*** Posting About Your 107 Results? POST IT HERE!

Did you find the test easy or hard?

• It was easy for me!

• It had some challenges but I got through it OK.

• I found it difficult.

• I haven't tested yet but plan to.

• I'm don't plan to take the test.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Relying on doing practice tests only is NOT the best way to study for the exam. Do the practice tests but then READ and UNDERSTAND the material they are based upon. I had very few questions on the test that I considered foreign.

After studying a few hours here, 1 hour there for ~10 days, I took the test on 3/14, scored a 93 (no previous pilot experience).
Test results showed on IACRA on 3/16, most recent status on 3/17 shows transferred to registry. *edit* 3/20 temporary certificate issued

I didn't find the exam all that difficult, marked ~12 questions and went back to answer after finishing. Throughout the exam, I made a point to have an answer in my head before viewing the options (did this while studying as well). I think most of the questions can quickly be narrowed down to 2 if you don't immediately know the answer, and from there choose the best answer.

I did NOT want to pay for study materials (and firmly believe there's A LOT of info out there to pass the exam, maybe not get 100, but definitely pass) so here's what I did verbatim:

1) Browsed JRupprechtlaw's Site
2) Read (start to finish) the Remote Pilot: sUAS Study Guide on FAA site
3) Completed the free online FAA Part 107 sUAS course (ALC-451
)
4) Read the material on 3dr site
5) Answered the 40 JRupprechtlaw test questions and reviewed answers
6) Answered the ~120 3dr test questions
7) Googled a few questions I didn't understand and watched a few parts of Tony and Chelsea Northrup's Part 107 Test Youtbue video
--- at this point I felt I had a pretty solid grasp on the material AND how the tenor of the questions and answers ---
8) Briefly skimmed (again) the Remote Pilot: sUAS Study Guide on FAA site [~35min]
9) Read over JRupprechtlaw's cram pages
10) ~7hrs of sleep, light breakfast, arrived 25min early to skim JRupprechtlaw's cram pages once more
11) Karate chopped the 107 in the throat

I felt the exam was overall very fair and could've easily been much harder, especially if it had 4 or 5 answer choices (remembers law school, shudders). I think I benefited from feeling in tune with the flow of the questions and answers because I did not outright memorize a lot of the material. I most certainly did not memorize things like the Aeronautical Decision Making processes and would've had some trouble if they were very specific. That was maybe a bad idea, but I was scoring well (not 95%) on the practice questions and for those that I did miss, I understood why.

Hope this helps. I'll update when the temp shows up on IACRA and hard copy for data points. If anyone has questions, let me know.

Last edited:
Similar experience. Just got back from testing center an hour ago. 80%. Got 8 wrong I believe. Those 8 were the ones I had to guess at.

Example: "As the separation between temperature and dew point gets smaller, you can expect....." (or something similar).
One answer was clearly wrong, but as usual, two answers were very close/similar. Eight times, I guessed wrong :)

No experience outside of the US. Coast Guard, no pilot training, no 3rd party PAID Ground School (Cost per Benefit is poor), used all free resources, read a lot, used up a highlighter, etc.

Best of luck!

Reactions: dfphoto
Hard copy is in. No "date of issue", but supposedly the FAA will send another one once they fix their printer issue. Doesn't bother me. Happy to finally have my number!

Total time from completion and passing of the test to receiving the hard copy was 7 weeks.
Just an update on printer issue: New hard copy with issued date just arrived today. Roughly 10 days after the original hard copy.

Congrats! Doesn't really matter what the score is......ya just need to pass to start getting paid!
Of course, once you start getting paid, it is nice to know things like airspaces, authorizations, and regulations. Personally, I think a good score is something to strive for.

Of course, once you start getting paid, it is nice to know things like airspaces, authorizations, and regulations. Personally, I think a good score is something to strive for.

I completely agree with you Russ.

Just got back from taking the test, got a score of 93. I took a two Saturday class at the local community college. The instructor is a retired airline pilot (lots of good stories and insights). Used the "Remote Pilot Test Prep" book from ASA. Spent a total of about 20 hours studying for the test. The test was about what I expected as far as difficulty.

Passed the 107 test on 3/31/17 with a 100%. My test was heavy on reading sectional charts and rules and regs. A couple easy questions on weather and a few on ADM. I used Sarah Nilsson' online study guide and ASA Remote pilot test prep and study guide book. I found the 5 online practice tests included with the book very helpful. With all the free online resources available I think paying to take a course is a waste of money.

Reactions: sar104
I passed my test yesterday with a 88%. For me, there were some tricky questions. I'd even go as far as saying they were trick questions. I know everybody gets a different batch of questions, but a few of mine had answers that only varied by one or two words.

One question was, Part 107 covers UAS a) X b) 55 lbs c) under 55 lbs. We see 55 lbs all the time but I blanked out and didn't remember if it was up to, as in 54.9999 lbs or includes 55 lbs.

Another was, Part 107 covers a) civil UAS b) civil & public UAS c) x I don't remember ever seeing anything about that anywhere.

I studied for 3 months. Maybe overkill, but I wanted to learn this stuff and memorize it. I only had 2 questions on METAR/TAFs. Most was sectional charts. I did have a few about emergency procedures. I even had one about alcohol consumption (that was obviously a no brainer).

I used this study guide religously: Remote Drone Pilot Certification Study Guide: Your Key to Earning Part 107 Remote Pilot Certification: T C Freeman: 9780998128306: Amazon.com: Books

I also used the FAA study guide and practice test. Even though I got a 100% on the FAA practice test, the actual test for me was much harder.

It's hit or miss what questions you get, but I think most people are in agreement that sectional charts are the majority of the questions. Learn those, and you should be good!

Reactions: jeffcutler
After studying a few hours here, 1 hour there for ~10 days, I took the test on 3/14, scored a 93 (no previous pilot experience).
Test results showed on IACRA on 3/16, most recent status on 3/17 shows transferred to registry. *edit* 3/20 temporary certificate issued

I didn't find the exam all that difficult, marked ~12 questions and went back to answer after finishing. Throughout the exam, I made a point to have an answer in my head before viewing the options (did this while studying as well). I think most of the questions can quickly be narrowed down to 2 if you don't immediately know the answer, and from there choose the best answer.

I did NOT want to pay for study materials (and firmly believe there's A LOT of info out there to pass the exam, maybe not get 100, but definitely pass) so here's what I did verbatim:

1) Browsed JRupprechtlaw's Site
2) Read (start to finish) the Remote Pilot: sUAS Study Guide on FAA site
3) Completed the free online FAA Part 107 sUAS course (ALC-451
)
4) Read the material on 3dr site
5) Answered the 40 JRupprechtlaw test questions and reviewed answers
6) Answered the ~120 3dr test questions
7) Googled a few questions I didn't understand and watched a few parts of Tony and Chelsea Northrup's Part 107 Test Youtbue video
--- at this point I felt I had a pretty solid grasp on the material AND how the tenor of the questions and answers ---
8) Briefly skimmed (again) the Remote Pilot: sUAS Study Guide on FAA site [~35min]
9) Read over JRupprechtlaw's cram pages
10) ~7hrs of sleep, light breakfast, arrived 25min early to skim JRupprechtlaw's cram pages once more
11) Karate chopped the 107 in the throat

I felt the exam was overall very fair and could've easily been much harder, especially if it had 4 or 5 answer choices (remembers law school, shudders). I think I benefited from feeling in tune with the flow of the questions and answers because I did not outright memorize a lot of the material. I most certainly did not memorize things like the Aeronautical Decision Making processes and would've had some trouble if they were very specific. That was maybe a bad idea, but I was scoring well (not 95%) on the practice questions and for those that I did miss, I understood why.

Hope this helps. I'll update when the temp shows up on IACRA and hard copy for data points. If anyone has questions, let me know.

Thanks for the descriptive post. It further insures me that buying any of the study materials is just not needed. I had thought this from the beginning but after numerous posts like yours there's just no way that paying for study materials is needed. Thanks and congrats [emoji4]

Thanks to all of you who have shared your FAA 107 experiences and congratulations on meeting your personal goals. Good luck in all future endeavors.

Got off to a rough start, got there early to do some last minute cramming before my 9am test time. At the recommended 15 minute early arrival I walked up to locked doors. About 5 after they were in and started the paperwork. They had a computer problem and the proctor could not get anyone to answer from PSI. After a 30 minute wait I offered to look at it. My employer required me to get network and security certified, first time I got to use it. It had a problem with a path to a network drive, resolved. I started out a little stressed and lacking in confidence. As I progressed confidence improved and after 30 I was certain I would pass. 60 minutes later I passed with a 98:). I got my private license in 87 and flew until about 92. That knowledge helped but so many changes since then, especially the rental rate. A 172 there was $170, I was paying $50 back then. At that rate the BFR method to 107 was out of the question. I decided to do this last weekend so I studied off and on 15-30 mins at a time probably less than 5 hours. G airspace was new to me and gave me the most trouble. Most of the study was on the FAA website for UAS prep. Hit most of the links. Topics I didn't understand I just Googled. I did pay for an Android app for study questions, "Remote Pilot" $4.99, a little over 300 questions with explanations and found that helpful. The mix of question is about what I read on the FAA site. All the questions that referenced a figure I would go to the page first before reading the rest. There was a lot of page turning as they do not go in order. A bit of a rough start but pretty happy with how the day ended. Congrats to those that got it and good luck to those pursuing it.

Got off to a rough start, got there early to do some last minute cramming before my 9am test time. At the recommended 15 minute early arrival I walked up to locked doors. About 5 after they were in and started the paperwork. They had a computer problem and the proctor could not get anyone to answer from PSI. After a 30 minute wait I offered to look at it. My employer required me to get network and security certified, first time I got to use it. It had a problem with a path to a network drive, resolved. I started out a little stressed and lacking in confidence. As I progressed confidence improved and after 30 I was certain I would pass. 60 minutes later I passed with a 98:). I got my private license in 87 and flew until about 92. That knowledge helped but so many changes since then, especially the rental rate. A 172 there was $170, I was paying $50 back then. At that rate the BFR method to 107 was out of the question. I decided to do this last weekend so I studied off and on 15-30 mins at a time probably less than 5 hours. G airspace was new to me and gave me the most trouble. Most of the study was on the FAA website for UAS prep. Hit most of the links. Topics I didn't understand I just Googled. I did pay for an Android app for study questions, "Remote Pilot" $4.99, a little over 300 questions with explanations and found that helpful. The mix of question is about what I read on the FAA site. All the questions that referenced a figure I would go to the page first before reading the rest. There was a lot of page turning as they do not go in order. A bit of a rough start but pretty happy with how the day ended. Congrats to those that got it and good luck to those pursuing it.
Nice score. Gratz!

Reactions: PhantomPhreak
Thanks to all of you who have shared your FAA 107 experiences and congratulations on meeting your personal goals. Good luck in all future endeavors.
Having taken several FAA tests previously for various certificates I opted to use Gleim as a study guide instead of going all over the map gleaning info. I'm glad I did and I highly recommend this approach. Everything you need to know in a simple package.

Having taken several FAA tests previously for various certificates I opted to use Gleim as a study guide instead of going all over the map gleaning info. I'm glad I did and I highly recommend this approach. Everything you need to know in a simple package.

M1shooter, was there a particular Gleim study guide (title) that you used in prep for the 107 test? I looked on the internet for a specific Gleim manual pertaining to the 107 drone topic without luck. But my wife accuses me of being blind also. Any response is appreciated. Up to now, I have been gleaning info and not doing a good job of covering all of the topics thoroughly.

M1shooter, was there a particular Gleim study guide (title) that you used in prep for the 107 test? I looked on the internet for a specific Gleim manual pertaining to the 107 drone topic without luck. But my wife accuses me of being blind also. Any response is appreciated. Up to now, I have been gleaning info and not doing a good job of covering all of the topics thoroughly.
Not familiar with Gleim, but maybe this is what he used:
FAA Test Prep Online: Remote Pilot - sUAS - Gleim Aviation

Reactions: Craig H

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj