Power form USB socket

Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking at putting some lights on my P3A. This will obviously need some power (12 or 5v). The different options I have read about/though of are

1) Open up the bird and patch in somewhere – not too keen on this idea

2) Patch into the battery – there seems to be some lights with connectors out there that hook into the battery socket. I have watched a few YouTube videos but none of them seem to give good views or explanations. I am also very cautious that if this causes a battery problem then it’s game over at 100ft in the air.

3) Self-contained power supply – I have some small/light 5V power banks that could be used for this. I know the weight will reduce flight time more than option 1 and 2 but has the advantage of not interfering with anything.

4) Tapping power form either the USB socket on the drone or the camera. I have not been able to find much information on the possibility of doing this… Do either of these sockets provide 5V.

Looking at the options 4 seems best if it will work – no opening up – protected (hopefully) against the lights doing anything silly – easy to remove for day flights…

If anyone has opinions on either of the methods (with 2 and 4 being my preferred option at the moment) I would love to hear form more experienced peeps…

Thanks for reading

Everso

Hi all

I am looking at putting some lights on my P3A. This will obviously need some power (12 or 5v). The different options I have read about/though of are

1) Open up the bird and patch in somewhere – not too keen on this idea

2) Patch into the battery – there seems to be some lights with connectors out there that hook into the battery socket. I have watched a few YouTube videos but none of them seem to give good views or explanations. I am also very cautious that if this causes a battery problem then it’s game over at 100ft in the air.

3) Self-contained power supply – I have some small/light 5V power banks that could be used for this. I know the weight will reduce flight time more than option 1 and 2 but has the advantage of not interfering with anything.

4) Tapping power form either the USB socket on the drone or the camera. I have not been able to find much information on the possibility of doing this… Do either of these sockets provide 5V.

Looking at the options 4 seems best if it will work – no opening up – protected (hopefully) against the lights doing anything silly – easy to remove for day flights…

If anyone has opinions on either of the methods (with 2 and 4 being my preferred option at the moment) I would love to hear form more experienced peeps…

Thanks for reading

Everso
I have had one of these Bright White LED Headlight Camera Drone Repair Parts Kit for DJI Phantom 3/4 602731577679 | eBay on my P3P for about 2 years although mine has a small in-line control circuit board with an on/off switch.

It falls into your number 2 category and there is a metal connection board which slips over and is slid all the way down onto the battery upper prongs. The electrical contact area isn't large but there again the load isn't either. It worked fine until a couple of days ago when I noticed it was flickering now and then. Gave the connector a squeeze and a wiggle and it works fine again. I've checked and as I expected there is no sign of burning at the contact points.

It's a cheap option and the circular multiple LED board is bright and very visible at a distance, even on bright days. I think I paid a bit less than the price shown in the link but I would say it's worth having and helps a lot with flying LOS orientation, even in daytime.

Thank you Steve.

I found this

Professional Standard White RC Drone LED Camera Head Light For DJI Phantom 3 9934840354270 | eBay

which looks the same and is only £3ish. It's worth that much just to have a look at the connector. I still can't find a good picture of one so I guess playing with one is the next best thing.

Glad to have a personal recomendation on a type of connection to use as well.

Cheers
Everso

Update...

I finally found a good video showing how they look and work. This apparently slots in through a ventilation slot ... so that answers the question of how I get the wire out :) All in all it looks a neat solution. I might look and see if I can power and LED strip from it instead of the headlight. I would like to have red covering the back and green the front. I'm still very new at this game and keeping orientation is a problem for me :)

Thank you once again for your help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve7777
That looks like you need to take the bird apart. Might be easier to patch into the arm lights. This would give you on and off control from the ground.

That's what I thought at first ... but I found a video installing it and it took like 30 seconds. One bit slips through a vent and you reach inside the battery bay and slip it over the contacts.

I also don't think the arm LEDs can provide enough power to drive a whole strip. I admit - it would be cool to be able to turn it on and off but I can possible rig something up to do that with a light sensitive resistor. There was a thread about someone using that to operate a drop mechanism via a relay. If there's voltage available with the power tap that sounds dooable.

Yep :) And given the prices I went and got some more bits...

I got two of these

Mini LED 3 Key 12V 12A Controller Dimmer Amplifier For RGB 5050 3528 Strip Light 664985127543 | eBay

and two of these

1-10m 5050 RGB 60LEDs/M LED Strip Light Flexible+Wireless WIFI Remote/12V Power | eBay

for a grand total of £4.00

So ... I will be able to have two LED strips - one around the two front arms and one round the back arms. Each will be individually controllable (off - color - flash - pulse). To paraphrase Dr. Evil It will be lit up like a frickin Christmas tree. That should help with orientation :). I'll post when it's done and advise how it goes.

Yep :) And given the prices I went and got some more bits...

I got two of these

Mini LED 3 Key 12V 12A Controller Dimmer Amplifier For RGB 5050 3528 Strip Light 664985127543 | eBay

and two of these

1-10m 5050 RGB 60LEDs/M LED Strip Light Flexible+Wireless WIFI Remote/12V Power | eBay

for a grand total of £4.00

So ... I will be able to have two LED strips - one around the two front arms and one round the back arms. Each will be individually controllable (off - color - flash - pulse). To paraphrase Dr. Evil It will be lit up like a frickin Christmas tree. That should help with orientation :). I'll post when it's done and advise how it goes.
I've got some 2812B RGB LED boards and strips mounted on some of the racing drones that I fly. No physical controller but programmed up for various functions with Betaflight. Again, very useful for LOS orientation (and fun too!)...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav