Problem with Onboard Video

Reaction score
I recently purchased a factory refurbed P3 Standard from Newegg - The unit looked completely new, and all the accompanied packaging was unopened. I have a Phantom P1, and know how to use the controls. I synced my phone with the unit, and had to do a firmware update, which was complete.
I had purchased an extra battery,so I expected to have some good flights at my local park. I was able to get a good downlink to the camera, and turned on the camera. I did not change any settings, and was then "RECORDING" video on my phone. I also took several stills.

At the same time, as I understood, I have an SD card in the Stabilized Camera. I assumed that when I started recording on my phone, it would start the recording on the camera, storing the image in the SD card. After two uneventful flights, I examined the images on my computer. I took several still images, and they turned out beautiful. I examined the video (3 of them) and they are horrible. The images jump around, and start and stop regularly. I would expect a great picture recording directly

I did not change any camera settings (white balance, exposure, frame rate, etc.). Does that affect the video quality on the camera, through the SD Card? I would expect those features would affect the download to the phone. If it is too high of frame rate (I believe it was 2.7K 30 FPS), do I need to reduce the settings? I am hoping it is NOT the camera. The stabilized camera seems to work well, as I got smooth images via the downlink. Please let me know.

The flight characteristics were fantastic (Better than my P1). I flew it high and low, and hovered within 3 feet of myself, and it was rock steady. I had 12 - 14 satellites.

Did you transfer the pics and video to the computer's hard drive and then watch them, or did you watch them on the computer, but while they were still on the SD card?

Yes, I first tried to watch the video on the SD card from a Reader, but then I transferred it to my computer hard drive - same video quality - This is my first P3S, and because it was refurbished, I want to make sure I it is working - the Video downlink did lose connection a couple times, but I was able to reestablish the link - Like I said, I want to make sure I am not supposed to set resolution on the onboard. I guess my questions from the P3 communitiy is does a stock P3S out of the box, typically have these issues. If not, then I will think about sending it in, to be services. I have a P1, that I bore holes in the sky, so my real function is to have good camera platform - flight characteristics are the same as my P1 (possible more stability). Thank you. I will be doing more test flights, and then examining the settings.

Eliminate one thing at a time, and from seeing this same complaint numerous times on these forums, start with another computer, or even try uploading a short video straight to YouTube, and add the link to it here in this thread.
Many many times, the issue turns out to be either a computer that can't handle the video, or a video player on said computer.

Reactions: RodPad
Yes as @mdowney58 stated, most cases the computer is not fast enough to play the videos.

Copy from the SD card with a reader or with a USB cable.

Put it on a thumb drive loaded it on a computer that has the poop. not a crappy one....

I have my video camera settings on the lowest resolution, only my wife's dell laptop win 8, and my work computer can play them. My laptop, and two computers in my garage are to slow.

Rod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan