Prop dyeing question

Hey Fat Daddy pls post which dyes, post a pic or packet UPC code etc.

Looks great !

Edit: C'mon man, people are just DYEING to know!

:rolleyes:

Here's what I used. Keeping the dye and water hot helped speed the process.

89cc31cbd7b40be1c5083218597ecaf7.jpg

For me anyway, as the temp of the water came down, the longer it took to absorb the color. By my 3rd set of props I heated the pot up again to almost boiling. I did this with the props in the pot. Once it was very hot again I could notice the color absorbing better.
I did mine for about 30-45 minutes.
The first set I did, when I took them out and they dried, I noticed around the hub was not as black. I just dropped them back in for another 20 minute bath :)
I think you will find as long as you are using very hot water there is no need to have them soak over night.
But, you can if you want :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have no idea if there is any metal reenforcement in them. I just did it stove top. I would be worried about subjecting the. Props to microwave waves. I have no idea if it would have any effect but I don't want to be the one to find out... lol

Other than heavy wind you won't notice a difference. It has saved me. I side swiped a shrub screwing around and it flipped, hit the found. No damage anywhere other then the prop hubs (threw those props out). With out the guards the phantom arms would have had noticeable damage/scratches.
I put them on now if I am going to be flying close trees (through them) or if flying in high wind that could push me into things (even though it is said to effect the flight the most in wind). I never notice a difference.

I really would like to see an image of the user that dyed his TX.
I don't want to try it before I know if it will work or not. Others have said they think he used a different dye to do the TX or body.

Maybe I will just wait and get the TX hydrodipped as well :)

Hope Procharged97 doesn't mind but I stole his idea. Used 3M tape today and dyed my props. Weather sucks and couldn't fly.

0ed60d941a183b4fb265cfe4c44668d9.jpg

2f06f2d33de2474dd97468b847b5385c.jpg
I like how the black turned out. I have a skin that looks like a shark mouth aircraft and want to do black props with yellow tips. Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: MasterBlaster
Thx for that. Was any agitation or moving parts around required? How long was the total soak?

Any reason not to start the process and leave overnight?

My very scientific process went like this. Drink two beers while reading about others doing dye projects. Start project (beer #3). Use take-out chopsticks to move props around and when added to water with dye. Keep water/dye mixture warm enough that it produces steam. Pull out a prop, look like or see if I like it. If I like it, it get rinsed and dried. If not, back in the pot and I open a new beer. Sorry. Didn't really time the project.

Last edited:
One recommendation - I noted when my first set dried that around the hub was not taking as well (where the blade meets the hub). I also noticed this on some pics of others. I put mine back in for another 20/30 minutes to make sure around the hub was just as dyed. Just keep an eye on that area. If your like me, that would have drove me crazy seeing that small area not the same color every time I flew with them.
Just my advice :)

Reactions: EddieM
Thx again.

Ya I'm absolutely still mulling the idea of a hydro-dip, but my objective is stealth not bling.

I am kinda curious why your need is stealth? The thing sounds like a horde of pissed off hornets so getting the thing into stealth mode is gonna be a challenge.

Paint the top a camo appropriate to the are you fly in (grey/brown/green). Paint the bottom a washed out baby pink (google it).

I am kinda curious why your need is stealth? The thing sounds like a horde of pissed off hornets so getting the thing into stealth mode is gonna be a challenge.

Paint the top a camo appropriate to the are you fly in (grey/brown/green). Paint the bottom a washed out baby pink (google it).

Okay, why the baby pink bottom? I was going to do mine in camos colors too until I realized I fly mostly nears woods so losing it is bad enough but at least its easier to see the white, camo it & forget it, wont be easy to see.

I wonder what color for the bottom is easiest to see on a normal partly cloudy day. I thought I'd seen that others said darker colors like black or flour. orange was good. I'm going back & forth between a blue & gold shell or a dk blue bottom & orange top. I do some SAR work with it, so I need to be able to see it sometimes, plus my eyes are getting old.
I've also debated getting the Vufine glasses to go with it, sort of like google glasses but no built in camera so I can still LOS it but also see what my screen is seeing without looking down.

If you are high enough to not hear it, its out of gunfire range for the average idiot trying to shoot it down. For me, I could shoot it down from higher than its legal for you to fly it. Easily. I, however, am not stupid enough to risk having a $10k Barrett being confiscated and having a felony on my record for shooting it in town. Even at 100' I can hear the drone quite clearly. At 200' I can hear it if I am in a quiet area. About 300' and I can't easily hear it at all and if I didn't see it I wouldn't be able to focus to hear it either.

I don't fly mine where people would want to shoot at it. I leave mine white. I wanted the orange or green (day-glow/florescent) dye on the props so that it was MORE visible, not less. Especially in the winter where if it comes down, white on white snow is going to be a PITA to see.

If you are high enough to not hear it, its out of gunfire range for the average idiot trying to shoot it down. For me, I could shoot it down from higher than its legal for you to fly it. Easily. I, however, am not stupid enough to risk having a $10k Barrett being confiscated and having a felony on my record for shooting it in town. Even at 100' I can hear the drone quite clearly. At 200' I can hear it if I am in a quiet area. About 300' and I can't easily hear it at all and if I didn't see it I wouldn't be able to focus to hear it either.

I don't fly mine where people would want to shoot at it. I leave mine white. I wanted the orange or green (day-glow/florescent) dye on the props so that it was MORE visible, not less. Especially in the winter where if it comes down, white on white snow is going to be a PITA to see.

This post made me laugh.

Thanks for the laugh tho. The ego is strong within you!

This post made me laugh.
Enjoy

Thats 600yd. 900'. Shooting an index card steel target. We also have done moving targets at that range and I am able to hit them repeatedly.

Max alt you are supposed to be at is 400' which is 133yd. I zero my scope at on the Barrett at 100yd. Sorry, but if I can see it, odds are I can hit it.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddieM

This is where I roll my eyes and chuckle, again.

Enjoy your videos. I'm just going to assume you're a wanna be military man or if you are in our armed forces you're... well there is a whole book of words that would perfectly define you based on your presentation.

Now just hang a target below the phantom...that will be a fun time

Reactions: Wolfiesden

I remember seeing this somewhere.. but the folk used paintball guns and some paper target thing hanging low. I'll need to find the video and post up. Looked like a lot of fun.

I could have hit it more than them tho, with my .177 bb gun under 7 pumps and iron sights

This is where I roll my eyes and chuckle, again.

Enjoy your videos. I'm just going to assume you're a wanna be military man or if you are in our armed forces you're... well there is a whole book of words that would perfectly define you based on your presentation.
Not a military nor wannabe. Just a hobby shooter who excels at what I do. Dad, however, was on the USAF team and was a rifle instructor at the USAF base where I grew up.

I have already built a rig to suspend a target below the drone. I have not yet taken it to the range. Weekends are busy right now with granddaughter's soccer tournaments.

I remember seeing this somewhere.. but the folk used paintball guns and some paper target thing hanging low. I'll need to find the video and post up. Looked like a lot of fun.

I could have hit it more than them tho, with my .177 bb gun under 7 pumps and iron sights

Hmm, paintball could be fun too. But they aren't very accurate at range from what I hear. I don't own a paintball gun so I can't say for sure.

That is awesome. I have a pcp .22 air rifle that me and my son use in the yard...really accurate at the distance we shoot our targets...i used to mount a target above my rc rock crawler for a moving target..was really fun

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues