POSSIBLE fix for the tilted horizontal issue on P4

Yes, but it won't show you the numerical degrees of adjustment, and the green crosshairs will not show up until you also rotate the right scroll wheel while pressing and holding the right button on the bottom. It does help on the fly, while ruining the continuous video during the adjustment, assuming it sticks. On mine it just kept popping back to the original setting!
Ugh.

Well I bought the Pro to eliminate and concerns that it could be the hardware related on the ground.

My daughter is a burgeoning young artist and every time I'm in the Apple store with her, I've planted her just turned 4 year old body in front of the Pro with the iPad Pencil and she loves it so I figured even if I can't figure out the issues or give up with that second one, at least she has a tool to keep learning. These are the things i have to do to justify sinking another $1000 towards a machine that really doesn't male me money.

I'm spending $1600 right now building an octo with an over 30lb payload and I am putting 6 2200mAh bats that will be awesome. This will be the first large UAS that I built on my own.

It makes everything so much nicer when you are building yourself because a) you can't blame anyone but you b) there is no production line issues, if there is a problem, it was my fault and c) if it breaks, I'll be able to trouble shoot it quickly and d) it's a better money making machine.

I suggest to everyone that if you haven't jumped to or from the DIY side of things, that you do it. It's theraputic. My first DIY project was the flame wheel and I still have that thing but you wouldn't even recognize it as a flame. Anyway, I rambling about nothing. I love new gear and this Pro is amazing.

It's worth it just for the light. I had my mini 2 with me in the store to compare reflection (I was going to buy the Air 2) but the Pro is just SO smooth and faster and when I shined my iphone battery in the screen of the mini it was like a mirror and reflected so much that it made a light I could control on the Apple sales guy's shirt. When I did the same on the Air 2 and the Pro, it was just sucked in. To wit, first thing I did was bring it outside in the heavy sun and I could see it plain as day (pardon the interruption). The Pro, if you can afford it, is BY FAAARRR the best iPad on the market. I can't believe the other Pro owner aren't screaming from the roof tops.

Sort of strangely, it also came with the 9.0 iOs, not the 9.1 which IS GREAT as it's one of the variables of many that existed during firmware and software upgrades that caused issues, so I am leaving it at 9.0 for now. I've heard rumblings that 9.3 which is currently in beta, fix many of the issues that arose and I'll find it massively ironic if the whole time it was an iOs issue. Either way, the Pro is dope and has been reinvigorating my drawing desires and I've been more interested in the iPad than the bird.

The iPad by the way has a pretty **** amazing 4K camera on it. It even has the ability to add extra lens functionality and has a 2.0 aperature I believe and one of those lens add ons simulates an f/11. NEVER have I been a iPad photographer but in a pinch this thing takes a friggen amazing image. Better than the Phantom's, that's for sure. At the end of the day, we are getting great imagery from being so far up in the sky but if I felt the desire to send my Red Epic up 400 meters, it would take a much better image.

I'm rambling but my point is, the Phantoms for me were all about fun with some very minor business application but the fun part has been back in place a little by the mere entrance of the Pro but of course I am a gear head and have massive lust. Plus it's a tax write off and it was bought with the revenue spicket of my company so I feel no guilt about blowing another grand on one of the UAS that I have to get very creative with to make money.

I am loving the Phantom 4 with the iPad Pro 9.7. By the way, I can't even imagine having anything larger and it would complete overkill. It's not even the weight. The iPad Mini 2 (my former and short lived Go machine) was 11.7 ounces and the much larger and WAAAYYY faster and MUCH LESS reflective and pen incorporated, 4K camera equipped Pro 9.7 is only 15.7 ounces. To me, they barely feel different in weight. I am so thrilled with it that I am upset at how much time I've spent getting the much inferior piece of machinery to fly my Phantoms. GET THE PRO if money is not an object and I understand it is. But I mean, if you can afford it and it won't prevent you from having dinner but maybe eating rib-eye instead of fillet for a couple days, do it, do it, do it. It is so worth it. I don't know how this pad isn't getting more fan fare. Best tab I've used.

Ugh.
I am loving the Phantom 4 with the iPad Pro 9.7. By the way, I can't even imagine having anything larger and it would complete overkill. It's not even the weight. The iPad Mini 2 (my former and short lived Go machine) was 11.7 ounces and the much larger and WAAAYYY faster and MUCH LESS reflective and pen incorporated, 4K camera equipped Pro 9.7 is only 15.7 ounces. To me, they barely feel different in weight. I am so thrilled with it that I am upset at how much time I've spent getting the much inferior piece of machinery to fly my Phantoms. GET THE PRO if money is not an object and I understand it is. But I mean, if you can afford it and it won't prevent you from having dinner but maybe eating rib-eye instead of fillet for a couple days, do it, do it, do it. It is so worth it. I don't know how this pad isn't getting more fan fare. Best tab I've used.
I have the Air 2 for my P3P's and the Mini 4 for my P4, and both are pretty decent, but both also benefit from a black cloth over the head in direct sunlight flying by FPV. Helps camouflage you from the air, too, while they are "looking for the pilot"! ;)

I have the Air 2 for my P3P's and the Mini 4 for my P4, and both are pretty decent, but both also benefit from a black cloth over the head in direct sunlight flying by FPV. Helps camouflage you from the air, too, while they are "looking for the pilot"! ;)
The Pro is in a different class than the Air 2. I went in there thinking I would get one but left with the Pro and the reflection (at least stock, maybe a shield would eliminate that issue) makes it impossible to fly without an annoying sunshade. I flew in heavy LA sunlight today with the Pro and I couldn't believe it. I don't know if it's brightness, matte, or that new autotone but it looks SOOOO good. Also, it's powerful enough to do some real professional photo editing and even a little tinkering with some video. For instance I could see testing a color correction from a daily just shot with whatever I am flying with in it which usually is reserved for a laptop. It's not quite a lap top killer yet but I am now of the opinion that a tab with the power of a mac book pro is only a couple generations away. I would imagine Apple could have done this a long time ago but why would they want to canobolize their Mac Book Pro line with a much less costly tab but the Surface infringing on some of their tab market share forced their hand. I was actually thinking of buying the cheaper, and more powerful Surface Pro (the 12.x is 899 starting) where as the 12.x iPad is like $1000 starting. Apple is the best and worth the extra cost to me for the service alone. I was speaking to a DJI care guy to just get DJI care for the Pro and in the course of casual conversation, I told him I had yet to buy the pen and we were talking about our daughters (because I told him about my daughter and her ability to draw) and he said how I HAD TO have the pen to her and he wanted to send me one and tried and when he couldn't and knowing I didn't want to spend any money, he want back to a former purchase (now mind you I did not ask him to do this) and said "I just refunded $100 from the purchase" of what was actually my fairly new iPad 5k and said "now go buy it" and I did. What company does that?

And he can see that I've returned a iPad mini and one bad P4 and still did it.

The Pro is in a different class than the Air 2.
No question the brightness and color rendition on the iPad Pro 9.7 beat out the Air 2 when viewed side by side. If I didn't already have the Air 2, I'd get one. I prefer the Mini 4 size for every day use. All the larger 9.7 iPad screen does is blow everything up a little, instead of giving you more real estate in most apps. The split screen and the ability to play YouTube videos in 1440p with the faster Mini 4 processor, and lighter weight make the Mini 4 a joy, compared to my old Mini 2 Retina. Still like the larger 9.7 tablet view for flying, but it's mostly just for framing anyway, and with a pair of reading glasses the Mini 4 does just fine in the shade. Otherwise, I bring along the black cloth.

Sounds like you are getting the kind of help from Apple that I managed to get from Best Buy, once you find a truly helpful store manager, instead of one who announces, "My job is to strictly enforce all policies!" and shows you the door, when asking for real help!

No question the brightness and color rendition on the iPad Pro 9.7 beat out the Air 2 when viewed side by side. If I didn't already have the Air 2, I'd get one. I prefer the Mini 4 size for every day use. All the larger 9.7 iPad screen does is blow everything up a little, instead of giving you more real estate in most apps. The split screen and the ability to play YouTube videos in 1440p with the faster Mini 4 processor, and lighter weight make the Mini 4 a joy, compared to my old Mini 2 Retina. Still like the larger 9.7 tablet view for flying, but it's mostly just for framing anyway, and with a pair of reading glasses the Mini 4 does just fine in the shade. Otherwise, I bring along the black cloth.

Sounds like you are getting the kind of help from Apple that I managed to get from Best Buy, once you find a truly helpful store manager, instead of one who announces, "My job is to strictly enforce all policies!" and shows you the door, when asking for real help!

To be clear, I've NEVER EVER once had a problem with Apple support and indeed if you have a Air 2, it would be a frivolous waste of money to up to the Pro. I was coming from a MIni 2 and they let me upgrade even though it was bought in February.

Yeah, no added real estate but for a 3 ounce differential in weight, the larger screen for me was a no brainier. I brought my RC into the store to try it out and I couldn't feel a difference in weight from the Mini 2 to the much larger 9.7 pro. They had an open box in the back of a P4 and they let me do a side by side comparison of the RC with the Mini and the Pro and I swear, even though the Air is 3-4 ounces lighter than the Pro, because of the size, there was for lack of a better word, the illusion that the larger screen was actually lighter than the Mini simply because you are looking at this monstrosity attached to your RC vs a smaller thing and they feel identical in weight. Plus it fits snug as a bug in a rug (did I just say that am not erasing it?). I need to get off the computer. I should not be on the forums when I am in an artistic mood. It usually leads to a "drunk dial" feeling the next day where I feel embarrassed for expressing myself, especially around here where I usually feel judged although lately, I feel a little more, LITTLE MORE accepted by the PhantomPilots community. At first it was a sort of love/hate thing where you guys loved to hate me. ;) I never understood it as I think of myself as a bleeding heart who loves everyone until I am given a reason not to. It's become a fault as I have grown older and learned the undeniable fact that I am a different breed of person than most as I have learned to give people the benefit of the doubt, before they earn it. I love you as a fellow brother or sister until you are not. Most people I think it works the other way around and I have spent a couple times in this hobby community in general staring in bewilderment about the vitriol that is spit around here sometimes over nothing.

I have had about 3 long posts in a row where I have no idea what I was talking about by the time I get to the end. I truly don't even remember what this thread was about. LOL.

I definitely did my share by the way of getting angry at the beginning and lashing out at some of the people that maybe were just hazing me but I guess I had to earn my wings a little (NPI) before my words, advice, thoughts were met with some stock at the very least.

It took you guys quite a while to realize that I am an ultra intelligent, extremely handsome and very modest man, and for that I thank you. You are all welcome to apply for friendship. See Gadget Guy, he reviews my application and when the time is right, you will be notified, by @Meta4 who is the president of my fan club.

The Adjust Gimbal Roll setting with degrees is already there on both the P4 and the P3 in DJI GO. See below. It's been there at least since last fall in the DJI GO app. This is from 2.72 on iOS.
View attachment 52466
View attachment 52467
Haha. I don't know how I over looked that. When I found it for the Osmo I immediately went hunting for it for the Phantom. I was probably in too much of a hurry to get back to my new toy. Thanks for pointing this out.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Haha. I don't know how I over looked that. When I found it for the Osmo I immediately went hunting for it for the Phantom. I was probably in too much of a hurry to get back to my new toy. Thanks for pointing this out.

I'm still laughing over your video of your first P4 flight, before the app update came out, with the P4 hanging from the rope sling! :D Happy to give back!

Reactions: adambfarmer
All you have to do is hold down one of the C1 buttons, then scroll the camera wheel for a shortcut to the tilted horizon. That is if you can pull yourselves away from your IPpro's

I can never remember which one is which, for the "C" buttons, one of the ones in the back, also it's not the gimbal wheel, but the camera wheel that adjust when holding it in, if you hold both in the remote makes some beeps but can't see that it's doing anything.

It is the right button underneath, and you press and hold it, while simultaneously rotating the right scroll wheel, which will then bring up a green horizon line and a vertical green line down the middle, so you can see the leveling, and which direction you need to rotate the dial. Similarly, if you go into the gimbal settings, and select Adjust Gimbal Roll, the right scroll wheel will also allow adjusting the horizon, while displaying the numeric degree change, instead of pressing on the plus or minus icons for degrees displayed on the screen. Either way works well. However, the changes made this way are lost after the flight. Only a successful Gimbal Calibration can make changes that endure.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj