, but my favourite teacher is still www.realflight.com
For learning and to practice your flying, without remorse. ;-)
Any time, any weather. Want to fly upside down, stand on your head. Hahaha
They even brought out a Drone Version. Get real, eh? ;-)

RedHotPoker

I have to differ with never using them again. If you find yourself flying in an environment with possible targets, then their use may be well worth it. Targets meaning things you do not want to hit with the blades themselves. God forbid a person.

I use them but pretty new at this. I have flown without them, no real difference.The Phantom is so steady I can't imagine these things having much if any effect in flight unless you would be upset flying 34 mph vs 36 mph for example,(made up the numbers)

I use them but pretty new at this. I have flown without them, no real difference.The Phantom is so steady I can't imagine these things having much if any effect in flight unless you would be upset flying 34 mph vs 36 mph for example,(made up the numbers)

The performance I speak about is not the speed of the aircraft. I could care less about that I fly like an old granny anyway right now. What I don't want is to attach something that makes a crash more likely. I have read some pretty compelling posts on here that indicate that the placement of the guards can make the aircraft unstable and potentially cause it to flip (crash). I want no part of flying mine upside down. I want no part of any attachment that makes that more likely.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
The performance I speak about is not the speed of the aircraft. I could care less about that I fly like an old granny anyway right now. What I don't want is to attach something that makes a crash more likely. I have read some pretty compelling posts on here that indicate that the placement of the guards can make the aircraft unstable and potentially cause it to flip (crash). I want no part of flying mine upside down. I want no part of any attachment that makes that more likely.
The guards are stable, it's the op's or landing areas that aren't. As far as using them when there are obstacles??? lol. Why would it be in the air when obstacles are present. Maybe you will help save some birds pride but they are put on for that extra measure of safety. The prop guards are a choice, not a requirement. The pro is that it adds strength to the mounts but is that a reason to use them? The con is that many cases aren't made for the guards and they do take up a lot of space.

I have 3 Phantoms. My first, I have pro guards on. The other two....no guards. My Phantom with guards flys just fine but they do add some weight. So many here make all these claims . What a load of crap. People speak without actual testing results most of the time. Do guards shorten flight time..are they more of a drag on flying, Yes. Are they evil and will make you crash...No. They make the quad easier to see, they protect props and people. ...but at a price. It's fun to climb a wall with a quad with guards. I have no reason to remove the guards from my first Phantom. I have 3 as I said. One Phantom has gimbal and camera so weight is an important factor. The other 2 do not have guards. Not because of any problems...too lazy to put them on. Oh yeah, I can fly with or without. Ain't no thang.

I am completely new to this scene. I have a grand total of 4 flights under my belt so I know only what I read and see. You say it's a load of crap. Ok, there are a bunch of folks that say to be careful because the guards create a Vortex Ring State (VRS). Guy crashed last week... VRS... had guards on... I'm not saying the guards were the cause or that the guards do or do not cause VRS. I am saying read up on it and make your own choice.

To totally disregard that the guards could effect the way the aircraft flies is to deny physics.

For a newbie I recommend that you use them in the beginning. I have seen people land and had them tip over and saved the props. But once you feel comfortable in flying and landing ditch them. I hand catch my p3A every time.

I am completely new to this scene. I have a grand total of 4 flights under my belt so I know only what I read and see. You say it's a load of crap. Ok, there are a bunch of folks that say to be careful because the guards create a Vortex Ring State (VRS). Guy crashed last week... VRS... had guards on... I'm not saying the guards were the cause or that the guards do or do not cause VRS. I am saying read up on it and make your own choice.

To totally disregard that the guards could effect the way the aircraft flies is to deny physics.
I didn't say disregard anything. . Of course they can make a difference. What needs to be disregarded are the ones that have no testing or proof...they just want to duplicate what someone else said and try to sound smart. Try it for yourself and make your judgement. That's what I did.

I can say for me as a newbie I think the best thing I did was to fly a mini quad. Only took about 3 weeks of practice before I was good enough with it to fly with confidence indoors. Can say it is a breeze to fly the P3 after flying the mini.

. What needs to be disregarded are the ones that have no testing or proof...they just want to duplicate what someone else said and try to sound smart. Try it for yourself and make your judgement.

Fair enough. Cheers!

I can say for me as a newbie I think the best thing I did was to fly a mini quad. Only took about 3 weeks of practice before I was good enough with it to fly with confidence indoors. Can say it is a breeze to fly the P3 after flying the mini.
I also think the Phantoms are easier to fly than cheaper quads but there is so much more to know with more sophisticated quads. The cheap quads will teach you to learn your reflexes in controlling one. You have to get your mind and hands working together. I think many panic and lose control and crash. Gotta get past that point. .

I only use the guards when I have to do an indoor shoot, always with a controlled environment, other than that, never. Guards saved me once from tearing up some wallpaper in a hallway.

Reactions: alokbhargava
i bought the summit ones off amazon, i flew with them once, that was it. I did't like them and have not flown with them since.

They might be helpful in flip-overs and flying close to walls or trees. Other than that they degrade performance in windy conditions and interfere with the camera when moving forward with speed.
As someone else said, props are cheap and should be changed in any type of collision.

Prior to purchasing my Phantom 3 I bought and flew several toy quadcopters. And after I became somewhat proficient with them I always removed the prop guards...Sometimes with a saw!

If you use the phantom as intended I dont see much point in using prop guards, I have other smaller quads to fly indoors that are much more fun in that environment. Same with the arm stickers on the Phantom, 99% of the time when flying it is much higher than me, cant see the arm stickers so cant use them for orientation, dont need to anyway as I have the camera, the position indicator, and the arm lights

Hi there - I'm pretty new to this but I do have prop guards fitted and I'm pretty glad I do.
I've had a few near misses and crashes landing and taking off etc. - all the usual stuff and I've been glad of the extra protection.
Also I am teaching my kids to fly and like to give other friends a go as well so my P3S is constantly being piloted by newbies, who get muddled about direction and fly into trees etc. so all that adds up to prop guards in my mind.
Yes sometimes they get in shot, but so would the props in that case. You just have to learn how to frame them out.

Also I like the fact that it means I can transport my P3S fully ready to fly with props on etc.
I store and transport it in a large printer box and it comes out ready to fly in seconds which is great for impatient kids etc.

Not had ANY issues with flying with prop guards - I'm aware of the vortex stuff and try not to fly straight down.
Also I'm sure they do add a little extra weight but not that much.
I also hand catch now on landing but especially if I'm asking my kids to hand catch I'm glad of the guards between the rotors and their fingers, just in case something goes wrong.

So take your pick but don't rule them out as they have their place.

Dave

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik