Problems with Dronexpert.nl QuickRelease and GoPro Hero4

InterMurph said:
Hopefully I can find some time to fly tomorrow, to try and sort out the remaining jello problem.

Thanks.

First try the dampeners. soft/med/hard etc.
If that fails, stand underneath phantom whilst hovering. See if the gopro and gimbal is wobbling/shaking. If it is, then you need to lower gain settings in the phantom assist (unfortunately I can't tell you which setting).Set to default Increase or decrease by 10% and repeat. When there is no more wobbles, change back to the vision camera and see if that wobbles also..

I had a similar problem with the 3 leaf foldable props when I had the gains at 200%. When I reverted to stock, my camera was shaking heavily. Restored to default and no more jello.

Basic rule of problem solving: change one variable, then test.

So what I did was:
1) Change the dampeners on the GoPro HD-3D gimbal to the black "50 degrees" ones that came with the gimbal.
2) Change the gains by clicking the 'defaults' button in the Assistant app
3) Change the RC because my new NPVT581 arrived.

The good news: the jello is almost completely gone on the GoPro footage. There is still some there, but I'm testing with 4K footage, and I think that's almost inevitable.

The not-so-good news: there is now a bit of jello on the Vision+ footage, which until today was always rock steady.

The bad news: the cool new tilt dial on the new remote doesn't work with the GoPro. It works with the Vision+, and I love it. I think it's a much better solution than the rear tilt lever, and it gives me excellent control over the tilt. I assume that Dronexpert.nl will have to update their code to make it work with the GoPro. I have notified them, and am waiting to hear back.

InterMurph said:
I got my quick-release kit from Dronexpert.nl yesterday. I followed their video instructions for removing the Vision+ camera, installing the quick-release plate, attaching the camera to the Vision+ sleeve, and reconnecting. I flew it, and everything worked just as it did before.

Then I tried to do the same for my new GoPro Hero 4, but their video instructions didn't show how to install that. I found DJI's instructions for installing their HD-3D gimbal to a standard Phantom 2, so I followed those. I got everything attached, and when I powered it up, I could see the GoPro's video on the Vision+ app. I now have three problems:

• 1) The video on the Vision+ app has waves of video interference. This occurs both with and without the HD-3D's anti-interference module installed. This occurs when I am recording at 4K and 1080p. This doesn't make the GoPro unusable, but it is disconcerting.
  • 2) I am unable to tilt the camera with the up and down buttons on the Vision+ app. I am able to tilt it by pressing the button above those and tilting my phone, but it takes about 20 seconds to tilt the full 90 degrees. I have not installed the tilt lever on my remote or the Y-cable on my copter, but the phone-tilt success indicates that that is not necessary. Update: Dronexpert.nl sent me a firmware upgrade for the quick-release that solves this problem. It was specific to the Android version 1.0.54 of the Vision+ app.
  • 3) When I fly with the GoPro, the copter shakes and wobbles something fierce; the resulting video is virtually unusable. It seems like a balance problem, but I would assume that they would have tested this before shipping it. Update: I was using the wrong set of dampeners. I had installed a black set that came with the HD-3D, which turned out to be too weak. I installed the white set that also came with the gimbal. They are much stronger, and have solved the shaking/wobbling problem.

I have asked for help from Donexpert.nl, but haven't received any help yet (Update: yes I have). Has anybody else tried this out?

The interference is a very difficult to describe problem. some people don’t experience any problem. other people do have it quite intense.
I know that (in my experience) the interference noise gets lower or goes away after some time because the backplane of the Zenmuse Gopro holder heats up.
So the heat has a positive effect on the interference noise. I think this explains the issue that the lines are gone?

Quickrelease has no influence on the interference noise caused by the charger circuit from the zenmuse and unfortunately it is not so much one can do withthere .

see attached video
Except for one trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhf0x3wXDo0
language is in dutch but I hope you will get the idea.
If you use this modification your Gopro will not be charged from the phantom anymore.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhf0x3wXDo0[/youtube]

I never really got it to work perfectly. There is always more shakiness and jello-effect with the GoPro than with the Vision+ camera.

I have moved on to the DJI Inspire 1.

I just installed the same setup. You have to balance the gimbal since the new hero 4 is heavier. I used a penny and dime mounted to the end of the vertical tilt motor. Just made my maiden flight today without a hitch. I have some jello to take care of but I think that has something to do with the rubber dampers then anything. As for the lines on the fpv, I have that to. Dronexpert knows about it and says it has to do with the charging circuit within the gimbal USB port that is creating the lines. I haven't updated to the latest firmware or app, and don't plan to so I cant speak to the issues they have mentioned with the latest firmware.

I shot in 2.7k with the soft black dampers. The jello was very subtle. You wouldn't notice it unless you were specifically looking for it. I'm thinking of using the soft white dampers. I was flying in 28 degree whether. I do notice that when doing a compass calibration the gimbal doesn't seem to go limp when turning the bird-nose facing down (such as the vision camera). Not sure if it is suppose to (never flew a phantom 2 w/zenmuse). So I'm not sure if that is normal or not. So far I love the setup. I have not updated any firmware (app, bird , or quickrelease) and have customized my original tx with a POT from a ps3 controller for camera tilt. All i did was calibrate the gimbal extends with the assistant software. I will chime in again when I change the dampers and fly again to let everyone know the results.

No jello at all now after rebalancing the gimbal and replacing the dampers for the hard white balls. No jello recording 2.7k@60fps.

No jello at all now after rebalancing the gimbal and replacing the dampers for the hard white balls. No jello recording 2.7k@60fps.
Hey Kag - sorry I'm a newbie with all of this... I just finished converting my P2VP to using a Zenmuse H3-3D and my GoPro 3+ - just wondering what the process is for balancing the gimbal - how would I go about doing that?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20