Program landing with Litchi

Reaction score
Is there a way to insert a landing into a programmed flight? For example, I would like to sent the Mavic to my brothers house and have it land in his back yard and drive over later and get it.

Yes. Just set the finish action in Litchi to land, in the waypoint mission options. The other options are: None, RTH, Back to 1, Reverse.

Yes. Just set the finish action in Litchi to land, in the waypoint mission options. The other options are: None, RTH, Back to 1, Reverse.

Unless someone is there to see a safe landing, is that a wise this to do?

Reactions: Pharm
Be sure your first and last waypoints are less than 2000 m apart if it's a one way mission. Otherwise, the mission won't load.

Reactions: DougS
Be sure your first and last waypoints are less than 2000 m apart if it's a one way mission. Otherwise, the mission won't load.
Per the Litchi docs the distance between consecutive waypoints must be between 0.5m and 2000m, not the first and last waypoints.

Per the Litchi docs the distance between consecutive waypoints must be between 0.5m and 2000m, not the first and last waypoints.
That is only true for "round trip" missions. For a ONE WAY mission like the one the OP wants to attempt, the first and last waypoints must also not be greater than 2000 m apart.

I know this because I tried a one way mission greater than that and it wouldn't load. ALL of my waypoints were less than 150 m apart. I wrote Litchi support and they confirmed my suspicion. For one way, the first and last waypoints must be no greater than 2000 m, regardless of the distance between waypoints. I completed the mission by planning it as a round trip instead because it wouldn't load otherwise. After the mission started, I drove to the distant location and when the Phantom got close enough, I took control and landed it (total distance was 2.1 miles (3379.62 m)). It was scary but quite fun. I had programmed a few loops around the "end" (before it started to head home, which I didn't want since I didn't think it'd have enough battery) in case it got there before I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougS and smiller
That is only true for "round trip" missions. For a ONE WAY mission like the one the OP wants to attempt, the first and last waypoints must also not be greater than 2000 m apart.

I know this because I tried a one way mission greater than that and it wouldn't load. ALL of my waypoints were less than 150 m apart. I wrote Litchi support and they confirmed my suspicion. For one way, the first and last waypoints must be no greater than 2000 m, regardless of the distance between waypoints. I completed the mission by planning it as a round trip instead because it wouldn't load otherwise. After the mission started, I drove to the distant location and when the Phantom got close enough, I took control and landed it (total distance was 2.1 miles (3379.62 m)).
Ah, OK. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Pharm
I also forgot to mention: I turned off SmartRTH because I was afraid it would decide on it's own that it didn't have enough battery for the round trip and start heading home at an inopportune moment.

Reactions: DougS
I also forgot to mention: I turned off SmartRTH because I was afraid it would decide on it's own that it didn't have enough battery for the round trip and start heading home at an inopportune moment.

Thanks for that tip. I had been wondering what affect the battery settings (low and critical) have on the Litchi program. I assumed it simply ignored them and continued the flight as programmed, apparently that is not the case.

I know this because I tried a one way mission greater than that and it wouldn't load. ALL of my waypoints were less than 150 m apart. I wrote Litchi support and they confirmed my suspicion. For one way, the first and last waypoints must be no greater than 2000 m, regardless of the distance between waypoints. I completed the mission by planning it as a round trip instead because it wouldn't load otherwise. After the mission started, I drove to the distant location and when the Phantom got close enough, I took control and landed it (total distance was 2.1 miles (3379.62 m)). It was scary but quite fun. I had programmed a few loops around the "end" (before it started to head home, which I didn't want since I didn't think it'd have enough battery) in case it got there before I did.

Thank you also for that info. That is really is quite an odd restriction placed on the flight but you seem to have been able to overcome it. It would make more sense if they did not let you load a flight that was sure to run out of power and create a forced landing situation due to critical battery.

Thank you also for that info. That is really is quite an odd restriction placed on the flight but you seem to have been able to overcome it. It would make more sense if they did not let you load a flight that was sure to run out of power and create a forced landing situation due to critical battery.
I'm pretty sure it's not a Litchi issue per se. The DJI SDK (Software Development Kit) basically places restrictions on what other software manufacturers can do when writing software for their products. It's the same restriction that disallows Litchi from being able to control the gimbal pitch when the AC is not in contact with the RC.

Also, watch the video below. Be sure to read the description below the video. This is where I learned about turning off SmartRTH.

Also, watch the video below. Be sure to read the description below the video. This is where I learned about turning off SmartRTH.

If you are going to break one of the rules (flying out of sight), the last thing anyone would want to do is to put your own evidence online as it will be that video that would go against you. Just my thought, good flight tho.

If you are going to break one of the rules (flying out of sight), the last thing anyone would want to do is to put your own evidence online as it will be that video that would go against you. Just my thought, good flight tho.
Agreed. Just for the record, that's not my video.

The thing that's scary about that technique (well actually there are a lot of potential hazards, but anyway...) is that if for any reason you do not make it to the end point in time the aircraft will return to home (even if RTH is turned off because the mission has to have waypoints back to within 2000 meters of the first waypoint in order to load) and so will run out of battery at some unknown point. I suppose you could program the mission to pause at the recovery waypoint so if it ran out of battery you could at least try to ensure that happens in a known/safe area.

The thing that's scary about that technique (well actually there are a lot of potential hazards, but anyway...) is that if for any reason you do not make it to the end point in time the aircraft will return to home (even if RTH is turned off because the mission has to have waypoints back to within 2000 meters of the first waypoint in order to load) and so will run out of battery at some unknown point. I suppose you could program the mission to pause at the recovery waypoint so if it ran out of battery you could at least try to ensure that happens in a known/safe area.
True. In anticipation of that possibility on my one long-distance, one-way flight, I programmed several loops around the field at the final destination so it WOULD'NT start heading home and land in the dark forest before I got there. When I arrived, it was just beginning it's first loop (of 3). I flipped from F to P and landed it manually.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl