Poor range after mod

Did you mean to say that you have a P3 Standard? I am flying a P3Pro, and I can easily get out well over 2 miles. Always have been able to go that far and more. I've never really gone to its maximum range. But I bet I could get 3 miles. The Pro version does not use wifi.

no i have the p3 professional 5.8 or something like that but drone nerds would not touch it

If you mainly use it for photography, I can tell you that the video look better on the P3A that the P3S. For some reason, on the P3S, the video has a "wavy" look to it, whereas the P3A is solid with no distortion. I know they both have the same Sony EXMOR senor...however, the P3A can shoot 1080p @ 60fps and the P3S only does 30fps @ 1080p (and 60fps at 720p).

Well, if you never go more than 1000 ft, out the box, the P3S should have been more than sufficient. I firmly believe that quality control plays a big factor in these drones. You'll see posts on this forum of people flying 6000+ ft with only a windsurfer mod, and then there's people like you that can't even go 1500 ft with a 3rd party mod to the controller. Most of us (you included) are only modifying the RC not the antennas on the bird itself. It may end up not being an issue with the ARGtek Range Extender, but the antennas in the bird. Sounds a little contradictory as to what I said earlier, but as I was typing this response it dawned on me that we're only doing 1/2 the modification. It could be as simple as the antenna cable in the bird isn't properly seated.

Looks at all the glue crap in my original controller:

20151203_172633.jpg

Actually the standard uses a Panasonic camera.

I'm very curious as to the areas people are getting these 6000'+ flights. Are these out in the middle of nowhere? I live in Portland, Oregon, which is a big city, but even when I go miles from the city to more underdeveloped areas, I still get "strong interference" messages on my DJI Go app.

Also, people who are having range issues, is it the controller signal or the wifi signal that's limiting you? Because I'll still have 50-75% controller signal when I've reached my max distance. It's always the wifi signal that I lose first.

Also, has anyone out there ever taken apart a controller from a P3S that was getting good distance and compared it with the innards of one that was getting poor distance? It'd be great to see if there's anything obviously different between the two so as to easily find a fix.

To clarify, my distance isn't horrible. My max so far has been 2500'. It just sucks to see great strength on the controller signal but not be able to go any farther.

I'm very curious as to the areas people are getting these 6000'+ flights. Are these out in the middle of nowhere? I live in Portland, Oregon, which is a big city, but even when I go miles from the city to more underdeveloped areas, I still get "strong interference" messages on my DJI Go app.

Also, people who are having range issues, is it the controller signal or the wifi signal that's limiting you? Because I'll still have 50-75% controller signal when I've reached my max distance. It's always the wifi signal that I lose first.

Also, has anyone out there ever taken apart a controller from a P3S that was getting good distance and compared it with the innards of one that was getting poor distance? It'd be great to see if there's anything obviously different between the two so as to easily find a fix.

To clarify, my distance isn't horrible. My max so far has been 2500'. It just sucks to see great strength on the controller signal but not be able to go any farther.
My range on my P3S was the same or worst than yours. 2,000-2,500 feet at best on a good day. I didn't start getting the 5,000 foot range until I got my drone back from the repair shop after a minor crash. Actually, I didn't get the same old drone back. They sent me a new one. Or at least it looks that way. My old one was almost two years old and was starting to look its age. I never crashed it, or treating it hard. Except that last little oops I made. I am very pleased with what they sent to me. I swear it looks brand new, and flies wonderfully. Oh, and yes, I am in open desert when I fly. But I have gone as far as 3,500 feet out from my back yard with the new drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164