Processor to edit 4k video.

Reaction score
Hello,
I just ordered a P4 and want to edit 4k video. My Apple all in one desktop has a 3.2 GHZ Intel Core i5 processor. Will my desktop do the job?
Thank you for your help.
Terry

Hello,
I just ordered a P4 and want to edit 4k video. My Apple all in one desktop has a 3.2 GHZ Intel Core i5 processor. Will my desktop do the job?
Thank you for your help.
Terry
It is more RAM than cpu speed. faster cpu just gets done faster. but processing 4k is BIG memory footprint.

I trying to see if a server system might be better, they have standard video card, but lots of fast ram, and are for moving data fast across the buses.

My memory is on 8 gb. Is that a problem?
Thank you for your reply.
Terry

Is there an external device that I can add to my computer to make it work? I really was looking forward to shooting in 4k and downsizing the results.
Also, what are blade rack mounts? I have a huge learning curve and really appreciate the help.
Terry

I have a surface pro 3 with an i5 processor and 4gb ram. Using Power Director 15 I have been able to edit my 4k film no bother, but the renderimg does take a while. You Feb download a free trial to see if it works before paying out. Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is there an external device that I can add to my computer to make it work? I really was looking forward to shooting in 4k and downsizing the results.
Also, what are blade rack mounts? I have a huge learning curve and really appreciate the help.
Terry

They are dell rack mount server computers, but they have 18+ gig of ram. they use xenon cpu's so duel 8 core for 16 cpu's.

The easiest solution on the Mac is to transcode to ProRes. Then even modest Macs will play 4K without problems. The problem is the CODEC DJI uses - the H265. It is really good for capturing high quality images, and minimizing disk space, but it is very processor intensive. Most pcs either Mac or Windows, can't decode the video in real time. The result is stuttering and freezes. A graphics card with h265 hardware decoding built in, and pc software that would take advantage of that decoding, would also solve the problem.

Note that gaming computers often don't have very powerful H265 decoding capability, as it isn't needed for most gaming.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have 8 gb of memory, but can add up to 32 gb. Would this help me even though I have an i5 processor? I have an 27" iMac late 2013. I plan to run Adobe Premier with 4k video.
Thank you very much.
Terry

You need to investigate Proxy files guys. Transcoding the original footage and then rendering THAT footage out introduces another layer of processing to the media and you're cooking it twice.

Many programs support it but I'm only really familiar with it in Premiere.

Before importing your media, go to your project settings and locate the ingest settings. There, select 'create proxies'. Select a proxy format that suits being careful to select one that has the same pixel aspect ratio to your 4K UHD of full fat 4K source material. Then import your media. Put the kettle on because you need to let your system do some work to save you time later. Media Encoder will open automatically and create lower resolution files which mimic your originals in every respect except they're less demanding on the CPU etc. You can pile effects and LUTs and Lumetri on your project and see results in realtime in totally acc eptable quality to get the edit done. Once complete, when you come to render out, the system will automatically return to your full resolution files and give you a fabulous end result. I use this less and less now that I have the new MacBook Pro but on my old 2013 machine, I regularly edited multiples layers of 4K source material (albeit a lighter Proxy version temporarily) without sacrificing quality in the end results.

Quick tutorial here for Premiere. Workflow is similar in other programs I'm sure. This workflow approach could mean keeping the quality of your original media at expert and also save you shelling out on a new machine.

Work offline using proxy media | Adobe Premiere Pro CC tutorials

You need to investigate Proxy files guys. Transcoding the original footage and then rendering THAT footage out introduces another layer of processing to the media and you're cooking it twice.

Many programs support it but I'm only really familiar with it in Premiere.

Before importing your media, go to your project settings and locate the ingest settings. There, select 'create proxies'. Select a proxy format that suits being careful to select one that has the same pixel aspect ratio to your 4K UHD of full fat 4K source material. Then import your media. Put the kettle on because you need to let your system do some work to save you time later. Media Encoder will open automatically and create lower resolution files which mimic your originals in every respect except they're less demanding on the CPU etc. You can pile effects and LUTs and Lumetri on your project and see results in realtime in totally acc eptable quality to get the edit done. Once complete, when you come to render out, the system will automatically return to your full resolution files and give you a fabulous end result. I use this less and less now that I have the new MacBook Pro but on my old 2013 machine, I regularly edited multiples layers of 4K source material (albeit a lighter Proxy version temporarily) without sacrificing quality in the end results.

Quick tutorial here for Premiere. Workflow is similar in other programs I'm sure. This workflow approach could mean keeping the quality of your original media at expert and also save you shelling out on a new machine.

Work offline using proxy media | Adobe Premiere Pro CC tutorials

Wow, that's good to know. Will definitely look into doing that.
Thank you very much,
Terry

Reactions: carriage_return

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.