Proof the FAA is watching our YouTube videos - and how to check

M

MinnesotaKyle

Noticed something interesting but not at all surprising that the FAA has been watching my YouTube channel. Now i have always practiced what the FAA regulations and guidelines preach, this is just a reminder that what you upload could "incriminate". I have been flying rc heli's planes and quads the last 20 years, I must admit the freedom we once experienced was amazing, I just don't want things to get even more regulated than they already are. It's not that hard to follow their rules!

Reactions: cr6 and 0DRK3RT
This is no surprise to many of us. They are even here on the forum... and not just FAA, but other governmental organizations.

FYI - there is an FAA rule against dropping items from an aircraft so that is probably why they are looking at your video.

Subpart A--General

Sec. 91.15

Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

SOURCE : http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...AD2EBDA6370BB404852566CF0061287A?OpenDocument

Thanks for making and sharing this info Kyle. Sounds like we should be doing some "back room research" on our YouTube channels.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Thanks for making and sharing this info Kyle. Sounds like we should be doing some "back room research" on our YouTube channels.
Yep, sounds like those that like to bend the rules and operate without common sense need to realize that others see these videos. Makes it more difficult to lobby for less restrictive drone guidelines when these vid's show otherwise. Big brother IS watching.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: BigAl07
I experienced this first hand. About a year ago I received a call from the FAA in Little Rock, Arkansas. They had stumbled across my video of a waterfall, in the video below, by doing keyword searches on the net. The gentleman who called me was very courteous and well-meaning. He was able to identify me by name, tracked down where I work, and then realized that I fly for a major aviation company, have my ATP (Airline Transport Pilot) certificate, etc. Although I had done nothing wrong, he wanted to make sure that I knew what I could and couldn't do with my drone. After a conversation of picking his brain a bit, he offered up his e-mail address to which I have corresponded with him several times when I had questions. Point is, they are definitely watching.

Checked my Youtube account. It appears that I'm needing to do something far more dangerous as I'm not getting any FAA or DOT hits. Thinking about the title, "Flying Over Wildfire near and Airport at 10,000' "

Reactions: kennedye
. Now i have always practiced what the FAA regulations and guidelines preach, this is just a reminder that what you upload could "incriminate". I have been flying rc heli's planes and quads the last 20 years, I must admit the freedom we once experienced was amazing, I just don't want things to get even more regulated than they already are. It's not that hard to follow their rules!

Sorry MK, you give yourself far too much credit, but this is hardly PROOF the FAA is monitoring your YouTube channel. It's more likely a quad enthusiast, or beer enthusiast who works for the DOT visited your channel. The fact it sources from an eMail server might imply the visitor clicked on a link to your video in an email. While true, the email MIGHT have been sent from a concerned citizen, maybe from just one drone guy to another as a way to say "Hey, lets get together for a beer after work."

I experienced this first hand. About a year ago I received a call from the FAA in Little Rock, Arkansas. They had stumbled across my video of a waterfall, in the video below, by doing keyword searches on the net. The gentleman who called me was very courteous and well-meaning. He was able to identify me by name, tracked down where I work, and then realized that I fly for a major aviation company, have my ATP (Airline Transport Pilot) certificate, etc. Although I had done nothing wrong, he wanted to make sure that I knew what I could and couldn't do with my drone. After a conversation of picking his brain a bit, he offered up his e-mail address to which I have corresponded with him several times when I had questions. Point is, they are definitely watching.

I also hold ATP and was wondering what the consensus is for people like us who make a living flying airplanes. Are they/will they suspend an airmen certificate if they interpret the operation you're conducting is unsafe? Jeez. Your post just sobered me up a bit.

I also hold ATP and was wondering what the consensus is for people like us who make a living flying airplanes. Are they/will they suspend an airmen certificate if they interpret the operation you're conducting is unsafe? Jeez. Your post just sobered me up a bit.
There are cases of that happening. One was when a commercial pilot flew his drone too close to the Nathan's Hotdog Eating Contest. Completely asinine.

I'm sure you already know this, but his drop was just fine.

My first flight instructor was talking about how he flies to the AR outback to camp, fish and hunt with a buddy ATP. His friend had a fancy contraption you could pee in and clean out later. Sam (my instructor), in his very pronounced Cajun accent, said he just drank him a Gatorade on the early part of the flight - the kind with the big mouth - and then peed in it when he needed to. Then he could simply drop it over the first body of water he passed. No clean up! No mess.

I questioned the legality, and he pointed he just had to make sure there was not injury or damage to person or property. Littering my be a different issue, but he was good with the FAA!

He's the one that also pointed out how stupid those little barf bags you buy from Sporty's are. One gallon, heavy duty, zip log baggies is the way to go. Something they can stick their whole head in. No missing.

I miss Sam.

This is no surprise to many of us. They are even here on the forum... and not just FAA, but other governmental organizations.

FYI - there is an FAA rule against dropping items from an aircraft so that is probably why they are looking at your video.

Subpart A--General

Sec. 91.15

Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

SOURCE : http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...AD2EBDA6370BB404852566CF0061287A?OpenDocument

e's the one that also pointed out how stupid those little barf bags you buy from Sporty's are. One gallon, heavy duty, zip log baggies is the way to go. Something they can stick their whole head in. No missing.

So true! You've not lived until you've been in a small plane with a sick passenger TRYING to hit something the size of a peanut bag with projectile. By the time I landed the plane I was almost as green as she was LOL! Fortunately we had a "few" of those smalls bags in the plane. I think I just gagged a little bit just from the memory LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues