Powerextra batteries

Reaction score
Wish I would have done a little more reading before purchasing one of these. I haven't received it yet but I see where some people can't get them to work while others don't seem to have a problem. What gives? I understand with these being intelligent batteries it would be possible to make these useless by DJI, but I would think they wouldn't sell many of them if that was the case. Is it a matter of firmware? Thanks.

Wish I would have done a little more reading before purchasing one of these. I haven't received it yet but I see where some people can't get them to work while others don't seem to have a problem. What gives? I understand with these being intelligent batteries it would be possible to make these useless by DJI, but I would think they wouldn't sell many of them if that was the case. Is it a matter of firmware? Thanks.
Yep.... firmware

Send it back and get a dji battery when you can afford one. Your gonna be flying alot high up and me personally wouldn't scrimp on the main power supply to keep your phantom in the air.

Sent from my SM-A310F using PhantomPilots mobile app

If it works when you receive it, then apparently the firmware doesn't have a problem with it and it should keep working, unless a future firmware update from DJI decides to disallow it.
I won't use aftermarket batteries, personally. It's not worth the risk to me.

I agree with what a lot of you are saying but in all fairness I do think the batteries are very over priced for what they are. On the other hand, they do seem to have us by the short and curly's and I guess, if we want these fantastic machines then we are just gonna have to pay the price

I am running on 1.7.idk but it works great. I heard it gets cell errors and may be blocked on android. Just dont update dji go if you run iOS to prevent a update that would make useless, and try to downgrade. Also, never update firmware.

The battery will either work or it won't work when you received it. If it doesn't, return it. If it does, it will likely be just fine. Chances are it will not fail during flight, though it could be disabled by a firmware update. Of course, many people have had luck downgrading firmware too. Personally, I bought an OEM battery for $110 and just figured it in the price of the drone when I purchased it.

Help my son just purchased this today was so happy with himself he's been saving for ages, got it home set it all up as per instructions etc and it does nothing but beep he's updated everything calibrated it so many times I'm dizzy from watching and all o have now is a very sad guy and a machine that beeps. Oh the beeping make it stop. Please help and make me the best mumma eva

I have original and aftermarket batterys with no difference whatsoever in use.

The aftermarket cost me approx. £70 incl. shipping from Ireland dealer who is in fact Chinese.

I have updated FW and still perfect performance.

It is noted that use of DJI Go will show info on batterys that Litchi does not ... so I may suggest that use of Litchi may prove better in cases of DJI 'objection' ................

As to this repeated rubbish about AC falling out of the sky due to aftermarket batterys .... sorry - but I think that is just scaremongering and worthy only of the 'bums rush' verdict. Even though on various threads I have asked for actual first hand evidence due to battery failure - NONE has been forthcoming.
AC falling out of sky has to be due to some other catastrophic reason ... because IF the battery starts to fail various auto functions initiate. a) RTH, b) auto land at that position are two basics that would happen.

Vast majority of RC world and includes vast majority of Multi-rotors DO NOT use proprietary design batterys as DJI does. They do not 'fall out of the sky' - they do not 'harm people or objects'. They do not lead to invalidated warranty's. They do not lead to legal cases. People are free to buy their batterys as suited to fit the model. Why do people think DJI are only company to provide reliable battery packs ? When in fact they do not produce them - they BUY IN !!

Nigel

Reactions: Solly747400
I have original and aftermarket batterys with no difference whatsoever in use.
Since you're such a seasoned veteran with using aftermarket batteries, why don't you use some of your knowledge to help those who are interested in using them? All you do is comment in all of the aftermarket battery threads about how they are just as good as DJI batteries. That's not helpful -- nor does it help anyone above who is having trouble with their batteries.

msinger ................ I have posted up links to the batterys I use many times ... you have poked a stick at me for this not once .... what else can I do but quote what I observe and obtain.

If my batterys from "kuentl on eBay"

4500mAh 15.2V 4S Intelligent Flight Battery For DJI Phantom 3 Drone Quadcopter | eBay

work perfectly - what is your problem ?? I really do not understand why you attack me being honest ?

I will not pay DJI's inflated price for what is essentially the same product.

It is similar to literally every other product on the market that uses additional items ... you can pay BMW prices or 3rd party .... Volvo prices or 3rd party .... IBM prices or 3rd party ............. so why does this silly argument keep coming up about DJI batterys ....

Sorry - just being straight and honest ... if people want to pay DJI price - let them ... if people like me prefer to save money and have a reliable product - then why not ...

Nigel

work perfectly - what is your problem ?? I really do not understand why you attack me being honest ?
I'm not attacking you. I'm offering an honest suggestion. There are two people above who are asking for help with a 3rd party battery and all you did was reply saying how great they are. Hijacking these threads to spread your love for aftermarket batteries is not helpful to anyone.

Sorry Abadrs, and I can't help with your actual question... I wish you luck with whatever the outcome is.

But I see another battery thread, and specifically battery "price" thread developing, and I struggle with that... though Abadrs, this is not directed toward you in any way.

...and figured it in the price of the drone when I purchased it.

Exactly that.

There's nothing hidden here. When you buy a drone, you know what you get with it (typically one battery). You know how much OEM batteries are. There are aftermarket batteries available that cost less than OEM but may or may not come with unforeseen risks.

So make an informed decision and live with it!!

It's not helpful to come into a forum and criticize the drone manufacturers pricing strategy. Maybe, if the OEM batteries were cheaper, the drones would be more expensive. Or DJI care would be out of reach. Or propellers would be twice the price...

A company wants to make a bottom line, and deserves to. They also have R&D, software, and innumerable other costs to cover. How they choose to structure their pricing strategy is just that, a strategy. And the price of everything is there for you to accept or reject.

I'm not trying to quell the voice of the masses, but maybe there should be "price" or "OEM" venting thread and the non-relevant complaints can be focussed there.

Like this one.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Techcop50
Help my son just purchased this today was so happy with himself he's been saving for ages, got it home set it all up as per instructions etc and it does nothing but beep he's updated everything calibrated it so many times I'm dizzy from watching and all o have now is a very sad guy and a machine that beeps. Oh the beeping make it stop. Please help and make me the best mumma eva
If it's a new uav (what model, by the way?), it should have come with "Beginner Mode" enabled. If he is trying to fly it indoors, he won't get GPS lock and beginner mode won't let it take off.

Maybe, if the OEM batteries were cheaper, the drones would be more expensive. Or DJI care would be out of reach. Or propellers would be twice the price...

To me it's a lot like buying the best suit you can afford and wearing your tennis shoes with it. You can do it, but why would you?

Personally - I would say you have already answered your own question - "they wouldn't sell many of them if that was the case".

I honestly believe that many problems of whatever nature are too often easily blamed on another factor instead of trying to really find out what was cause.

Let me give an example :

53" span 5kg biplane with 15cc gasoline engine up front ... flying good ... flypast at moderate height downwind ... flip inverted and bring her round for an inverted pass going upwind. Just before she reaches me - she dives into the tarmac and shatters not only model but engine etc .
On the video I immediately shout I went wrong way with elevator ... down is up ... up is down when inverted.
But studying the video later shows clearly that she dives at a steady straight line into the tarmac even though I am moving the sticks .... NO elevator movement at all. Diagnostics then prove an intermittent elevator fault causing it to fail at times.

The moral is : what you think and jump to conclusion - can often be wrong. I suggest that a large number of battery stories are like that.

If so many Powerextra Batterys are being sold and many of them NOT reported as failed - then something else is going on.
I honestly do not believe that DJI would be so stupid as to create a blocking code in FW to prevent use of other batterys - that would be illegal in many countries. Even Microsoft had to stop doing it with Windows and their exploitation of the Browser wars.

I do accept that it is possible for lesser quality control to be on some batterys - of course i would be stupid to claim otherwise. But I would also be naive to think that DJI batterys were without any faults. Nothing is perfect. Everything is also built to a price.

As to the Corvette and tyres ... yes well as I know two who owned the original Corvette and suffered the cracked body shells that were common faults after a few years of use ... we shall put that aside ... a fault that also plagued the Shelby Cobra in fact ...

A fact that all seem to ignore - nearly ALL proprietary items of whatever item it may be - ALL spheres of life have most often higher price because they are proprietary. And it is no g'tee of quality.

I bet most reading this prefer a brand of gasoline ... if you only knew the truth.

Nigel

Yes, everybody has an opinion on batteries, tires, gasoline, OEM… And they are all just that, opinions. And everyone is free to accept or reject anyone else's opinion.

I guess what I'm saying is that I tend to believe that manufacturers do everything they can to give whatever they produce the best possible chance to perform correctly with the parts they spec.

Given that assumption, I tend to default the OEM for critical components... by choosing OEM, I believe I'm giving my significant investment the best possible chance to perform correctly and stay airborne.

I just have no idea how much Powerextra gives priority to Phantom batteries over a multitude of other batteries they produce.

In my "opinion", DJI is significantly more committed to avoiding crashes of DJI products than anyone else.

EDIT: Prior to this I'd never even looked into them. I just did. They make batteries for 280 different things.

If I get a bad battery for my drill... oh well, I'll put another one in or use a screwdriver while I wait for warranty. If I get a bad battery for my drone...
d74c77abf7352e937e5d222a39f55625.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic