Probably need to do interior images, right?

Reaction score
After a long tenure in the RC hobby business, my wife took a new position at a community college in West Virginia prompting me to leave my job (it was time anyway) and the move to our new location. But this has afforded me the opportunity to pursue a new career which I'm taking a stab in the "drone business." Would eventually like to gravitate toward mapping, but have my P4P+ and am dabbling in aerial imagery (got my uUAS certificate/107 license, started the groundwork with an LLC, building a web site, stocking up my portfolio, upgrading my pc for video editing, etc.). However, when it comes to real estate, I'm getting the idea that aerial images of the exterior using the drone alone won't be enough - probably need to do interior images too, right? Being a real estate photographer isn't something I'm particularly interested in - especially still images from the inside - but it's a start.

Any comments or advice in this regard? Is it possible just to offer exterior images/videos?

Thank you.

Tim
West Virginia

Last edited:
It seems desperados (pricing that couldn’t support a legitimate business) and rogue operators flying unlicensed are destroying opportunities in the real estate drone photography business while a lot of agents are shooting their own interior shots. Mapping and other specialty work is probably your best opportunity if you see it as a main income stream.

First off welcome to the forum and to the sUAS industry. Don't spend a lot of $$ until you can prove the concept in the area you're living in. Don't bet the whole farm until you know this cow can produce for you.

If you're only offering Aerial Imagery to Real Estate clients someone else is going to come in and take food off your table. Many "terrestrial" photographers are getting their P107 and simply adding Drone Photography to their existing portfolio and usually doing so cheaply because they are already on site doing other photography.

The more you offer at a competitive price the more busy you'll be in Real Estate. The downside is unless you're really good at it or just lucky you're not going to make a lot of $$. Riches come from NICHES!

Be very careful in doing business in Wv. It’s a State with a small population. There is a click. That being said, friends hire friends. They are so tight that they can get away with doing their own flying without a part 107. Say something and the business mass will black ball you. On the up side the state is in an economical boom with natural gas, at least in the northern part. I’d say every line of business is looking for people. If you can’t find work, you just aren’t looking. You might do better flying for industrial. Good luck!

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your wisdom gentlemen. Yes, not going to leverage the mortgage on thousands of dollars in new equipment. I'm just learning as I go and incrementally upgrading to do the work necessary (an upgrade in pc to handle an upgrade in video editing software, etc.).

Thanks again.

Tim

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers