Possible Trouble on the Horizon

Reaction score
Last week I met a guy who is the friend of a friend. We were out for dinner and during the conversation I happened to mention that I had a drone. The guy almost started jumping up and down like a little puppy when I showed him a couple of photos I had taken. This guy is almost 50 years old, going on 12.

He talked me into going to his house the next day to show him how my drone flew. I got there, got it all set up and ready to go. However, my screen said that I was in a restricted area - private airport - and said that I would fly at my own risk. The "OK" or "Agree" button was greyed out. It was then that I remembered I saw a small airstrip that is used for Cessnas on the way to his house. I actually let out a sigh of relief not long after I packed everything up because a helicopter flew by at possibly lower or at least as high as my drone would have been if I was able to fly it. Kudos to DJI for including this fantastic safety feature in their products.

Th guy almost started to cry when I told him I couldn't fly because of being so close to the airstrip. But it didn't change his mind about getting a drone. His comment was that he knew someone who would be able to override the software. His plan is to sit on his back deck and fly all over his neighborhood, checking out his friend's house which is about 3 km away from his house. All this and a long list of other long distance flights he's going to make - all from his back deck.

All I told him was that his plans would be extremely dangerous. I told him that he would be playing with people's lives. But I don't think I scared him. I'm almost positive that he'll try very hard to come through with what he plans to do with a drone. I gave him a strong warning and that's all I could do.

I 'm sure that there's a lot more guys like him out there who are very immature, and on the brink of being out of their minds. People like these shouldn't be allowed to drive a bicycle let alone fly a drone. Scary.

Last week I met a guy who is the friend of a friend. We were out for dinner and during the conversation I happened to mention that I had a drone. The guy almost started jumping up and down like a little puppy when I showed him a couple of photos I had taken. This guy is almost 50 years old, going on 12.

He talked me into going to his house the next day to show him how my drone flew. I got there, got it all set up and ready to go. However, my screen said that I was in a restricted area - private airport - and said that I would fly at my own risk. The "OK" or "Agree" button was greyed out. It was then that I remembered I saw a small airstrip that is used for Cessnas on the way to his house. I actually let out a sigh of relief not long after I packed everything up because a helicopter flew by at possibly lower or at least as high as my drone would have been if I was able to fly it. Kudos to DJI for including this fantastic safety feature in their products.

Th guy almost started to cry when I told him I couldn't fly because of being so close to the airstrip. But it didn't change his mind about getting a drone. His comment was that he knew someone who would be able to override the software. His plan is to sit on his back deck and fly all over his neighborhood, checking out his friend's house which is about 3 km away from his house. All this and a long list of other long distance flights he's going to make - all from his back deck.

All I told him was that his plans would be extremely dangerous. I told him that he would be playing with people's lives. But I don't think I scared him. I'm almost positive that he'll try very hard to come through with what he plans to do with a drone. I gave him a strong warning and that's all I could do.

I 'm sure that there's a lot more guys like him out there who are very immature, and on the brink of being out of their minds. People like these shouldn't be allowed to drive a bicycle let alone fly a drone. Scary.
So true. Sadly, this is a real threat to the hobby flyers out there. Just last week a firefighting helicopter was grounded due to some jerk flying his drone near an active fire site. You can be sure he knew exactly what he was doing and just didn't care. I don't blame DJI one bit for imposing some of these restrictions.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
The "OK" or "Agree" button was greyed out.

Not sure if this is what you're describing but, when I first started using the Go4 app, when the warning message popped up, the check box to "accept" responsibility for flying appeared to be greyed out. Sometimes, in bright light, it's all but invisible and just fades into the background. But then, there was one time when I could actually see the check box much clearer and I tapped it, and the warning message disappeared. From then on, if I can't see the check box, I simply remembered where the box is located and just tap in that area when the message pops up.

Reactions: DKG13CC
Checking out his friend's house is a intentional observation, which is a crime here in Texas. I think it's a 3rd degree misdemeanor.

It sounds like you needed to take on a "tough love" approach and be much more direct about what can, and cannot, be done legally. That would be a nicer, more friend oriented approach than to let him spend a lot of money on a drone and then be totally let down as to what he can, and cannot do after the fact.

It sounds like you needed to take on a "tough love" approach and be much more direct about what can, and cannot, be done legally. That would be a nicer, more friend oriented approach than to let him spend a lot of money on a drone and then be totally let down as to what he can, and cannot do after the fact.
Hi Russ43Phantom... thanks for the comeback. Actually, that's pretty much what I did do with the guy. As I said, he's just a friend of a friend of a friend and this was only the second time I was in his company. I tried to fly my drone from his house only to find that he was in a NFZ because of a small private airport near his place. I explained this to him and his answer to that was he knew someone who could override this in the DJI software. I also told him in no uncertain terms that he would be dealing with life or death situations if he did this. But that's about all I could say to him... I made him quite aware of what could happen. What he does with my advice is totally up to him... I don't have the power to physically stop him from flying. I haven't seen nor heard from this guy since then so I really don't know what he's been up to, or if he even bought a drone. My guess is that he did. Where he's flying it is unknown to me. I'm hoping that I'm wrong. :worried:

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
I assume you mean "may" and "may not" rather than "can" and "cannot." ;)

Reactions: Bobby T

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl