Prop Guards???

Reaction score
Prop Guards???

Do they effect performance?

Just taken delivery of my new P3P, it came with non attached prop guards; however if they are fitted do they have an adverse aerodynamic and performance penalty?

Many thanks.

Prop Guards???

Just taken delivery of my new P3P, it came with non attached prop guards; however if they are fitted do they have an adverse aerodynamic and performance penalty?

Many thanks.
They must have performance penalties.

I bought some with my P3 but have never used them. Realized pretty quick they were not necessary since I wasn't going to do any indoor flying. Also I have not wanted to mess with the factory-set screws and introduce any issues.

I would suggest that all new fliers use prop guards until they get comfortable flying their drone. While you are learning they will not bother you and maybe save some broken props.
Agreed. I didn't use prop guards on my first flight and it was well... disappointing.

Reactions: khamees1975
I've hand caught since day one, I don't need them. If the bird crashes, new props will go on anyway.

I am contentedly utilizing my DJI branded hardshell backpack for storage and cartage of the Phantom 3 Pro', particularly when on my SpYder RS-S. So even detachable prop guards would be completely inconvenient for my casual flying style. They would just get in the way of the camera lens as well. Ah, As-if seeing the rotor blades when travelling through the air too fast, or making banked turns, wasn't enough inconvenience. No thanks, again.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
I used prop guards do a couple of weeks. They showed up in every video at some point. Like every time I moved or in wind gusts. I too learned to hand catch. I think, my opinion, they are a waste

Prop Guards???

Many thanks.
I would suggest that all new fliers use prop guards until they get comfortable flying their drone. While you are learning they will not bother you and maybe save some broken props.
I am new to the world of drones, and have about a dozen flights. I highly recommend prop guards as well. Pilot error contributed to a near miss when the aircraft took off sideways and landed on its side. prop guards helped minimize damage. The second near miss happened while taking off in high winds off of my case, and it just toppled over before I was able to gain control. As far as seeing the guards in the video, I use iMovie and crop a small portion out of the top of the clip. Voila! That said, at some point I will take off the training wheels.

I am contentedly utilizing my DJI branded hardshell backpack for storage and cartage of the Phantom 3 Pro', particularly when on my SpYder RS-S. So even detachable prop guards would be completely inconvenient for my casual flying style. They would just get in the way of the camera lens as well. Ah, As-if seeing the rotor blades when travelling through the air too fast, or making banked turns, wasn't enough inconvenience. No thanks, again.

RedHotPoker
BTW, it takes 30 seconds to attach or detach all four guard so for me thats a non issue.

If you are beginner, you may use them to get confidence but you won't need them later on.

I'm new. Decided against the guards because I read on here it can effect the flight of the aircraft.

I am new to the world of drones, and have about a dozen flights. I highly recommend prop guards as well. Pilot error contributed to a near miss when the aircraft took off sideways and landed on its side. prop guards helped minimize damage. The second near miss happened while taking off in high winds off of my case, and it just toppled over before I was able to gain control. As far as seeing the guards in the video, I use iMovie and crop a small portion out of the top of the clip. Voila! That said, at some point I will take off the training wheels.

If it's windy make sure you use full throttle on takeoff to avoid tip overs.

Full throttle for all take-offs!! :cool:

Reactions: snowghost
Full throttle for all take-offs!! :cool:

True, you can't go wrong doing that. Although if it's completely calm sometimes I like to do auto takeoff with throttle ready to go full if the bird misbehaves (which it never has).

I think they are a great idea and I bought a set of the DJI guards when I made my initial purchase... That said, with 14 flights to date I have yet to use them for the simple reason that they are not convenient nor do they do not fit in the DJI hard pack that I also acquired with my purchased P3P. I have since ordered a set of the quick release units that I may use... or not time will tell. I don't know if there is a performance penalty but I imagine it would be very slight and not one that I would notice.

I think they are a great idea and I bought a set of the DJI guards when I made my initial purchase... That said, with 14 flights to date I have yet to use them for the simple reason that they are not convenient nor do they do not fit in the DJI hard pack that I also acquired with my purchased P3P. I have since ordered a set of the quick release units that I may use... or not time will tell. I don't know if there is a performance penalty but I imagine it would be very slight and not one that I would notice.
Any added weight will definitely impact on the performance but is it noticeable? Answer is NO to me. I had used prop guards during first few flights. Now I understand birds behavior and I don't use them though I have retained the quick release months on the shells. They are indirectly helping me reduce chances of stress cracks :)

In the beginning, it is wise to use the prop guards to save from damaging your quad. Yes the prop guards do effect flight ability and slows down response and abilities, but is hard to see if your a novice. Just remember to take it slow and easy and not get in any hurry on learning to fly any Phantom or Quad. Remember to do the DJI dance before every flight (compass calibration) and make sure that you properly calibrate the IMU for safe flying.

Reactions: Cassiel
i bought a set of prop guards when i bought my Phantom Vision.
yes that was a long time ago.
i never attached them to the vision and i never used them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4