Powerextra batteries

I honestly do not believe that DJI would be so stupid as to create a blocking code in FW to prevent use of other batterys - that would be illegal in many countries. Even Microsoft had to stop doing it with Windows and their exploitation of the Browser wars.
DJI has proprietary firmware in their battery. Disallowing 3rd party firmware or supplies is a form of DRM and is legal. HP does it with their ink cartridges. And while it's not the same thing, Keurig does it with the K-Cups.

The browser analogy is invalid because the bundling of IE in Windows without a means of easily changing the default browser was stifling competition with other browsers. If DJI's DRM strategy was to stifle competition with other drone venders, you would have a point.

If you do a Google search on "Non-DJI Intelligent battery detected. Aircraft flight prohibited", you'll get a lot of hits for where the drone owner was blocked from flying their drone. You'll find hits on this site and links to videos like this one

I have no experience with the Powerextra batteries and I take your word that they have worked flawlessly for you. But I don't want to be blocked from using an app because DJI detected a dodgy firmware.

Print cartridges - that is about stopping you refilling them - not stopping 3rd party .... and anyway all are accessible to reset by contacts. They are not 100% prevented from use.

I don't use Powerextra ... I have as linked above.

The video funnily enough - my P3S is from Banggood ....

It is still fact that many countries ban such practices.

But anyway - my point is that I have a supplier who has batterys that work at significant savings to DJI's.

People will use what they decide is best for them ...

Nigel

Last edited:
If it's a new uav (what model, by the way?), it should have come with "Beginner Mode" enabled. If he is trying to fly it indoors, he won't get GPS lock and beginner mode won't let it take off.
It's a phantom 3 standard. We took it out into a field and tried got gps fine but the IMU error keeps coming up, we took it back to the shop and they were as helpful as asking the cat can only suggest sending it away. Will ask him if he knows anything about the beginner mode thank you

It's a phantom 3 standard. We took it out into a field and tried got gps fine but the IMU error keeps coming up, we took it back to the shop and they were as helpful as asking the cat can only suggest sending it away. Will ask him if he knows anything about the beginner mode thank you
Have asked about the beginner mode and he said that he's turned it off, someone has told him the on board computer is broken

I bought a brand new Powerextra Lipo Intelligent Flight Battery for DJI Phantom 4 Drones last week, it got here in a few days, I charged up and let it sit for 2 days cause the drone haden't arrived. Yesterday, the drone got here, today the props come. But, the battery worked fine and I only paid $83.50 for it with free shipping from E-bay and it came in a fireproof bag. What's not to like?

I have used many Powerex batteries over the years, rechargables, and never had any problems at all. Your milege may vary.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl