Problems using iPad mini?

Reaction score
Hey everyone... so I have an iPad mini that I want to use when flying my P4v2 or my Mavic Air but I’ve noticed that every time I try and use the iPad mini I tend to have issues with video signal... however when I use my iPhone-XS I have no issues... has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone... so I have an iPad mini that I want to use when flying my P4v2 or my Mavic Air but I’ve noticed that every time I try and use the iPad mini I tend to have issues with video signal... however when I use my iPhone-XS I have no issues... has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately the iPad Mini’s processor cant keep up with the DJI app. I used an iPad Mini 2 for a long time with Phantoms until early this year. Turning your video transmission down to 4MB used to help but the firmware and software have evolved beyond the reliable capabilities of the Mini’s A7 processor. It will still work, but the video will freeze, and the app will crash and is not reliable enough for safe flight. Sorry. For comparison, your iPhone has the new A12 processor. That is five generations of difference. The 2018 iPads work great and are an inexpensive option for you. ~$300 + the cost of a new sunshade ($45) I’m used to the bigger screen now and wouldn’t go back.

I can recommend the PGYTECH 9.7” folding shade. Fits nicely into my Case Club case and is quick to deploy. (Don’t recommend ever leaving the props on the drone for transport- or rolling the case on the ground for that matter)

For reference:

Shade
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CZJTD43/ref=psdcmw_3347571_t2_B078N4JK4Q
Case
https://www.amazon.com/Case-Club-Wa...drone+case&dpPl=1&dpID=51Ydc6EzJ6L&ref=plSrch

Reactions: Realestatepro82
Unfortunately the iPad Mini’s processor cant keep up with the DJI app. I used an iPad Mini 2 for a long time with Phantoms until early this year. Turning your video transmission down to 4MB used to help but the firmware and software have evolved beyond the reliable capabilities of the Mini’s A7 processor. It will still work, but the video will freeze, and the app will crash and is not reliable enough for safe flight. Sorry. For comparison, your iPhone has the new A12 processor. That is five generations of difference. The 2018 iPads work great and are an inexpensive option for you. ~$300 + the cost of a new sunshade ($45) I’m used to the bigger screen now and wouldn’t go back.

I can recommend the PGYTECH 9.7” folding shade. Fits nicely into my Case Club case and is quick to deploy. (Don’t recommend ever leaving the props on the drone for transport- or rolling the case on the ground for that matter)

For reference:

Shade
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CZJTD43/ref=psdcmw_3347571_t2_B078N4JK4Q
Case
https://www.amazon.com/Case-Club-Wa...drone+case&dpPl=1&dpID=51Ydc6EzJ6L&ref=plSrch

Well that makes sense... was thinking it maybe a processor issue but wasn’t 100% sure....maybe it’s time to get a new iPad mini then cause your absolutely right going from a large screen to a iPhone isn’t fun at all!

Thanks for the info and the great suggestions on gear I’ll def check em out!

Well that makes sense... was thinking it maybe a processor issue but wasn’t 100% sure....maybe it’s time to get a new iPad mini then cause your absolutely right going from a large screen to a iPhone isn’t fun at all!

If you want to stay with the Mini, I would wait for the Mini 5, but that will be sometime next year. The Mini 4 just uses an overclocked A8 processor so might not even work anymore. The 6th gen 2018 iPad, not the Pro, uses the A10 processor so buys you a year or two of use before it’s obsolete. (I think the full-size iPad is actually cheaper than the Mini 4 as well.) You have to figure DJI isn’t going to make its software less complicated and more efficient in the future so... Someone else might have a different experience and opinion. I’m giving you my experience with the equipment. Once you upgrade your tablet, flying will be much more enjoyable. Trust me there.

FYI- even with non-DJI mapping software and auto-pilots, the processor still needs to be robust.

If you want to stay with the Mini, I would wait for the Mini 5, but that will be sometime next year. The Mini 4 just uses an overclocked A8 processor so might not even work anymore. The 6th gen 2018 iPad, not the Pro, uses the A10 processor so buys you a year or two of use before it’s obsolete. (I think the full-size iPad is actually cheaper than the Mini 4 as well.) You have to figure DJI isn’t going to make its software less complicated and more efficient in the future so... Someone else might have a different experience and opinion. I’m giving you my experience with the equipment. Once you upgrade your tablet, flying will be much more enjoyable. Trust me there.

FYI- even with non-DJI mapping software and auto-pilots, the processor still needs to be robust.

Makes sense... wondering if may be more advantageous to just get a monitor made specifically for droning? Saw a few online for around the same price as an ipad...

Hi. At last, a topic that I can confidently comment on as a newbie! I also had problems with an iPad Mini 3. I upgraded to a Mini 4, and now it works well with only very occasional stutters in the feed. As for waiting for a Mini 4, according to Mac, that may take a very, very long while. Probably never happen.

I have an iPad Mini 4 and it handles everything I throw at it on my P3S and also on my new Mavic air..I only use it for flying and have no other apps such as e-mail or phone or navigation or maps..Works super..plenty fast and smooth both as wi fi with the P3S and the through the USB plugged into the Mavic air radio control..

Hi. At last, a topic that I can confidently comment on as a newbie! I also had problems with an iPad Mini 3. I upgraded to a Mini 4, and now it works well with only very occasional stutters in the feed. As for waiting for a Mini 4, according to Mac, that may take a very, very long while. Probably never happen.
You meant '...waiting for a Mini 5' I also think it is not going to be.
It is Apple's custom to eliminate intermediate sizes. Remember the iMac 24".

You meant '...waiting for a Mini 5' I also think it is not going to be.
It is Apple's custom to eliminate intermediate sizes. Remember the iMac 24".
OOPS, should read post before hitting the reply button. I was just so excited to be able to add something positive to the group instead of my usual pleas for help

I use a Mini 4. Only time it stutters is when the ipad overheats due to the sun. I refuse to carry more things (the ipad shade) to fly. I do drone mapping, surveying and have yet to find any problems.

I have an iPad Mini, too. It hasn't had service for years, so it's not constantly updating the DJI Go app, correct? So if do the video transmission thing (4MB) that should help, right? At the moment, I'm dealing with at least a 1.5-second delay between reality and what see on the iPad.

I have an iPad Mini, too. It hasn't had service for years, so it's not constantly updating the DJI Go app, correct? So if do the video transmission thing (4MB) that should help, right? At the moment, I'm dealing with at least a 1.5-second delay between reality and what see on the iPad.
The delay also has to do with the signal. Occusync has less delay than lightbridge or wifi. So if you are flying one with that the delay should be less than 30 ms.

No idea what Occusync is. Is it the signal sent by the copter? I have a P3A and DJI Go, which was loaded a couple years back and not updated because the iPad is not subscribed to any service.

Looks like it's the signal that the copter sends and you get what you get with the model you have. Is that correct? I'd happily sacrifice some signal quality on the iPad if it meant less latency. I'm concerned with the quality of the final video, but not necessarily on the screen when I'm flying.

No idea what Occusync is. Is it the signal sent by the copter? I have a P3A and DJI Go, which was loaded a couple years back and not updated because the iPad is not subscribed to any service.
Your P3A uses Lightbridge as the signal in which it comunicates with your remote control. DJI changed Lightbridge to Occusync for models Mavic, Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom & Phantom 4 Pro v2.0.

Looks like it's the signal that the copter sends and you get what you get with the model you have. Is that correct? I'd happily sacrifice some signal quality on the iPad if it meant less latency. I'm concerned with the quality of the final video, but not necessarily on the screen when I'm flying.
Occusync sends better signal quality and has less latency, but Lightbridge has other benefits Occusync does not.

With Lightbridge you are allowed to get 2 different video feed simultanously, like you do in an Inspire.
Not true- in fact one of the principal design intents (explained by DJI in the marketing blurb) of occusunc was to seamlessly enable multiple video feeds and provide multiple controller support.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT